Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'add 0.5L' oil level warning

Views : 26671

Replies : 84

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2019, 17:18   #61
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
How do we recognise the breather?
the breather valve is in the plastic cam cover , it connects to the big air inlet hose from Air mass meter to turbo with a short fat rubber hose ...
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 18:36   #62
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
the breather valve is in the plastic cam cover , it connects to the big air inlet hose from Air mass meter to turbo with a short fat rubber hose ...
Thanks.
So it's possible to disconnect the pipe between the cam cover and air inlet hose to check it for blockages? Or is it usually the valve that fails?
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 20:42   #63
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks.
So it's possible to disconnect the pipe between the cam cover and air inlet hose to check it for blockages? Or is it usually the valve that fails?
there are no known problems with the breather out there but a few have congregated here . If the breather is blocked you won't be able to test it at the end of the rubber pipe , you need to do the rubber glove test first ...
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 21:26   #64
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
there are no known problems with the breather out there but a few have congregated here . If the breather is blocked you won't be able to test it at the end of the rubber pipe , you need to do the rubber glove test first ...
I'm just thinking out loud, really. I have no reason to think my PCV system has a fault, although I have needed to add 2L of engine oil in the last 10k miles and occasionally I do get an oily smell coming in through the ventilation system. Yes, I should do the glove test!
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 22:31   #65
gillypop

You might not need to do the glove test. This was mine before I had the top cover resealed at an extortionate cost (and I do not think it has fixed the problem - Car has been to 2 dealers and 1 said positive pressure is normal).

https://youtu.be/9BUfmpIce3U

I have already had low oil since the fix and if I get another in a week (which I am expecting) it will be going back.

I my opinion they just change stuff rather than trying to understand whats going on.
1998 V40 T4 Manual 120,000 miles (Previous)
1998 S40 2.0 Auto 187,000 miles (Previous)

Last edited by gillypop; Nov 21st, 2019 at 22:32. Reason: corrections
gillypop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gillypop For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 22:39   #66
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillypop View Post
You might not need to do the glove test. This was mine before I had the top cover resealed at an extortionate cost (and I do not think it has fixed the problem - Car has been to 2 dealers and 1 said positive pressure is normal).

https://youtu.be/9BUfmpIce3U

I have already had low oil since the fix and if I get another in a week (which I am expecting) it will be going back.

I my opinion they just change stuff rather than trying to understand whats going on.
Wow, quite some noticeable blow-by!

Does it still perform ok and give decent mpg?
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 22:51   #67
gillypop

No symptoms at all other than (at that time) visible oil on the cover, under the car and low oil warnings. MPG is currently 43 with mixed driving.
1998 V40 T4 Manual 120,000 miles (Previous)
1998 S40 2.0 Auto 187,000 miles (Previous)
gillypop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gillypop For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 23:15   #68
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

This is the most current forum that I post on. I am continually amazed that with modern 'state of the art' technology, construction methods and procedures that there is such a wide variety of problems not shared by all of the same units. I would have thought that if one model specific year had an issue then all all would. I have had no problems (EGR fix excepted) in over 100k why is that? One would expect that with computer designed robot built hardware and with such fine and identical tolerances we would all suffer the same issues but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dash300 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 09:12   #69
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash300 View Post
This is the most current forum that I post on. I am continually amazed that with modern 'state of the art' technology, construction methods and procedures that there is such a wide variety of problems not shared by all of the same units. I would have thought that if one model specific year had an issue then all all would. I have had no problems (EGR fix excepted) in over 100k why is that? One would expect that with computer designed robot built hardware and with such fine and identical tolerances we would all suffer the same issues but that doesn't seem to be the case.
You're spot on! A properly applied and tightly-specified quality system results in the exact same product being pumped out time after time. So odd that we have inconsistent experiences... What I've noticed on forum posts is that early VEA engines appear to have a tendency to need oil top-ups, while later ones have a problem with the oil level rising and needing to be drained.

Although I have wondered if those of us who do need to regularly add oil actually have a far worse problem than we realise, because it's being partially masked by the accumulation of fuel in the sump?
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 09:45   #70
Chrisv60

Quote:
You're spot on! A properly applied and tightly-specified quality system results in the exact same product being pumped out time after time. So odd that we have inconsistent experiences.
The obvious difference is the usage pattern. We all know that a diesel car repeatedly driven short distances is more likely to have issues.

My usual journey is 2 miles of town and then motorway which I would have thought ideal. But maybe it means I'm doing motorway speeds whilst the engine is still cold.

The Volvo dealership told me to drive it hard to avoid EGR problems. But I had a Passat which belched out clouds of black smoke if I booted it. So would that produce more soot?

So what is the optimum? I suppose the issue is that cars should be designed to cope with all types of journey and driving styles but that seems particularly difficult with diesels trying to meet emission targets.