Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stop/Start not working

Views : 17901

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2018, 23:08   #21
Tiw5679

I hand a similar issue with battery charging or ambient temp to high/low, charged battery and all ok for about 2 days then back to battery charging. I've since changed the main battery and been working faultless since. I was also getting the low battery warning message in dash if listening to radio for more than about 5minutes with engine off.
Tiw5679 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiw5679 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 13:35   #22
Craig S

Quote:
Originally Posted by np1974np View Post
I have xc70 (65 plate) and i use it about 3 -4 times a week, and lately, message came up saying "low battery", and then the stop start stopped working with a message in the LCD " battery charging or low ambient temperature of high altitude etc .. " I am at 40 metres above sea. I have taken the car for a 100 miles trip on motorway, hoping it would reset, however, I still have the same problem. the battery voltage without the engine running is 12.02 volts, and when the engine is running, it is 15.25 volts. The car seems to start first time. Can you please help me locate the batteries for further investigations . I have located the main battery which is in-front of the passanger side in the engine compartment. Where is the second one?
any help to reset the stop star problem would be appreciated.
NP the main battery sounds like it is the problem. A new battery should hold 12.6v when the engine is not running. much below 12.4v the start stop system starts cutting out. below 12.2v the battery is on its last legs, and at 12v it is classed as discharged.

I had exactly the same thing, in my 2014 d4, started off with the start stop not working, then progressed to the low battery warnings. Had the dealer replace the battery, and all is good. now getting a 12.6v reading on the battery first thing in the morning
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 22:27   #23
K5 Gus

My car is over 4 years old now, and Stop/Start is increasingly unavailable which I'm assuming is a sign that the battery is on it's way out.

Not had any warning messages yet on the dash - is it fine to carry on until I get them, or at this time of year with the cold and extra load of lights/heaters/etc is it best to get it replaced asap ?

I remember reading somewhere on here before Christmas that Volvo batteries were on special offer, pretty sure it was Clan that posted - anyone know if the offer is still going ?
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 11:11   #24
Electronix12

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5 Gus View Post
My car is over 4 years old now, and Stop/Start is increasingly unavailable which I'm assuming is a sign that the battery is on it's way out.

Not had any warning messages yet on the dash - is it fine to carry on until I get them, or at this time of year with the cold and extra load of lights/heaters/etc is it best to get it replaced asap ?

I remember reading somewhere on here before Christmas that Volvo batteries were on special offer, pretty sure it was Clan that posted - anyone know if the offer is still going ?

Having gone through this myself a few years ago essentially what happens is that the battery gets progressively worse until it charges so slowly that even after a 100 mile run it would still be under the stop/start threshold.

Looking on VIDA at the data, the old battery would charge at <2-3A whilst the new one would charge at 20+A initially before dropping as the charge state went up.

It’ll probably last another year or so but one day after not using the car for a few days I barely got it started.

New battery and 2 years/25k miles later still get stop start immediately even after not using the car for a few days.

Long story short: you are ok for another few months but you might as well replace it soon. I got mine from a Volvo Indy for £125 and fitted it myself. Cheaper than everywhere else!
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 22:58   #25
MacV50
Master Member

Volvo stop/start on the manual cars is good and reliable. On my V50 it was still going strong on the original batteries after nearly 5 years and 72k miles.

I hate the set up on the XC auto. It stops the engine below 5 mph when you're still rolling which is just plain annoying when approaching a roundabout or junction. Why can't they set it to stop a second or two after coming to a halt. I've spoken to the dealer but they can't adjust the behaviour at all. Ultimately this just makes me switch it off this negating any benefits!

These days most of my miles are A road with little reason to stop so it's not a problem but just poor design IMHO. Current XC90 is the same so just a Volvo auto "thing"
MacV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2019, 23:00   #26
ubucky

Default 2012 xc60 stop/start

Hi all,

Thought i would share my stop start story, i just aquired my car 4 weeks ago and no stop start function operating,
I checked both batteries the small one showing 13.7v and the large 12.4 which is indeed low as per what the (my car) was telling me, It did push in over 14v when running so all good there,
I even got a low battery warning when sitting with ignition on waiting as we do,
Today i thought id check the tyre pressures so i started car and reversed closer to my garage left it running as it was a bit chilly at least 10 minutes idling,(i know i know).
I then pumped the tyres up to 35psi they were under 30 and lower,
I then drove for about 20 miles parked all day, I had the shock of my life when leaving the city the car stopped at the lights, Of course i panicked and dipped the clutch and it started again (thew).
The only worrying thing is the lights stay on when its stopped draining the battery so i switch it to side lights when stopped as it was dark.
Ill probably avoid using it anyway as starter, ring gear etc, time will tell.
Is there anyway of turning the lights off so just the DRL are on? all i can see is that it needs to be done by volvo.
Just want to add thanks for this group as i have learned a few things.
Keith
ubucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 11:32   #27
Turnwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutgart69 View Post
Will the starter motors cope with all the extra work though?
150k miles on my car. Use start-stop all the the time. Still on the original battery and the engine restarts in less than a second a soon as you start to depress the clutch.

Turnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 11:46   #28
Zebster
Upstanding Member

The system will obviously have been designed to cope with frequently repeated restarting.

My stop/start hardly ever works, always because the battery is 'charging or cold'. However I don't think this means that my battery needs replacing, merely that the system was designed to work with a new battery in near-perfect condition. Leaving my car unused for days on end certainly adds to the problem.
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 17:32   #29
madasaman

My XC60 R design was bought a couple of weeks ago just 1 year old. Didnt realise it had start stop until one day it did. It worked that day and the next then stopped working again. took to dealers and battery was found to be about 65%, so it was changed for a new one. Has worked ever since once car gets up to temperature. It's a pain with no engine temp guage though.
madasaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 23:04   #30
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasaman View Post
My XC60 R design was bought a couple of weeks ago just 1 year old. Didnt realise it had start stop until one day it did. It worked that day and the next then stopped working again. took to dealers and battery was found to be about 65%, so it was changed for a new one. Has worked ever since once car gets up to temperature. It's a pain with no engine temp guage though.
the engine is extremely quick warming up just a matter of a few minutes if you drive off straight away and get going ...

you will be warned in good time of the engine temp is either too hot or too cold it is constantly under observation every second of your journey so knows quicker than you even if there was a needle :-)