Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aircon failing

Views : 3108

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2019, 15:02   #1
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Default Aircon failing

Inside of the windscreen kept misting up on Friday night, so had to keep engaging the 'demist' button to keep it clear. It was hard to tell directly if the aircon was working as the outside air temperature was around freezing, but there seemed to be little dehumidifying effect happening.

Anyone else needed a regas at less than 5 years old?

Assuming I still have the original fill, does anyone know if a dye would have been loaded when new that might now identify any leakage?
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 15:12   #2
volvo s60 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Inside of the windscreen kept misting up on Friday night, so had to keep engaging the 'demist' button to keep it clear. It was hard to tell directly if the aircon was working as the outside air temperature was around freezing, but there seemed to be little dehumidifying effect happening.

Assuming I still have the original fill, does anyone know if a dye would have been loaded when new that might now identify any leakage?

Any chance you have been using ECO+ at that trip?
volvo s60 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo s60 2001 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 15:21   #3
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo s60 2001 View Post
Any chance you have been using ECO+ at that trip?
No, I don't have it.
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 16:21   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

That day was remarkable my car had heavy beads of condensation on all the windows inside first thing in the morning and it was dripping off the glass roof like rain when driving , I put it down to weather conditions as next day it had all dried up . no the car has no leaks .. did you have re circulation on by any chance ? AC systems are sealed they do not need regassing , if they have a leak it is a legal requirement to repair the leak before filling with gas .
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 17:06   #5
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
That day was remarkable my car had heavy beads of condensation on all the windows inside first thing in the morning and it was dripping off the glass roof like rain when driving , I put it down to weather conditions as next day it had all dried up . no the car has no leaks .. did you have re circulation on by any chance ? AC systems are sealed they do not need regassing , if they have a leak it is a legal requirement to repair the leak before filling with gas .
Yes, it was an odd day here too... quite sunny and oddly warm during the day (I went out in the Volvo around lunchtime and everything seemed normal) but then the temperatures plummeted under a cloudless sky. Both my cars had visible condensation on the interior glass when I went out for the evening (however only the Volvo was used).

No, I definitely didn't have the recirc on, I did check! I realise that vehicle aircon systems aren't meant to leak, however my long experience with cars tells me that unfortunately they often do need occasional regassing, although at less than 5 years might suggest an abnormal condition possibly involving stone damage or corrosion to the condenser?

I won't be regassing it myself... I did once try this on my Honda Accord using a Halfords can of R134/PAG and it was such a disaster that I returned it for a refund! I'm pretty sure that the legal responsibility is on whoever refills it to satisfy themselves that there is no gross leak before regassing, although they generally rely upon the vac'ing out stage for this confirmation rather than the proper nitrogen pressurisation.

Any idea if there would be any UV dye present before I fit my trusty old UV bulb into my garage lead lamp and poke around looking for glowing blobs?

I've got a long journey this evening. I'll have a play with the AC controls when I'm bored on the motorway.
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 17:28   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Yes, it was an odd day here too... quite sunny and oddly warm during the day (I went out in the Volvo around lunchtime and everything seemed normal) but then the temperatures plummeted under a cloudless sky. Both my cars had visible condensation on the interior glass when I went out for the evening (however only the Volvo was used).

No, I definitely didn't have the recirc on, I did check! I realise that vehicle aircon systems aren't meant to leak, however my long experience with cars tells me that unfortunately they often do need occasional regassing, although at less than 5 years might suggest an abnormal condition possibly involving stone damage or corrosion to the condenser?

I won't be regassing it myself... I did once try this on my Honda Accord using a Halfords can of R134/PAG and it was such a disaster that I returned it for a refund! I'm pretty sure that the legal responsibility is on whoever refills it to satisfy themselves that there is no gross leak before regassing, although they generally rely upon the vac'ing out stage for this confirmation rather than the proper nitrogen pressurisation.

Any idea if there would be any UV dye present before I fit my trusty old UV bulb into my garage lead lamp and poke around looking for glowing blobs?

I've got a long journey this evening. I'll have a play with the AC controls when I'm bored on the motorway.
Yes volvos have the dye in the system from the factory the only condensers which are suspect are the ford based ones .

It is a bit difficult to do a performance test when the Ambient temperature is near zero ... you could put it on and go under the bonnet and feel the two Alloy AC pipes the small one should be warm and the large one noticeably cold like ice .
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 17:33   #7
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Yes volvos have the dye in the system from the factory the only condensers which are suspect are the ford based ones .

It is a bit difficult to do a performance test when the Ambient temperature is near zero ... you could put it on and go under the bonnet and feel the two Alloy AC pipes the small one should be warm and the large one noticeably cold like ice .
Thanks. It's getting cold outside now but I'll have a feel of those pipes the next free lunchtime I get later this week.

I guess that the system pressure reading can be accessed with suitable diagnostics? What's a typical minimum value?
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 18:51   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
I guess that the system pressure reading can be accessed with suitable diagnostics? What's a typical minimum value?
Yes, Vida can read the system gas pressure along with checks on other temperature sensors (cabin, evaporator etc.) and check correct damper motor operation so that air is being directed as it should.
You can also view the ac relay operation to see if it's coming on when expected.
I don't know the gas pressure off hand but you just double click on the value in Vida and it will explain what you're looking for.

A damp cabin filter or carpeting can also cause misting so check all windscreen drains to make sure water is being diverted and drained away as designed.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 21:29   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks. It's getting cold outside now but I'll have a feel of those pipes the next free lunchtime I get later this week.

The gas pressure is no indication of volume ( weight ) of gas in the system . all it can tell you is that most of the gas is gone if it shows low , Also the pressure can vary wildly due to ambient temperature . around 200 psi is a ballpark figure .
The only way you can tell if the gas is low is to take it out and weigh it , that is what the AC machine can do .
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 01:14   #10
Ian W XC60

Quote:
You and clan are way ahead of me in the technicalities of the Air Con but mine needed doing in spring 2018 at 3.5 years old.
As the weather got warmer I noticed the AC wasn't cooling, did some research on t'interweb and got a firm called Coolcar who did a service on it at home for £69. It's worked perfectly since and if you check their site the service includes more than just a regas.
They're a franchise operation but don't have national coverage so whether they cover your neck of the woods or whether, you'd want to use them given your DIY skills I don't know but the price seemed very reasonable for about an hours work + travel.