Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

engine back fireing hold back ,

Views : 3790

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2007, 17:14   #11
powernut
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartsharp View Post
You might be adjusting the wastegate rod the wrong way. Shortening it (making it looser) will cause overboosting because the rod doesn't have enough reach to open the flap. Adjusting it to make it longer will get the wastegate opening sooner.
ive turned it outwards so it simply sits on the peg, if i wind it in it boosts evern highter /
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 17:16   #12
stuartsharp

Just had another thought - if the ECU senses you are overboosting, it will cut fuel to protect the engine. Maybe this could be some of the reason for your misfiring symptoms? I know you have a remapped ECU, but there must still be a limit in there?
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 17:19   #13
powernut
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNuT View Post
you probably need to speak to someone in the know about boost pressure.... maybe due to pulling half the weight you can get away with running 1.5 bar?????
i can get it to boost to 1.5bar no problem but after it its over 1.2ish starts back fireing and when i deaccelerate it back fires out of pipe which it only used to do when giveing it some hard up hill boot/
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 17:26   #14
stuartsharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by powernut View Post
ive turned it outwards so it simply sits on the peg, if i wind it in it boosts evern highter /
Assuming it's the same type of turbo as you had before, it seems that you must have a problem with the boost control solenoid or the wastegate actuator itself. I would bypass the boost control valve, and any manual valve you may have in there, leaving a direct connection from turbo pressure hose to wastegate

Your boost should then be very weak. If you can still get 1.5 bar there's gotta be a problem with your turbo!
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 17:30   #15
powernut
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartsharp View Post
Assuming it's the same type of turbo as you had before, it seems that you must have a problem with the boost control solenoid or the wastegate actuator itself. I would bypass the boost control valve, and any manual valve you may have in there, leaving a direct connection from turbo pressure hose to wastegate

Your boost should then be very weak. If you can still get 1.5 bar there's gotta be a problem with your turbo!
right if i discontect the bcs its runs crap so ill run the turbo pipe from the houseing to the wastegate and ill go see what happerns thanks matey big help
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 18:31   #16
powernut
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powernut View Post
right if i discontect the bcs its runs crap so ill run the turbo pipe from the houseing to the wastegate and ill go see what happerns thanks matey big help
right tryed that runs crap to be honst,now only time is holding back is on high boost it sputters and i can see the boost gauge needle pulling back ,if i keep the engine floored it steadly over comes it so it carnt be mutch surely/
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 20:47   #17
stuartsharp

What sort of pressures are you getting?

The point of the exercise was to prove that wastegate could do it's job without the control solenoid taking over. Without the solenoid, the wastegate should open very early and the boost pressure achieved should be very small i.e. performance should be poor.

If it's still overboosting and then holding back, something is wrong with the turbo.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 11:00   #18
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Or the actuator or wastegate.

What happens if you force the wastegate open?
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 12:00   #19
powernut
Premier Member

right all i know is it only holds back at 1.2bar of boost if a disconect the bcs it runs crap hardly any boost so thats fine ,no codes,but i notice as the engine boosts up and hits approx 1.2/1.3bar evern thow the boosts there it dosnt seem over powerfull evern thow pressures there, i can see the boost needle in the dash flickeing forward and backwards ,if i keep the engine floored its trying to clear its self ,but wont hit the rev limiter ,i turned the actuator out another 2 turns and i can get low boost output but the engine dosent feel quick,(basicly theres boost and the engine pulls but it dosent have that clean powerfull lift if any of u volvo t5 poeple know,?
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 12:09   #20
bob13

Hi powernut, If it is just on high boost i would look at the ignition, start with the plugs and work back. Had a simler prob once. New leads and plugs and all was fine. I think i have mentioned before about plugs, but if the boost is to high for the plugs they may be beening 'blown' out, try a smaller plug gap.

Last edited by bob13; Mar 11th, 2007 at 12:13.
bob13 is offline   Reply With Quote