Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your x40 today???

Views : 1048900

Replies : 12937

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 15th, 2019, 21:33   #12831
phil_r

Been busy renovating a house, so the old V40 hasn't had much attention recently apart from swapping some callipers and read discs n pads a few months back. Sadly one of the hand brake cables snapped the other week, so bought the parts and had a quote for £60+vat for the work. Had to do the oil change so while the pit was open thought I would give it a go. Read the guide on this site and to be honest I was convinced the bolts would be an issue, anyway all came apart and went back together easily so was well chuffed with myself! With the seats and carpet up it then got hovered, lots of gravel, dirt and bits of wood from a year and a half using the car as a skip and mobile workshop.

Car just passed 210k miles this week, mot is in September and hoping to get another years use from it all being well
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 20:23   #12832
Ressurek

Clean engine Bay !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clean engine.JPG (112.5 KB, 24 views)
Ressurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 17:50   #12833
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

The penalty for living 5km along a rocky mountain track is suspension damage!

A loud crack followed by banging on the body floor: Anti roll bar?
Well nearly, anti roll bar interior support broken.
A nasty bar steward to change.
Managed to do it by removing the strut (for access) and prizing down the subframe (removed the 3 bolts) gave just enough room to get a 1/4" drive 12mm in there to remove the remains and fit the new. Bought a complete anti roll bar with supports from a scrappy 40€.
Whilst the strut was off, changed the top mounting which I'd been hanging on to for 2 years.
All quiet now on the front end front!
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 13:58   #12834
clarkey1984
Premier Member

I started the t4 for the first time since about February, the battery was predictably dead, also both shock tops are leaning inward so that's 2x top mounts to add to the ever growing list of parts it needs.

Stuck the jump leads on and it fired straight up on literally the 2nd whir of the starter, and just sat there purring, every time I start it I pray that the smoke issue has somehow fixed itself but it never has, 15 or 20 minutes idling and here comes the oily blue hue from the exhaust, I'm really not sure what to do with it now, the original plan was to MoT the stopgap car then have the t4 done in time so I could sell the stopgap with a good amount of ticket left while there's still some value there, but it's only got just under 6 months left on it now and will need stuff, and the list of stuff the t4 needs is ever growing, thrust bearing, both fuel pressure regulators, fuel pump, steering rack, I suppose I should do the pcv system while I'm at it, both o2 sensors throw codes and the light on so it'll need those, the front end had got a little bouncy before I laid the car up so front shocks as well as the top mounts, then the turbo is as old as the car on 186k so those aren't cheap, then the engine change in in itself, although at least I've already got that, but then that'll need a timing belt kit, it's probably going to cost more to get it done than what I'd get for it as is, and even if I do finish it it'll still be worth a lot less completed than I could go and buy a younger one with significantly less miles on the clock, I don't know.
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 11:19   #12835
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

The sharp stones on my 5km track are having their way with my tyres. 3 punctures in a month the last one requiring a new tyre. These 205/50/16's are an odd size here in Spain. No one stocks them locally. 205/55/16 no problem. Gotta run around until tuesday with no spare just a tin of squirt!
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 13:55   #12836
Ressurek

Hello Where i can find Arcadia Wheels ? ebay ?
Ressurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 14:32   #12837
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
and even if I do finish it it'll still be worth a lot less completed than I could go and buy a younger one with significantly less miles on the clock, I don't know.
Yes, I seem to be accumulating V40s too, with three currently on the property and space becomming rather tight!

I feel every inch of your pain. I loved my T4, but it was riddled with faults and rusted to buggery. The current plan is to park the T4 in the back garden, put the old green 1600 under the carport, and install the mechanicals of the T4 into the green chassis. This is an huge undertaking, of course, and realistically is unlikely to happen. I'll give it the summer and see where I am after that.

I miss it so much. The diesel is okay, immaculately clean and a lovely thing to ride around in - but by God it's awful to drive. It's as if someone took a gearbox designed for a petrol engine, stuck it on a diesel engine and said "There, that'll do." Real bodge-it-and-scarper stuff. It's no wonder there are complaints about the volvo gearboxes - they truly do suck wet donkey balls! It doesn't match ANY driving condition. It doesn't match the engine at all. I NEVER use 4th gear except on the motorway - the thing is just so insanely over-geared, it's a chore to drive it. I'm constantly switching between 2nd and 3rd. There just simply aren't enough gears to match the power band of the diesel engine. I need a gear 2½!

(side note: If this is what diesel drivers are struggling with, it's no wonder DPF filters are clogging up. My wife, prone to labouring any engine, tends to potter around never exceeding 2000 RPM. This kind of driving, I would suggest, would clog a DPF in no time at all)

Yep. Don't rate it much. Everyone says "Oh, you just got used to your automatic, now you're finding it a struggle to go back", No, it's just a crap gearbox, worst I've ever known in any car.

So I'm kinda in the same boat. Got this wonderful car sat rotting and wondering what to do with it.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 19:26   #12838
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Yes, I seem to be accumulating V40s too, with three currently on the property and space becomming rather tight!

I feel every inch of your pain. I loved my T4, but it was riddled with faults and rusted to buggery. The current plan is to park the T4 in the back garden, put the old green 1600 under the carport, and install the mechanicals of the T4 into the green chassis. This is an huge undertaking, of course, and realistically is unlikely to happen. I'll give it the summer and see where I am after that.

I miss it so much. The diesel is okay, immaculately clean and a lovely thing to ride around in - but by God it's awful to drive. It's as if someone took a gearbox designed for a petrol engine, stuck it on a diesel engine and said "There, that'll do." Real bodge-it-and-scarper stuff. It's no wonder there are complaints about the volvo gearboxes - they truly do suck wet donkey balls! It doesn't match ANY driving condition. It doesn't match the engine at all. I NEVER use 4th gear except on the motorway - the thing is just so insanely over-geared, it's a chore to drive it. I'm constantly switching between 2nd and 3rd. There just simply aren't enough gears to match the power band of the diesel engine. I need a gear 2½!

(side note: If this is what diesel drivers are struggling with, it's no wonder DPF filters are clogging up. My wife, prone to labouring any engine, tends to potter around never exceeding 2000 RPM. This kind of driving, I would suggest, would clog a DPF in no time at all)

Yep. Don't rate it much. Everyone says "Oh, you just got used to your automatic, now you're finding it a struggle to go back", No, it's just a crap gearbox, worst I've ever known in any car.

So I'm kinda in the same boat. Got this wonderful car sat rotting and wondering what to do with it.

I'm in the same situation in regard to space, the 5 berth caravan is at the back, then the t4, then the SE just fits with about a foot to spare before the car would be hanging out on the pavement, and the big trailer I built is on the front lawn, there's just no more room, then if we are planning a caravanning trip the trailer has to come out while the t4 does a 17 point turn into the lawn to get to the thing.

It's definitely a rock and a hard place scenario isn't it, I mean the job in hand actually isn't that bad on paper, all I need is an engine hoist and a week off and I should be able to do it, I plan on leaving the gearbox in situ and just pulling the engine out, but then knowing my luck, some part of that idea will probably go wrong for reasons I don't even know about yet, and as the ARB bushes are a litre tired would it be just as easy to unbolt the necessaries and drop the subframe out of the bottom with everything attached, work have recently got a 3t 2 post lift that is more than capable, but because of its location it ties up nearly half the workshop with a car on it, then there's the cost of all the bits I'll need which is also a major factor, getting everything I think I'll need before I start seems a good idea, or I could just sell it, or I could hope i land one of the next long offshore jobs which we occasionally get and just chuck some money at a local trustworthy garage and let them do it, decisions decisions.

Last edited by clarkey1984; Jul 2nd, 2019 at 19:28.
clarkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clarkey1984 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 22:24   #12839
aldred309uk

Spent the last 2 days replacing the headliner on my V40 because the fabric had started to droop and separate from the rest of the liner. Whilst I was at the scrap yard the car I was taking bits from had the dog guard fittings so I had to convert my roof to a dog guard compatible. Also got myself some upgraded D pillar speakers and the most important part is I managed to get a centre console with cup holders to replace my centre console with the sliding cubby hole. Also got a HU655 radio to replace.my HU605 meaning I can get the ipod and auxiliary inputs working again in the car. Horrendous heat but well worth it in the end. 201k and counting.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 20:17   #12840
V40T4R

Been busy today... replacing fuel filter and primary fuel pressure regulator! Old regulator was full of dirt not to mention the old filter with 50k kilometers on it!

Tags
bacont4, bananahammock, mp3, mp3s, rubbisht4s, uttergarbage