Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Windscreen Washer Pump / Jets / Motor

Views : 28665

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2008, 21:40   #11
GMcL
0's and 1's

Is the pump definitely the problem ?
Reason I ask is I had a car a few years ago with a similar setup. The rear washer worked but only got a little bit of frothing out the front washer jets.
Took the washer bottle out to discover the filter and pump were blocked with congealed screen wash. Cleaned this all out and never had a problem after that.

These days I only use screen wash when the temps drop below zero and use distilled water the rest of the year.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 16:37   #12
sheikhr

thanks. im tipping its the pump itself as I can't hear it at all.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 10:50   #13
sheikhr

Hi

Bought the part from Ford yesterday for £21.24 (instead of £46 at Volvo). Managed to fit it within 30-45 mins but could have done it quicker as I wasted time trying to establish whether the pump I was about to change was the correct one. In the end I just changed it and hey presto...it worked. Will give tips and details in next post...
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 16:06   #14
sheikhr

I managed to change the washer pump from underneath the car and I didnt have to take off the front bumper so it looks like I was lucky that on my year / model, the (rear and front windshield) washer pump was not hidden and not inaccessible. Ive listed all the steps I went through to diagnose and repair. Its probably too detailed but hopefully it will help.

General Diagnosis:

- Determine whether a) front windshield washer b) rear windshield washer c) headlight washers work

- if a or b work but not both: Fuse ok. Most likely to be some sort of blockage. Possibly a faulty pump but I guess very unlikely

- if a and b work but not c, either headlight washer fuse or headlight washer pump blown / not working. Also please note headlight washers do not work if water level low and only work every 4th pull of the trigger.

- if c works but not a and b, either windshield washer pump fuse or windshield washer pump not working

- if a, b and c do not work???? Unlikely that both fuses and or pumps fail at the same time. Perhaps a loose connection on the trigger you pull to activate the washers.

Diagnosis and repair for pipe blockage:

-Check washer jets on top of bonnet / rear windscreen are not frozen / blocked.....perhaps insert pin into the nozzles to unblock

-Open bonnet. Locate the washer reservoir. My washer reservoir was on the driver side of the engine. Top up if low (particularly if headlight washer not working)

-Check for disconnected pipes / blockages in all pipes (clipped in on the underside of the bonnet near the windscreen) and T's which lead up to the washer jets . You can blow / suck the pipes to check for free flow (although its not particularly pleasant for your mouth!)

Diagnosis and repair for fuses:

-Check relevant fuses (refer to owner manual).

In my 2004 SE, the headlight washer jets and the windshield (front and rear) washer jets had 2 different fuses and are operated by 2 different pumps. I think this is consistent with all the models.

I beleive this can differ on different models.....but on mine....

"Fuse box in the passenger compartment within the sound barrier on the drivers side. "Fuse no 34. Washer Pump 15amp." The diagram of the fuse box only goes up to fuse no 30! I managed to find fuse no 34. Its not on the diagram in the book but if you look in the fuse box, its to the left of the main fuses and is the 15amp larger fuse and its numbered (very small) 34 just above the fuse. Use a lamp to see the fuse numbers.

"Fuse box in the engine compartment. Fuse no 15. High pressure washer headlamps."

Washer pump removal / blockage:

- If all the above are ok, its likely to be something wrong with the washer pump. Could be blockages on washer pump but a common issue seems to be a failed washer pump.

- PLEASE NOTE (as sugested by Southport Volvo) that the pump is actually a Ford part and it is less than half the price at Ford £21.24). Ford finis code / part number 1355124 / IS71-17K264-FE. My old pump was suffixed with a FD instead of FE but the new pump seems to work fine.

- Turn wheels to right

- Use a lamp / torch shined on the area (even if its bright outside)

- Get underneath the car and locate the bottom of the washer reservoir

- My washer reservoir was on the drivers side, towards the front end (ie towards the front end of the car) of the wheel arch

-My washer pump was visible at the bottom of the reservoir and towards the back (ie towards the rear end of the car) of the reservoir. It seems other models / years have the pump located at the bottom front of the reservoir (in which case you may need to follow the other instructions to remove the front bumper)

-Washer pump Photo attached athough it looks bigger in the photo. Its prob about 5/6 cm high.

NB. The end that is not visible in the pic, is a round 2*2cm opening which pushes into the reservoir

-Unclip the front end of the wheel arch from the rear end of the front bumper. Mine had one rivet that pushed out.

-Ideally, wedge something between the bumper and the wheel arch so you can get you hand in freely and if you can open further rivets to make access easier, go ahead.

-Get 2 large mixing bowls from the Mrs!! (particularly if you want to keep the washer fluid) (if the reservoir is full it fills up 2 large bowls)

-Before removing the washer pump, try to pull the connector off the top of the pump. (There are no clips but it was very tight). I did not do this but in hindsight, if it was possible to remove connector first it may have been easier).

-Also, I guess you could check whether power is getting to the connector using a multimeter (although I never tried this) and the most likely cause will be a failed washer pump.

-Place bowls under the pump

- Remove the washer pump. This should simply pull / wiggle out.

- If there are any obvious blockages, you may just be able to unblock and reconnect.

-Note down which pipe attaches to which outlet on the pump. (The white outlet linked in with the pipe which had a white insert as well so it was easy to remember.)

-Detach pipes

-If there are any obvious blockages, you may just be able to reconnect.

-Detach connector (if not done before)

Washer Pump replacement:

-To replace pump

-Connect pipes first (making sure you connect the correct pipe to the correct outlet)

-Attach electrical connection at top of pump

-Push fit pump into washer reservoir

-Refill washer reservoir BEFORE testing (and please note the headlight washers will not work when the reservoir water level is low)

-Test windscreeen washers (front and rear)

-If ok, refit pipes into clips

-Reconnect wheel arch to bumper with rivet

- If not ok, I guess come back to the forum!

Good Luck

Last edited by sheikhr; Dec 3rd, 2008 at 16:11. Reason: Photo link added
sheikhr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sheikhr For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 18:07   #15
borderhopper

Default Front washer Ok. Rear washer not working.

I too have a washer problem. Front washer works fine but the rear does nothing - doesn't make a sound. I thought it might be the pump unitl I read that it's the same pump as the front with a twin outlet. Then I thought it might be the switch on the stock but the wipers comes on OK. Any ideas?
borderhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 11:10   #16
sheikhr

A couple of thoughts but nothing conclusive

a) pipe blockage / jet blockage / washer pump blockage for rear outlet but if you cannot hear the pump at all when in reverse mode perhaps it is a pump issue or an electrical issue at the stork simply relating to the push back function which operates the rear

b) washer pump...although the front not working...take a look at this reply in another thread. Perhaps your pump only rotates one way and not the other....personally, if your pump is visible/ accessible as I have described, its pretty simple to change and not that costly so it might be worth a shot. if that doesnt work, you may be able to return it and get 90% of your money back as they take something like 10% off your refund for handling charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The Mondeo pump which is used on 2005 - volvos rotates one way to pump from one outlet and rotates in the opposite direction to pump out of the other outlet , there must be valves inside which stick as the pump rotates and awek jet of water can come from front AND rear jets ! . The Ford ones are the only ones which pack up often, the pre 2005 VDO / Bosch pumps are very reliable normaly . Cost cutting without a doubt . Why use two pumps when one will do = Ford policy, reliability of course = ( was) volvo policy ...
c) if these doen work, perhaps it is the stork. If i rem correctly, you have to pull forward to operate the front and push back in order to operate the back so there are 2 different swtiches (although probably one electrical connection) that is being triggered by the stork. Perhaps the push back is not working

Maybe you can call volvo and ask them which is more likely (pump or stork) and take it from there...
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 12:56   #17
Wiggi

I,ve had a problem with the headlight jets not working, in my fiddlings I have found two micro switches in engine bay fuse box one for the headlight jets the other for the windsceen wiper jets; problem solved. BTW the Volvo techies wanted to change the pump without checking the electrics, at that point I walked away for the last time
Wiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 13:50   #18
VolvoXC90

Smile Washer Pump Replacement

Brand new to this forum. My XC90 washer pump packed up about 2 weeks ago. I dropped in to a Volvo dealership and they quoted £147.00 for pump and fitting... so I thought I would get another quote from a local garage and check the price of these pumps... and whilst surfing I found this forum which has saved me a fortune already!

I'm rubbish at car maintenance but after reading the detailed instructions on how easy it is to replace the pump I thought I would have a look and see if I could do it.

Tried a couple of London Ford dealers for pump and they both quoted £45.87 +VAT rather than the £21 I saw on the forum. Do you think they've put up the prices of spare parts, like Ford have done new car prices, to help dealers make some money?
Anyway, I decided to see if I could find a cheaper version and I stracked down www.simpsonsupplies.co.uk and bought a 'direct fit replacement part' for £10.67 inc VAT and postage...

Just fitted it and took me about 10 mins and it works fine...
THANK YOU

VolvoXC90 2.5T
VolvoXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VolvoXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2009, 21:00   #19
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Which model did you use? Also which Ford is the pump for? It's impossible to find a pump on the net using the part no on it as the first thing that is asked is what model car is it?

All the best.

Roy
Old May 2nd, 2009, 21:35   #20
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

I've just seen that Nordic have the genuine Volvo pump for £37 plus vat.

partsforvolvosonline have a Swedish Scan-tec pump for £14.09 including vat.

Roy