Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Transmission Fluid Service

Views : 645

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread : richmac

Old Apr 24th, 2024, 14:06   #1
Tully

Default Transmission Fluid Service

Hi Everyone

I'm after the spec & capacity of Automatic Transmission Fluid for my 2002 S60T SE (127,000 miles). I've had no luck searching the vast depths of this forum.
I bought it 6 months ago & the previous owner reckoned it's "sealed for life", but it should be red, not dark grey!!!

Many thanks

Tully
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 14:09   #2
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303081766587

Definitely not a lifetime fluid but volvo did try and pretend it was for some reason, you want to drain and fill a good 3 or 4 times at 2-300mile or so intervals

There's ways of flushing it through if you look at videos on YouTube but some say its not the best idea as it can cause damage . Drain and fill is simple if you're OK jacking up the car.

Do an oil change at the same time kill 2 birds with one stone

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Apr 24th, 2024 at 14:15.
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 17:50   #3
keith240
keith240

Default What is a lifetime

Thing is 'sealed for life' is a perfectly reasonable statement to make. Your car is 22 years old and my S80 is 21 with 180,000 miles on the clock. Its never had any transmission fluid changed and the gear change is as smooth as it was 10 years ago when I bought the car with 80,000 miles on it.

Obviously I'm not saying don't change it if you want to but Volvo were quite reasonable in expecting a 20 year old car to have reached end of life. We just know they go on for a lot longer if looked after !
keith240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keith240 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 20:01   #4
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Re "...spec and capacity...":
Spec.
The fluid used was a JWS 3309. Mobil sells it under that label if you can find it.
Toyota Type-IV is the same stuff. Mannol sells 20l kegs many on this board have bought and used.
I've even used Valvoline MaxLife Dex-Merc LV (which is synthetic) as well as Wolf's Head SUSTF (Super Universal Synthetic Transmission Fluid).....all with good results.

Many posters here prefer to pay the premium for genuine Volvo fluid. Lately I've done that too as I no longer keep a stash of fluids.
Many online vendors offer kits with 4l of fluid and an 18mm washer.
That might be the best way for a newcomer.
If Aisin fluid is offered, it's OK as Asin built your transmission.

Capacity.
When you unscrew the drain plug (a 17mm hex head w/ an 18mm aluminum crush washer as a seal), less that 4l will drain.
If you raise the off-side (driver's side UK/Japan) you'll drain closer to 4l.

Measure what you drained and replace that amount.

Rig a funnel into the dipstick tube to fill. DO NOT remove the conspicuous, large hex head fastener atop the transmission as it'll disconnect things and require transmission removal to remedy.
Fill through the transmission dipstick tube.

Doing this 3 or 4 times yields visible results.

Many will scoff at doing these "drain & fills" and opt for a cooling line disconnection with fluid pump-out. I've done this too.
However, you'll be depressing the wings on the green catch and working the cooling line out of the radiator.
All your hardware is 21 years old and will be stiff. Also, you'll need to get two of the cooling line seals. They are plumper O-rings. The old ones in there will be hard and brittle.

Doing one drain & fill then immediately following with a pump out is more efficient as the pump is sucking up clean fluid and you're pumping out bad.
You halt the process with every 2l pumped out. You need time to pour the 2l back into the transmission and it is said you don't want to generate a bunch of bubbles.

However, drain & fills are so fast and simple, many feel 'diluting the dirt' over 3-4 drain & fills is good enough.

I suggest buying 4l of whichever fluid you decide and doing your first drain & fill.

Many parts sites offer kits with 4l of fluid and the 18mm washer. This is a straightforward route and is way easier than you imagine.

Last edited by Georgeandkira; Apr 24th, 2024 at 20:26.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 20:05   #5
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith240 View Post
... Volvo were quite reasonable in expecting a 20 year old car to have reached end of life. We just know they go on for a lot longer if looked after !
fair point I suppose it depends how you define 'lifetime'

mini project - link
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 10:26   #6
Tully

Thanks for all the replies, most useful.

Whilst I'm at it, I must address the "ABS/Anti skid service required" message.
It seems, by the opinions on this forum, that I need to fix/replace the wheel position sensor in the steering column.
It would be nice to have the cruise control working again before my trip from Northumberland to Devon next month
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 10:51   #7
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

there's probably a number of possibilities and the steering angle sensor is one of the more awkward to replace not to mention expensive

only proper course of action is to get codes read and see what the actual fault is. my cruise was being stopped by a faulty brake position sensor. ABS sensors could be faulty on yours, or the reluctor ring on the axle, and so on

guesses can turn out way more expensive in the long run

mini project - link
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 11:30   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith240 View Post
Thing is 'sealed for life' is a perfectly reasonable statement to make. Your car is 22 years old and my S80 is 21 with 180,000 miles on the clock. Its never had any transmission fluid changed and the gear change is as smooth as it was 10 years ago when I bought the car with 80,000 miles on it.

Obviously I'm not saying don't change it if you want to but Volvo were quite reasonable in expecting a 20 year old car to have reached end of life. We just know they go on for a lot longer if looked after !
Volvo have never said sealed for life at all, It is just an urban Internet Myth. Volvo have always have a service schedule for an oil change for a long as i can remember. its 48000 miles in your case and optional like brake fluid ( every 2 years ) when booking in the service reception should quiz you to find out exactly what you need and advise you..

I suggest you get your ATF Changed and properly serviced as per the list !

your service sheet is attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 97001331.Rev.3.12 .pdf (339.4 KB, 12 views)
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 14:04   #9
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Volvo have never said sealed for life at all, It is just an urban Internet Myth. Volvo have always have a service schedule for an oil change for a long as i can remember. its 48000 miles in your case and optional like brake fluid ( every 2 years ) when booking in the service reception should quiz you to find out exactly what you need and advise you..

I suggest you get your ATF Changed and properly serviced as per the list !

your service sheet is attached
Its not an urban internet myth at all. I phoned my local dealership and they told me they don't do transmission servicing... I'm not making it up.

The handbook states that the transmission only needs to be serviced if the vehicle is being used for towing or in arduous conditions. People read that statement and interpret it as "I don't do any towing, so I don't need to bother."

Last edited by Kev0607; Apr 25th, 2024 at 14:07.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 14:45   #10
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

where it says "if a taxi or being used for towing" - it's not clear if they have a higher mileage suggestion for normal useage ? no mention of it that I can see. I suppose when you take it to the stealers for a service the gurus will know when the time is right

anyway because I was looking at the ebay link I posted above, I got one of those discount offers saying £32 for 10litres.. yes please .. got some oil on order as well

MOT next month so I suppose need to leave the welding on the mini for a bit and do a bit of normal servicing

mini project - link