Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ICM Infotainment Stereo packed up?

Views : 28949

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 28th, 2012, 10:19   #41
Daenni

You can get this brace from Dension, too.
It is the article: FOA1TL1
Daenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 16:32   #42
pondside

Default optical cable clip saves the day

I just bought this Volvo XC90 last week at auction and found that the sat-nav DVD wasn't loading fully.
I removed the sat-nav unit and turned it upside down when pop bang and loads of smoke came out, I couldn't get the plugs out fast enough.
It was all caused by a hair clip shorting out and frying the chips, the loading gear was broken anyway so off to Volvo dealer who quoted around £1200.
Blow that says I!
I simply joined the ends of the optic cables together with an optical clip and bought a Garmin Sat Nav which is far better than having a DVD under the seat.
So now I have a redundant screen on the dash but heck I saved a packet and everything works.

That is except for a fault that was already there, namely a warning light saying "the passenger air bag needs urgent service". so I have booked it in to an independent Volvo mechanic to see if he can sort that out plus change all the oil etc. Lets hope its just a reset!
pondside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 17:23   #43
4kidsXC90man

Unhappy New to forum, problem with ICM

Hello,
Thanks for your threads so far - really interesting and helpful.
My XC90 (55 plate) radio and sat nav has decided to go on the blink after 7 years faultless service. Literally it blinks on and off continually - about a second or two on, just enough to hear a few words on the radio, then turns itself off, only to turn itself back on again. The satnav appears to be on the same on/off frequency.

I have checked the fibre optics - red lights showing, however they too are blinking. ie. not a continuous red light. I guess this shouldn't be like this?

I have checked the fuses and they all seem in order.

Somewhat concerned that the ICM has packed up, especially if it costs so much to replace.

Has anyone got any other advice they could offer? What would you suggest I do?

Thanks
4kidsXC90man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 22:09   #44
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kidsXC90man View Post
Has anyone got any other advice they could offer? What would you suggest I do?

Thanks
buy one of these http://www.dvbcaraudio.co.uk/dension...p-p-13964.html
it will allow you to loop out the sub, sat nav, cd, minidisc player, phone module one by one.

from memory, if you have light there at each module - even if its flashing, thats a good sign. My ICM sent red light out and it was my sub module which then shut the system down as it didn't pass the light on.
i helped a guy a few weeks back and his ICM was not showing any light, so we've gathered his icm is kaput.

this was my red light when the sub was blown - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-G8A5QOkEg it flashes. my icm was fine.

i would suggest getting the loop then work through each module. the sub is an absolute sod to reach - it requires a thin arm reaching up behind the rear passenger panel.

try that, then if it doesn't work you might have to look at ICM, but i doubt you'll need to....hopefully.

try this before seeing a dealer. they'll probably say its an ICM as that what their computer says.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2012, 10:47   #45
4kidsXC90man

Thanks Stu for your helpful reply. I will order that cable and have an explore.

I am not that familiar with where everything is in the car.

How many of the components lie behind the radio in the central dash? The car has sat nav, phone, radio and rear sensors, but not a mini disc player.

Where exactly is the sub woofer and amp? You mention behind the rear side panel. Is is the one by the rear fuse box in the boot? I did notice a fibre optic cable hanging below the fuse box.

I know the sat disc is under the passenger seat.

Not sure if there is anything relevant under the drivers seat. I notice a metal grate thing which looks somewhat amp like, but not clear what it is, and if any wires go into it. The carpet seems tightly surrounding it.

Thanks
Old Sep 20th, 2012, 10:53   #46
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
How many of the components lie behind the radio in the central dash? The car has sat nav, phone, radio and rear sensors, but not a mini disc player.

Where exactly is the sub woofer and amp? You mention behind the rear side panel. Is is the one by the rear fuse box in the boot? I did notice a fibre optic cable hanging below the fuse box.

I know the sat disc is under the passenger seat.

Not sure if there is anything relevant under the drivers seat. I notice a metal grate thing which looks somewhat amp like, but not clear what it is, and if any wires go into it. The carpet seems tightly surrounding it.

Thanks
Sat nav under Passenger seat - fibre optic cable enters the rear of it. easily removable cable to test.
Amplifier under Drivers seat - 3 bolts then lifts out - theneasy to remove cable from back of it.
Subwoofer is in rear passenger panel forward of the fuse box. The cable hanging down is daisychained to the Antennae module in the roof - so you should be able to disconnect the connection near the fuse box to test them both at once. However, if it them works, you'll need to remove the passenger side rear internal panel which is a PITA - c.1-2 hours to disconnect the sub at source.
CD is behind headunit.
Phone is behind and below headunit.
ICM is the display - if you remove the headunit - takes a bit of bravery but can be done, check the rear of the ICM is sending out a red light - i expect it will be as you have red light elsewhere in the system, - like i did.

give me a shout if you need any further guidance.
Old Sep 20th, 2012, 16:38   #47
Beavis
Premier Member

4kidsxc90man, i've just pm'd you with a message i had from another member.
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 09:59   #48
4kidsXC90man

Thumbs up

Ok, the loop cable arrived, tested amp, sub woofer and antennae and sat nav and the system did not work still. Removed the head unit and looped out the components. When looping ou the phone unit (at the bottom of the space behind r head unit), the radio and sat nav started working perfectly!

So I guess we have identified the problem is with the phone unit.

Thanks for all the advice.

So now, can I leave the loop in there and replace the head unit - will it fit?! Any advice suggestions about replacing/repairing the phone unit in the space beneath the head unit?

Ben
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 11:34   #49
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Ok, the loop cable arrived, tested amp, sub woofer and antennae and sat nav and the system did not work still. Removed the head unit and looped out the components. When looping ou the phone unit (at the bottom of the space behind r head unit), the radio and sat nav started working perfectly!

So I guess we have identified the problem is with the phone unit.

Thanks for all the advice.

So now, can I leave the loop in there and replace the head unit - will it fit?! Any advice suggestions about replacing/repairing the phone unit in the space beneath the head unit?

Ben
great news. you can leave it in there instead of the phone unit, just leave the phone disconnected. the phone module (so i've heard) is about £1000 too. then sit back and be happy that you've saved loads-of-money.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beavis For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 17:28   #50
4kidsXC90man

Thank you Stu for all your help: