Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Would you buy another Volvo?

Views : 169109

Replies : 615

Users Viewing This Thread : niva441

View Poll Results: Would you buy another Volvo?
Definitely yes 581 54.10%
Likely yes 332 30.91%
Probably no 115 10.71%
No way Nellie 46 4.28%
Voters: 1074. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 13th, 2023, 08:36   #601
rangerovering

I've driven a few different cars, some for quite lengthy periods of time and I've only ever really "loved" 2 of them.

1 is my Range Rover Classic from the 80's, it fits like an old coat, you can't help but grin at the V8 and it's great fun to drive.

2nd is the S60 P2 which I run currently, must be a sign of growing up but I have rarely got into a car and felt like you were welcomed to sit in there and drive. The seats are other wordly, dirving position, comfort, controls are all clear and unfussy, its just a brilliant place to be. And, it still looks great for a 17year old saloon car that sold well but was never the "sexy" choice of it's era.
The D5 keeps the threat of 4 cylinder clatter away, it's good on fuel, can run to massive mileages and is actually enjoyable to service/repair (certainly compared to the RR!!).

Would I buy another Volvo? It would be my first port of call when looking for sure, the safety and ergonomics is a big thing with young kids. My wife and I love the looks of the new XC60 so when the time comes, that will be where we start.
rangerovering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2024, 06:56   #602
Fat Magpie

I am in a similar predicament, I have the funds to buy either a one-year-old XC60 inscription or a two to three-year-old XC90.

My issue, my current 2010 XC60 255,000 km still does all I need, it's utterly reliable and in really good condition. it came highly specced (inc factory fit winter heater module). The older XC60s have aged well. I have given lifts to people (non-car buffs) who think it is four to five years old. I keep bouncing between selling it to buy something more modern or keeping it, it would be like selling an old friend.

Interestingly I have had independent garages offer to poach me away from my current garage to do its servicing, I think independents have been hit hard by leasing contracts and modern car complexity requiring dealer servicing.
XC60 MY10 AWD D5 Summum 205 PS, Geartronic, Winter pack, Aux diesel heater, Xenons, Family pack, Tinted rears, Moonroof, Parking sensor F&R, Premium sound, Car phone, Reversing camera, Lane departure, Hill decent, Savile Grey.
Fat Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 19:00   #603
The Thong
VOC Member

I didn’t, I went over to Subaru. After being let down by two dealers and the high price of S/H Volvo’s. I enjoyed my Volvo time but they’ve lost the plot.
I’m just about to upgrade to another Subaru.

Why am I still lurking around the VOC?? It’s because I like it here.

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2024, 15:15   #604
Kev0607
Premier Member

I like my P3 S80, but with ULEZ likely expanding to more areas and the prices of cars in general at the moment, I'm not so sure would my next car be another Volvo. Maintenance wise, its been a good car to be fair, but I've found parts are pretty expensive. Its not particularly economical either, but I guess its a big car with an aging diesel engine fuel efficiency wise (euro 4).

To get a euro 6 diesel to meet emissions standards with relatively low miles is crazy money, so that sways me towards petrol. In saying that, petrol Volvo engines are too thirsty for my liking (worse than the D5) and I don't want to buy an older car than I already have because more often than not, that presents problems simply due to age.

I don't think my next car will be a Volvo, unless prices drop significantly. I don't think the new Volvo's are as good as the old, nor does the mechanic I use.

My next car will probably be something smaller and more economical. From what I've researched, Volvo don't really offer that. Its either 14k+ for a euro 6 diesel (too expensive for me) or 6/7k for a petrol that you'd need a fuel tanker behind because they're so bad on fuel.

Therefore, my answer to the poll is "probably no".

Last edited by Kev0607; Jan 29th, 2024 at 15:26.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 22:38   #605
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I like my P3 S80, but with ULEZ likely expanding to more areas and the prices of cars in general at the moment, I'm not so sure would my next car be another Volvo. Maintenance wise, its been a good car to be fair, but I've found parts are pretty expensive. Its not particularly economical either, but I guess its a big car with an aging diesel engine fuel efficiency wise (euro 4).

To get a euro 6 diesel to meet emissions standards with relatively low miles is crazy money, so that sways me towards petrol. In saying that, petrol Volvo engines are too thirsty for my liking (worse than the D5) and I don't want to buy an older car than I already have because more often than not, that presents problems simply due to age.

I don't think my next car will be a Volvo, unless prices drop significantly. I don't think the new Volvo's are as good as the old, nor does the mechanic I use.

My next car will probably be something smaller and more economical. From what I've researched, Volvo don't really offer that. Its either 14k+ for a euro 6 diesel (too expensive for me) or 6/7k for a petrol that you'd need a fuel tanker behind because they're so bad on fuel.

Therefore, my answer to the poll is "probably no".
I find with modern diesels is when they’re running fine, they’re great. If they develop a problem with the DPF or Adblue system garages, even dealerships seem to struggle to fix them. I had a Transit Connect that had a turbo pipe fail. It didn’t take long for the DPF to clog up. Pipe replaced, and DPF cleaned out the van trooped up and down the motorways of the U.K. The emissions light kept coming in so the garage who fixed it tried to sirt it. The it went to a main dealer who tried to fix it. Changed a sensor aaaaannnddd…. The Emissions light kept coming on intermittently to the point I just ignored it. I’ve head this with other manufacturers where the emissions system loses its mind and nobody seems to be able to fix it. My neighbour has the same issue with his E6 Connect and he’s just traded it in for a Petrol Peugeot van that…. Yes you guessed it, has a timing belt that’s oil fed that comes with its own issues. Both out 1.5 diesel transits have this oil fed timing belt… That’s another story.
Modern engines are a pain when they fail but I’d reckon petrol engines are the lesser evil. Progress eh?

TT
Old Jan 31st, 2024, 13:18   #606
Fat Magpie

There was an article in Honest John about this very issue affecting all Euro 6 diesel. They stated that all is good when new or a few years old. But such is the complexity of the emission systems as they age and sensors, etc, start to mature, problems can arise, expensive problems that take a good deal of effort to resolve. It's a gamble with any modern diesel; after maybe five years, bills could be expensive, or you may be lucky and have no issues. I guess good fuel and regular maintenance are the key.
XC60 MY10 AWD D5 Summum 205 PS, Geartronic, Winter pack, Aux diesel heater, Xenons, Family pack, Tinted rears, Moonroof, Parking sensor F&R, Premium sound, Car phone, Reversing camera, Lane departure, Hill decent, Savile Grey.
Fat Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2024, 14:26   #607
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
I find with modern diesels is when they’re running fine, they’re great. If they develop a problem with the DPF or Adblue system garages, even dealerships seem to struggle to fix them. I had a Transit Connect that had a turbo pipe fail. It didn’t take long for the DPF to clog up. Pipe replaced, and DPF cleaned out the van trooped up and down the motorways of the U.K. The emissions light kept coming in so the garage who fixed it tried to sirt it. The it went to a main dealer who tried to fix it. Changed a sensor aaaaannnddd…. The Emissions light kept coming on intermittently to the point I just ignored it. I’ve head this with other manufacturers where the emissions system loses its mind and nobody seems to be able to fix it. My neighbour has the same issue with his E6 Connect and he’s just traded it in for a Petrol Peugeot van that…. Yes you guessed it, has a timing belt that’s oil fed that comes with its own issues. Both out 1.5 diesel transits have this oil fed timing belt… That’s another story.
Modern engines are a pain when they fail but I’d reckon petrol engines are the lesser evil. Progress eh?

TT
I agree, diesels are good when they're running fine. There's just so much to go wrong with them though, especially as they've got more and more complicated as the years progressed. I know petrol presents its own problems and aren't always trouble free either, but generally, they aren't as expensive as a diesel when things go wrong.

You can tootle around town in a petrol car fine, do that in a diesel regularly and you'll end up with all sorts of problems. Diesel's have to be driven, and arguably, need to be maintained more than a petrol. I can see the benefit to having a petrol, even if it may cost more on fuel than a diesel because the mpg isn't usually as good, but there's less to worry about with regards to blocked EGR's, DPF's and so on... I think a petrol would "pay" for itself in ways. Just a shame that Volvo petrol engines are big and are a bit too thirsty for my liking.

I've heard of the wet timing belts in Ford's and other cars/vans they make. I'm not sure if other manufacturer's use this wet timing belt, but it seems like a stupid idea to me! Funny things is, nowadays, there's so many vehicles that actually use engines from other manufacturer's. For example;

-If you buy a Mercedes Citan diesel 1.5 van or Mercedes A-Class hatchback diesel (not the 2.0 litre, the smaller one, 1.5 or 1.6?), they both have a Renault engine.

-Buy a 1.5 Nissan Qashqai diesel... guess what? It has the same Renault engine used in the Mercedes Citan and Mercedes A Class.

-If you buy a new shape 2.0 litre diesel Nissan Primastar van, it has a Renault engine. The same engine is used in the Renault Trafic van.

-Buy a Citroen Relay van, it has a Peugeot engine. The same engine is used in the Vauxhall Movano and Peugeot Boxer vans.

-If you buy a Citroen Berlingo diesel van, it has a PSA engine that's used in many other vehicles on the market today. Some Volvo's use this engine!

The point I'm getting at is you may think you're escaping from engine troubles buying another vehicle, but chances are, you aren't buying a vehicle with an engine made by the manufacturer you're choosing to buy from (examples above show that)! Its good in ways I suppose, such as parts being more readily available I guess, but a very grey area if you don't do your research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Magpie View Post
There was an article in Honest John about this very issue affecting all Euro 6 diesel. They stated that all is good when new or a few years old. But such is the complexity of the emission systems as they age and sensors, etc, start to mature, problems can arise, expensive problems that take a good deal of effort to resolve. It's a gamble with any modern diesel; after maybe five years, bills could be expensive, or you may be lucky and have no issues. I guess good fuel and regular maintenance are the key.
Yep. Maintenance is key, but even then, problems can arise! I think this is why lots of businesses with fleets of modern vehicles lease them. By the time any major problems do arise, then those vehicles are just swapped for something new under a new lease agreement and warranty. Or, if problems arise early within the lease agreement, they get an alternative vehicle to use whilst the other(s) are being fixed.

This is why leased vehicles are so popular. Yes, you don't own them, but when you think about it... You're basically paying to rent a new vehicle for x amount of years for around the same figure as what you'd lose on depreciation fully financing the same vehicle to own outright in x years. People often say "Oh, I'd never lease a vehicle, its a waste of money because you'll never own it", but they'll go out an buy a car on HP finance and lose thousands on depreciation, with a view to eventually owning it (often they don't, they swap for something else early).

The thousands lost on depreciation would more often than not lease them a new car anyway, and, what would the difference be if they never stick to the full term of the original HP agreement to outright own the vehicle they've paid finance on for the last x number of years? Its the same thing... they don't outright own the car on HP finance unless they settle it early or make all the payments. They don't own the leased car either. The only difference is you have the chance to own the car on HP, but generally, the vast majority don't. They just keep financing and financing, never actually owning the cars they've financed.

I think this way in thinking usually works best with your normal every day cars/vans. If you want to lease a luxury vehicle, then the lease payments are usually through the roof.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jan 31st, 2024 at 14:54.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2024, 17:00   #608
david480

I drive a C30 and would love to buy another but they stopped making them in 2013. There is no sign of my one kicking the bucket just yet but I do wonder what I will do when I have to move on. There is nothing in the present Volvo line up that I find attractive, they are most ungainly tanks. It's sad Volvo (like most manufacturers) have given up on making small cars. So, although I would like to, I probably won't buy another Volvo.
david480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2024, 18:06   #609
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

You can say I'm a cynical ol' git (you wouldn't be the first) but I get the feeling that those holding the reins are hell-bent on getting diesel and petrol engines off the road whether we like it or not.
Old Feb 1st, 2024, 14:25   #610
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgeonpost View Post
You can say I'm a cynical ol' git (you wouldn't be the first) but I get the feeling that those holding the reins are hell-bent on getting diesel and petrol engines off the road whether we like it or not.
That's exactly what's happening...

Its good for the environment though, right?