Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Group remap?

Views : 16917

Replies : 209

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2012, 17:04   #41
s70t5chris

Just my 2p worth...

You get what you pay for in my opinion. That doesn't mean you have to pay through the nose for things, it just means that a premium product does sometimes come at a cost. And nine times out of ten, hunting around for the cheapest possible option is going to leave you with an inferior product.

The problem you have with remap companies is the majority are using generic files that cost them peanuts, sometimes nothing, to get hold of. They work, yes, but do they work well?

I personally would go with a company that does write their own remaps, specific to your car, and are proven.

I have heard good things about Shark Performance, and they seem to talk a lot of sense to me. And in my opinion, the price they quoted for the group discount is very good. I personally am a fan of MTE, and currently this would always be my first route if I needed another remap.

You can harp on about your £150 remaps all day long, and try and convince yourself and everyone else that it's the best thing since sliced bread, but you'll never convince me.

When getting involved with the tuning side of cars, I think it is unwise to do it 'on the cheap'. And this also refers to how you look after your car once it's tuned. I would never consider using cheap petrol, cheap oil, cheap brake pads or cheap anything. And like I said that doesn't mean paying through the nose either, it just means, do it properly!

That's my opinion anyway...
s70t5chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to s70t5chris For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 19:08   #42
LJD
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by s70t5chris View Post
Just my 2p worth...

You get what you pay for in my opinion. That doesn't mean you have to pay through the nose for things, it just means that a premium product does sometimes come at a cost. And nine times out of ten, hunting around for the cheapest possible option is going to leave you with an inferior product.

The problem you have with remap companies is the majority are using generic files that cost them peanuts, sometimes nothing, to get hold of. They work, yes, but do they work well?

I personally would go with a company that does write their own remaps, specific to your car, and are proven.

I have heard good things about Shark Performance, and they seem to talk a lot of sense to me. And in my opinion, the price they quoted for the group discount is very good. I personally am a fan of MTE, and currently this would always be my first route if I needed another remap.

You can harp on about your £150 remaps all day long, and try and convince yourself and everyone else that it's the best thing since sliced bread, but you'll never convince me.

When getting involved with the tuning side of cars, I think it is unwise to do it 'on the cheap'. And this also refers to how you look after your car once it's tuned. I would never consider using cheap petrol, cheap oil, cheap brake pads or cheap anything. And like I said that doesn't mean paying through the nose either, it just means, do it properly!

That's my opinion anyway...

read it as it was written.....

£150 was for a block booking of 10 cars done by one of or if not the Best Golf tuners in the UK . Far more proven record than Shark to date .

Thats £1500 for very little effort on the day and nothing in parts etc . Not a bad earner . now Almost £4000 is a huge amount and one i do not think can be justified . I just wonder how much "truth " is been told. How many maps are "stolen" or copied or adjusted etc ? Against a 100% written from scratch
fully individual type map. I think most are just altering good stock maps .

once word gets out about a good group "buy" other tuners will step forward i am sure . And i wonder what we will be told and learn ?

what i think is 100% BS is a Swedish map will be better than a Uk map !

this again is marketing

You guys are mad to enter into a group rolling day for more than £250.00

For a start they need you , I doubt they would want to lose such a easy earner ! and they need the publicity .The Volvo mapping scene is very small in the Uk and i think this is the problem . If a good mapper could offer a excellent "stage 1" for less than £200 that gave a good level of pleasure without risking the car or clutch going nuts , i can see far more than 10 forum members been interested .
I suggest members look into other forums and see whats going on. The MK1v forum been very good for Golfs and skodas etc .The R-tech stage 1+2 maps have fast become some of the best value maps ever . very few cars or owners NEED a full custom map. many think they do........... but in reality they dont. Once they have driven a good stage 1 etc they just say wow and smile.
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 19:19   #43
d2k

Exclamation

i was doing a bit of digging on these Angel guys..

i found this Mercedes Motorsport site offering remaps via Angel Tuning, some of these cars are SERIOUSLY complex .... these guys are certainly starting to look quite competent at what they do..??

check this out...

who knows...... i certainly dont, lol

Old Jun 9th, 2012, 19:32   #44
chiptivo
Premier Member

Don't for get to factor in the increase in insurance after telling them you have had a engine enhancement modification.

If you say NO to the modification question, you are committing fraud, invalidate any claim if caught, and are technically not insured.

Just something else you really have to consider guys..
chiptivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 19:35   #45
d2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptivo View Post
Don't for get to factor in the increase in insurance after telling them you have had a engine enhancement modification.

If you say NO to the modification question, you are committing fraud, invalidate any claim if caught, and are technically not insured.

Just something else you really have to consider guys..

i bet your a real blast at parties......lol
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 19:45   #46
LJD
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2k View Post
i bet your a real blast at parties......lol
show me the records where insurance companies have had a car inspected for mapping etc . I doubt if any ever get checked . And most people are smart enough to sort that issue out after a crash etc !

Insurance companies these days just pay out . they do very little work. thats why we pay such high premiums . Also whats to say you bought the car like that ? is there a legal requirement to have the ECU tested etc ?
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 21:19   #47
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD View Post
show me the records where insurance companies have had a car inspected for mapping etc . I doubt if any ever get checked . And most people are smart enough to sort that issue out after a crash etc !

Insurance companies these days just pay out . they do very little work. thats why we pay such high premiums . Also whats to say you bought the car like that ? is there a legal requirement to have the ECU tested etc ?
Insurance companies maybe/maybe not.

Plod investigators almost definitely will if you've been involved a bad one.

http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/15610-i...20#entry181276

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 21:31   #48
LJD
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
Insurance companies maybe/maybe not.

Plod investigators almost definitely will if you've been involved a bad one.

http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/15610-i...20#entry181276
Bung the poor buggers a £10

the way they moan about wages and pensions makes me cry !

I heard of one subaru that was involved in a "naughty" crash and the owner was 100% going to fast etc .He managed to get his ecu removed. The police could do nothing as they seem to have no laws saying it needed to be produced ??
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 21:39   #49
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD View Post
Bung the poor buggers a £10

the way they moan about wages and pensions makes me cry !

I heard of one subaru that was involved in a "naughty" crash and the owner was 100% going to fast etc .He managed to get his ecu removed. The police could do nothing as they seem to have no laws saying it needed to be produced ??
that all depends on the accident, if there is a fatality they would have confiscated it 100%. I know this for a fact as my mate is an accident investigator for the police.
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 22:52   #50
LJD
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrider311271 View Post
that all depends on the accident, if there is a fatality they would have confiscated it 100%. I know this for a fact as my mate is an accident investigator for the police.

well in situation like that i understand .But for the average driver the chances are almost nil . more chance of winning the lottery 2 weeks in a row .