Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying a used 850

Views : 461

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2016, 12:58   #1
thecostakid

Default Buying a used 850

Hi there members. I am hoping buy a Volvo 850 GLE within the next week or so. I now live in Spain, and looking through Ebay.es I found a very nice looking 1995 850 GLE. It is now 21 years old, one owner from new. He is now 90 years old and is not allowed to drive any more? The car has only done 74,000 Kms About 50,000 miles approx. It has been garaged all of its life, and is in immaculate condition. My main concern, although the present owner has sent me all of the relevant documents, is the long gaps in its Service History? The last one showing in the service book, was at 45,000 Kms, which was back in I think either 2007, or 2009. and all of the stamped service, just seem to indicate oil changes only, and just one top up of the aircon gas. It`s almost as if the owner, was convinced that as it was a premium make and model, that perhaps it didn`t really need every service, as it was running perfectly Ok? but it did pass its ITV (MoT) on Friday, with flying colours.
He is asking €2000,00 euros for it, which seems reasonable! as I believe it cost €13,400 when new. I think it is possibly the best value for money available here in Spain. Also, I have never owned a Volvo before. So I would appreciate any members opinion on this proposed purchase. Many thanks in advance,

Last edited by thecostakid; Dec 6th, 2016 at 12:59. Reason: spelling errors
thecostakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2016, 16:28   #2
cyclogenesis

Overpriced in my opinion. Yes it is low mileage (verified?) but it is a GLE and an older one at that. If it was a T5 or a T5R/R I would consider that price. Others may disagree.

There will almost certainly be things that need sorting out if it has not been maintained frequently. Only an inspection will establish the truth but if it has an MOT, then drive it until it break and sell it on.
cyclogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2016, 11:00   #3
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

The old boy may well have become too doddery etc to get the car serviced, it may be full of dents from diminishing spacial awareness, only way to know if the car is any good is a proper look.
Im delighted that someone thinks its worth e2000, makes our immaculate 40,000-miler with excessive fsh worth even more
Ours looks and drives like a nearly-new car. So should his. If it isnt tight, responsive etc than its just another old banger.
Old Dec 7th, 2016, 15:14   #4
capt jack
VOC Member

The value of this car is whatever a buyer will pay. €2000 is £1700 and a 20-odd year old 850 would have to be very special to be worth £1700 in the UK. But in Sapin things could be different!

Will it be OK having not been serviced in 10 years? In short that has to be no. It's a Volvo and therefore very good, but all cars deteriorate through lack or maintenance and lack of use.

In simple terms, all metals oxidise, all plastics and rubbers degrade, and all fluids deteriorate. The extent to which any or all of these things have happened will depend a lot on the storage conditions.

Once you start using the car I'd predict that the most likely problem areas would be:

Tyres - will have started to perish. The safest option would be new ones.

Rubber and plastics - found all over the car - in brake calipers, engine oil and water channels, body panels, window and door seals etc. These might be absolutely fine, or you might start getting leaks.

Rubber and plastic bushes in the suspension. Again, might be fine, or might start rattling and creaking.

Fluids - petrol degrades over time, and if you try to run the car on stale petrol it will smell horrible, and might cause problems with emission control sensors. Oil thickens and degrades, so there's a chance that small oilways could be clogged. Antifreeze probably isn't too much of a worry in Spain, but the anti-corrosion properties of the coolant will be. Leaks are a potential issue. Brake fluid absorbs moisture and should be replaced before the car goes back on the road.

Oh and I'd be tempted to replace the battery.

Of course, you'd be unlucky if all these things become a problem, but you need to be aware that no matter how little-used, a 21-year-old car that's been untouched for a long period of time won't be factory fresh!

The selling price ought to reflect that, but then again, what else could you buy for £1700 that would have the potential to be as good as a Volvo 850?

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote