Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can I retro fit a used spare wheel winch to my 2007 XC90

Views : 893

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2018, 15:50   #1
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.
Default Can I retro fit a used spare wheel winch to my 2007 XC90

Hi, I have just bought a 2007 07 reg XC90 D5 and on checking prior to purchase I saw that there was no spare wheel fitted nor was there a winch.

On my car there looks to be a blanking plate exactly in the location of where the winch would fit.

Will a used winch simply bolt in place of the blanking plate as I feel very uneasy about having no spare especially as I tow a caravan and it doesn't bear thinking about if I had a puncture with the van on the back that could not be repaired with a silly can of goo.

Many thanks

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 18:49   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

If you have twin tailpipes like on an R-Design then you cannot fit a spare wheel under the cargo area. There is no room. This may be why no winch was fitted.

Otherwise, I see no reason why you cannot fit the winch.

And for other good news: the winch does not have to be programmed to the car, nor does it require software updates.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 19:00   #3
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Hi Swiss, mine is a straightforward SE with single silencer box to the left so I will look to gather the parts and fit.

What a stupid option to have no spare wheel

The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 19:45   #4
soapytwist
VOC Member

Bear in mind that you need the winch handle from the toolkit as well as the winch, and only an emergency spare wheel will fit in the cavity.

Past: 1991 940 Turbo SE, 1995 960 2.9 16v, 2005 XC90 T6 Executive
soapytwist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soapytwist For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 21:51   #5
Whizzer

I too was not happy without a spare (albeit a space saver) and retro fitted the winch and space saver.
After trying to find the correct / decent condition via e.bay, I must confess to purchasing direct from Volvo.
I can dig out part numbers and costs if required but would also offer the following of how to fit from my previous posting....
Installing the winch.
Just fitted (this afternoon) a new winch to my 09 SE Lux (bought last month but cannot be without spare!).
As Rooster says - it's a tight fit but can be done without taking the rear seats out.
Basically the right hand rear seat runner obstructs clear access to the winch install, however...
Remove the three bolts/ nuts securing the battery top-most restraint (which sits over the plastic battery shroud).
Undo the rear most torx screw of the seat runner (that obstructs the winch location).
Slightly further forward on the same runner undo the small torx head bolt and nut.
This releases the seat runner sufficiently to manoeuvre the new winch into place under the seat runner.
Apparently there are two different versions of the winch (by part number), I bought the later winch p/n 30714793 and kept fingers crossed.

A word of caution..
Apparently the cable in the winch can become tangled / jammed when winding back in with no weight on it (i.e., if you have had to use the spare), so when winding it back in keep tension on the cable, or you might find you need to buy another!

Hope that helps.
Whizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whizzer For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 12:55   #6
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzer View Post
I too was not happy without a spare (albeit a space saver) and retro fitted the winch and space saver.
After trying to find the correct / decent condition via e.bay, I must confess to purchasing direct from Volvo.
I can dig out part numbers and costs if required but would also offer the following of how to fit from my previous posting....
Installing the winch.
Just fitted (this afternoon) a new winch to my 09 SE Lux (bought last month but cannot be without spare!).
As Rooster says - it's a tight fit but can be done without taking the rear seats out.
Basically the right hand rear seat runner obstructs clear access to the winch install, however...
Remove the three bolts/ nuts securing the battery top-most restraint (which sits over the plastic battery shroud).
Undo the rear most torx screw of the seat runner (that obstructs the winch location).
Slightly further forward on the same runner undo the small torx head bolt and nut.
This releases the seat runner sufficiently to manoeuvre the new winch into place under the seat runner.
Apparently there are two different versions of the winch (by part number), I bought the later winch p/n 30714793 and kept fingers crossed.

A word of caution..
Apparently the cable in the winch can become tangled / jammed when winding back in with no weight on it (i.e., if you have had to use the spare), so when winding it back in keep tension on the cable, or you might find you need to buy another!

Hope that helps.

Thanks very much, I followed your advice and it was very quick and easy job doing it that way.

It's cost me a total of £100 for a good winch and a very good 18" space saver , jack and handle .

I feel a lot safer with this set up rather than a can of goo.

Old May 2nd, 2019, 16:29   #7
Laughingboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzer View Post
Installing the winch.

A word of caution..

Hope that helps.
Great advice , worked perfectly for me, I would add that you need to replace the foam/mat before you put the torx back in, the gap is too tight afterwards (d’oh!).
Laughingboy is offline   Reply With Quote