Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

v70 steering wheel wobble

Views : 1866

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2016, 21:33   #1
chrisbox

Question v70 steering wheel wobble

At low speeds the steering wheel oscillates in my hands. At higher speeds I can feel vibration as if the wheels are out of balance (which cannot be the problem if the stering wheel does what it does). I put this down to a driveshaft problem and replaced the nearside shaft complete. Made no difference. Before I replace the offside shaft, can anyone (Chris Rogers?) shed any light on my problem. I can understand that if a wheel bearing had failed, you would get a similar situation, but reading other posts it seems this is not a common problem on Volvos & no play is apparent on either wheel and there is no 'lancaster bomber' droning. I was starting to wonder if the power steering or perhaps the rack was at fault (it has done 208k miles), have checked fluid level & is OK. Any thoughts/suggestions gratefully received.
Old Dec 2nd, 2016, 21:55   #2
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Chris

Have you checked the (probably front) tyres for "out of round"?
Easiest way is to take them in to a tyre shop, discuss the problem, ask for them to be balanced, and look at them as they spin on the balancing wheel.

HTH
Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2016, 22:00   #3
byootox
Premier Member

As above a distorted or out of shape tyre could cause this.
I'd be checking this before condemning driveshafts.
Is the fault worse under hard acceleration then better when on over run ?
If the tyres check out ok then I'd strip the inner cv to bits and check the inside surfaces.
Old Dec 2nd, 2016, 23:02   #4
Luxobarge
Premier Member

As above, favourite is a wheel problem - bent, out of balance, damaged tyre etc. A quick and easy way to narrow it down to tyres or not is simply to swap the fronts for the rears, and see if it makes a difference.
Old Dec 5th, 2016, 11:00   #5
chrisbox

Default Many thanks

Thank you Steve and sorry for the tardy reply. You could well be right about a wheel/tyre running out of true. I will put the front wheels up on axle stands and watch carefully. I had an advisory last year for a damaged cv joint boot, so that's why I pulled the nearside driveshaft out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSarre View Post
Hi Chris

Have you checked the (probably front) tyres for "out of round"?
Easiest way is to take them in to a tyre shop, discuss the problem, ask for them to be balanced, and look at them as they spin on the balancing wheel.

HTH
Steve
Old Dec 5th, 2016, 11:07   #6
chrisbox

Default Thank you

Thank you for your suggestion. I will examine carefully (and I have other wheels I can substitute). As for under hard acceleration, the answer is probably the vibration is worse, but the steering wheel wobble is really only noticeable at low speeds. It could well be wheels/tyres running out of true and an inner CV joint problem. I will experiment and report back.
Old Dec 5th, 2016, 11:13   #7
Austin160
Master Member

Default V70 steering wheel wobble.

I think there is a danger here of ignoring - as second best chance- the tyres themselves.
If it were mine - as has been recommended - I would be simply but thoroughly inspecting the tyres ( best on a wheel balancer), and only when it's been confirmed that all is well, would I be looking anywhere else for the cause of this problem.
Austin160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2016, 15:09   #8
Mjcole

hi,

Could it be that both your inner and outer steering rack ball joints are worn.

Mike.
Mjcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2016, 21:42   #9
thealchemyst
Master Member

Or you have to much/little toe, can cause wobble and vibration as tyres constantly scrubbing then trying to regain their shape. Similar symptoms also caused by worn bushes
1995 850 t5 glt estate purple,FK-40mm,stainless exhaust polybushed,wilwood4pot+s60r discs,mbc,019 battery,18" c30 alloys,michelin pilots,silicone hoses,braided brake lines,HID's,ipd track swaybars 25+mpg :0) @Prescott Hillclimb

Last edited by thealchemyst; Dec 5th, 2016 at 21:44.
thealchemyst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering wheel wobbles