Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Do you have a television set ?

Views : 1351

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 09:11   #1
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Default Do you have a television set ?

We don't !

Recent discussion in these forums regarding the latest "Top Gear" programme has made me wonder how many there are who, like us, do not own a television set.

My parents bought their first in 1959, when I was 10, and I bought an early colour set for my mum in the early '70s after my dad died. When she herself died some years later, I was married and we sold the set as part of her flat clearance - could have sold it several times over, in fact!

We have never since felt the need of a set, but did however decide to keep Linda's mum's after she died in '13; not to use as a TV, but because it incorporated a DVD player, and we were watching our few DVDs on the computer!

We sometimes feel disadvantaged when the conversation turns to "Did you see 'xyz' last night?", but otherwise do not regret not having one. In case you're wondering, we do read a lot and also listen to the radio - mainly Radio 4.

Regards, John.
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 09:15   #2
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

We do have one but I find myself watching it less, with all of the hundreds of channels available there's a lot of repeats and a lot of poor quality stuff seemingly just to fill up airtime.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 09:31   #3
JRL
Master Member

Haven't had one for a good 10 years. Complete waste of time in my opinion. Having said that I do have a server full of old movies and tv series I ripped from dvd years ago and watch them on on my PC. And there is Youtube. Loads of interesting stuff on there, from car shows like Mighty Car Mods through to technical stuff like how to build your own server using a Raspberry PI etc.

And I watch as and when I want to.
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 09:54   #4
scorcher

Smile

I'm guessing all you old boys have still got khazis in the back garden then?
scorcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scorcher For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 09:56   #5
I-S
Premier Member

I think you've titled this thread wrongly, because the convergence of devices means that a fair question to be asked is "what do you mean by television set?".

A number of responses so far that mention DVD and streaming (eg YouTube) sources as alternatives, yet isn't that "television"?

We have a 65" TV set on the wall in our living room, and we watch a bunch of stuff on it. Most of what we watch is streamed from Amazon, YouTube or sometimes from the on-demand apps of the broadcast networks.

Perhaps what you mean to ask is whether people view broadcast TV? In the past year the only broadcasts we have watched are the BTCC races on ITV4 and Top Gear on BBC.

I don't see that there's a difference between watching YouTube on my PC, tablet, phone or TV - I think it counts as television regardless. It has grown far beyond the simple "television set".
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 10:24   #6
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

I know my family had a television as early as 1937 as they and many of their neighbours watched the coronation on it - no doubt it had a tiny screen. We have two TVs and the usual selection of devices, but I'l never regret not watching more material/tv sitting in front of a screen !

We live in an age of mediocrity in all things - sadly.

Jon.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 10:27   #7
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Very valid post from I-S. My cousins son is at university and does not own a tv. He does however watch tv through his laptop and phone. Times are a changing.

I was sat next to someone at a wedding back in the 90's who did not own a tv, when you could only watch programmes via tv. It was an interesting novelty, an ice breaker. He and his wife were also big radio 4 people, The Times as well I remember. They were not a bundle of laughs mind I was relieved when the meal was finished and I could move, ha ha.

I think something that anti tv people forget is that you choose what to watch, when you want to watch it. There are some great programmes on tv, not everything is reality or soaps. I don't watch any of those.
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 11:34   #8
m0bzy
Master Member

I do have a large TV with all the toys and a couple of hundred channels,so every evening I sit down with a glass of wine to watch the tv,I wake around 1am drink the wine switch the tv off and go to bed.Wonderful invention.
m0bzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m0bzy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 11:50   #9
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

I don't have one. I never watched a lot when I did have one, and never organised myself to set the video recorder days in advance for the occasional thing worth the effort. Nowadays I refuse to pay the licence fee. I am disgusted by the tone of the letters I receive, threatening me with fines or jail if I don't comply. If I sent letters like that to people who are not my customers I'd be locked up. Equally I will not acquiesce to the Beebs social-political agenda. I will not be told what to think while they drive the destruction of Britain into some universal foreign colony. No.
George Orwell was right. He wrote eloquently about these devices just after the war, before they had been invented. He wrote his most widely-read work as a warning, shame its being used as an instruction manual.
The Following User Says Thank You to volvoid For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 11:52   #10
Jammin

We have two tv's and no tv license.