Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What to replace an XC90 with?

Views : 1925

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2019, 18:12   #21
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I had a XC60 D4 (VEA) for 2 years and did 55k miles in it.

A really good car, but don't forget if you get the AWD version it's the Volvo 5-banger D4 and the 6 speed TF 80 auto (not the VEA 4 cylinder and 8-speed).

That's not a significantly bad thing however...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2019, 16:49   #22
TWPC

Default Peugeot 5008 as an XC90 replacement

sthodgson,

I just read this thread and am in a similar but not identical situation. We've had our XC90 for nearly 9 years, live in London and will get whacked by the ULEZ charge in 2021.

As others have said the XC90 is such a good design that it is hard to replace: it doesn't look like an MPV yet does almost all they can in terms of lugging large numbers of people and their stuff around the place in great comfort at reasonable cost.

Having done a bit of research, one car I suggest you have a look at it the Peugeot 5008. The great thing about it is that it is an MPV that has been designed to look like an SUV. I am being superficial here but, like many others I am sure, the fact that most MPVs just look like white goods on wheels depresses me. The 5008 has been designed specifically to be FWD so it has no transmission tunnel and all the FWD benefits of locating all the bulky mechanical bits in the nose. It is as efficient as a normal MPV; has loads of space, a vast boot, three individual middle row seats and seven seats in total but doesn't look like a fridge. Since it was never designed to carry all the 4x4 equipment it is massively lighter than most SUVs: the smaller petrol engine versions weigh under 1500kg, with all the resulting benefits. The XC90 weighs about 2100kg. The biggest issue is it is quite new so there are no cheap used ones around.

For a cheaper solution, I have also looked at 5-6 years old Honda CR-Vs (£11k-£13k). They have no third row of seats but loads of room in the second row.

Back to our situation... Cash flow issues and a daughter who now wants to learn to drive mean that we are probably going to buy a small second car like a Hyundai i10 or Mazda 2 and use that for local trips. We'll keep the XC90 to use for less frequent longer journeys leaving London and just pay the ULEZ fine. If I win the lottery, however, I'm buying a new XC90 Mk 2 and a Morgan 3 wheeler...
TWPC is offline   Reply With Quote