Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Free 200mb data SIM

Views : 3884

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2019, 21:22   #21
Zebra
Chief of Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx2000 View Post
Just had a software update at the dealer and it now shows the Volvo Safety Connected icon in Sensus. This also requires mobile data - so this Sim will be handy for this too.
What car and MY do you have sphinx?

V40 D2 R-Design Nav Plus MY2017, 18" wheels, winter pack.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 22:31   #22
Sphinx2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
What car and MY do you have sphinx?
I should really uodate my sig.

Its a xc60 my2018.
Sphinx2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 09:04   #23
James77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOzS90 View Post
Happy with deselecting auto updates.

Mine are normally done when the car is in the drive - it connects to the house Wi-fi and away we go. How do you choose which method you want updates to be downloaded to the car by to ensure the 200mb is not wasted?

At the moment I do maps onto a USB stick and apps via house Wi-fi.
I was hoping to do this for updates, how did you connect to house WIFI?
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 10:09   #24
xsaab
Master Member

What physical size SIM does the car need, I can probably use the old iPad if a full size one is needed otherwise I have a spare iPhone for setting up a small size SIM.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 11:06   #25
WhatNext?

- It's a standard size SIM
- You don't need to top up to activate it.
- You DO need to visit the dedicated website to activate it.
- You can put the SIM in the car, activate WiFi hotspot for the car modem (ie this SIM). Connect to the generated hotspot with the phone and visit the 3 website with your phone needed to activate the SIM
- the website to visit to activate it is three.co.uk/freedata

Last edited by WhatNext?; May 13th, 2019 at 11:09. Reason: Updated
WhatNext? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhatNext? For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2019, 13:15   #26
niva441

I just started using the 200MB sim at the beginning of the month for RTTI, yesterday got a text message warning me that I'd used most of my data allowance. However the phone thinks I've only used 27MB, which seems about right. I'm assuming either the phone is wrong or they warn on allowance very early. Has anyone else had a warning on data usage and when did it trigger?

Thanks

Todd
niva441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 21:14   #27
dogdiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by niva441 View Post
I just started using the 200MB sim at the beginning of the month for RTTI, yesterday got a text message warning me that I'd used most of my data allowance. However the phone thinks I've only used 27MB, which seems about right. I'm assuming either the phone is wrong or they warn on allowance very early. Has anyone else had a warning on data usage and when did it trigger?

Thanks

Todd
Was it a text message from Three themselves, or a data limit warning via the phone?

The provider will be able to show exact usage for more accurately than the phone itself, so if its Three who have text to say near your limit then that is probably correct.
dogdiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 21:21   #28
WhatNext?

check your remaining allowance here
Old May 14th, 2019, 22:23   #29
Sphinx2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloke69 View Post
- It's a standard size SIM
- You don't need to top up to activate it.
- You DO need to visit the dedicated website to activate it.
- You can put the SIM in the car, activate WiFi hotspot for the car modem (ie this SIM). Connect to the generated hotspot with the phone and visit the 3 website with your phone needed to activate the SIM
- the website to visit to activate it is three.co.uk/freedata
Received my SIM today.

Here are my findings.

Curse - As I could get the stupid cover off in the passenger footwell for the sim - (XC60)

SIM finally went into the car ok.
Activated the car hotspot and connected my phone ok. (Although it shows no internet available).
Unable to browse to three.co.uk/freedata - keeps timing out.
Curse!

Only way to activate it was to :

1) Lots of cursing. Then put the sim into a phone. That means you have to press out the sim to make a nano type (as most new phones are these now).
2) Curse - as the phone you just put it into is network locked and cant accept different provider
3) Steal sons/daughter phone
4) Curse as the sim tray wont come out properly and jams.
5) Install 3G sim into phone - accept all the text message that get sent
6) Curse - as the phone is really slow to startup.
7) Finally open web page to three.co.uk/freedata and enter your email address.
8) Open - email and click the link - then curse as you have to go through all the registration process all over again!
9) Finally the sim is activated
10) Remove sim and put back into original sized sim which it came in - use some sticky tape otherwise it may fall out.
11) Return to car and be super careful that you dont drop the sim card holder behind the trim!
12) Install sim and test internet - all ok
13) Activate RTTI and Safety connect via Sensus.
14) Log onto laptop to setup 3G account - only to find out that it sends the password as a text to the car - which is now locked and its 10pm and you cant be arsed with it anymore.

Curse and goto bed!

Last edited by Sphinx2000; May 14th, 2019 at 22:25.
Sphinx2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 07:44   #30
niva441

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdiego View Post
Was it a text message from Three themselves, or a data limit warning via the phone?

The provider will be able to show exact usage for more accurately than the phone itself, so if its Three who have text to say near your limit then that is probably correct.
The text was from Three (3Alerts). The phone has seems to report well for the primary Sim, unfortunately as I'm travelling this week I haven't got the identity number to check what 3 think I'm using. So I'll have to check later.

Now it's got 2 sims the phone does seem to use a bit more power, even though I'm only using the extra data when travelling for RTTI.

Thanks
niva441 is offline   Reply With Quote