Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

04-06 XC90 and 13 Pin Towbar Electrics

Views : 457

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2019, 11:01   #1
Rastiman

Default 04-06 XC90 and 13 Pin Towbar Electrics

Hi everyone

Im looking to buy a D5 XC90 between 2004 and 2006, and will want to fit a towbar and 13 Pin electrics.

Can someone please confirm if its possible to buy a "plug and play" setup, and will it need to be programmed by a dealership to disable the parking sensors and rear fog light?

If it does need to be programmed, can it be done with Vida?

Thanks all.
Rastiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 11:11   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

The standard Volvo towbar wiring and trailer module is plug and play

the dealer-only software addiitons are for:

1. Disable rear fog lamp when towing (required by law in some countries, check yours)

And I think that's it.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 11:25   #3
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

I agree with Swiss

The trailer module will inhibit the reversing sensors automatically although I have found on mine that it sometimes doesn't happen immediately and also the little tell tale symbol in the dash likewise doesn't always illuminate immediately when indicating.

Both work fine after a short period though so it might just be the module recognising what it has attached to it that takes a moment or two.

I found/find this when testing for a good connection of the trailer electrics and operation of the lamps before setting off. It's OK once I start driving.

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harley Dave For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 12:35   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Dave View Post
I have found on mine that it sometimes doesn't happen immediately and also the little tell tale symbol in the dash likewise doesn't always illuminate immediately when indicating.

Both work fine after a short period though so it might just be the module recognising what it has attached to it that takes a moment or two.

I found/find this when testing for a good connection of the trailer electrics and operation of the lamps before setting off. It's OK once I start driving.
Exactly the same for me. Doesn't always detect the trailer is connected immediately.
Maybe if I had larger bulbs in the trailer it would work faster...

But my "trailer" is normally a bike rack
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 19:23   #5
Rastiman

Thanks everyone for the replies. Can you recommend a particular make for the electrics other than Volvo, or am I better off buying a Volvo kit?
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 19:56   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastiman View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. Can you recommend a particular make for the electrics other than Volvo, or am I better off buying a Volvo kit?
It is a Volvo specific kit.
Supplied by Volvo.
Made by someone else.

But a good price.
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 23:18   #7
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Again, I agree with Swiss - the Volvo supplied kit is genuine plug and play - no cutting and/or joining of wires.

Even comes with the required fuses if you want continuous supply for a fridge in the caravan and/or charging the leisure battery in the 'van etc

I found the price surprisingly acceptable compared with after-market kit.

Make sure you order the correct part for your age/model of vehicle - FRF will keep you right.

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harley Dave For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2019, 09:08   #8
Rastiman

Thank you for your much appreciated advice Swiss & Dave, I'll have a chat with my local dealer and get the part number etc. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
Old Apr 28th, 2019, 12:47   #9
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

I've self fitted a tow bar to my last 3 Volvo's which were S60, XC70 and my current XC90.

With regards to the electrics I have always bought Genuine Volvo from my local dealer.

I have always been given a decent discount after asking for it and you know that it will save a lot of time in the long run as well as keeping all of the car's original wiring loom intact.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2019, 12:24   #10
Gazzaa

Try Right Connections, I fitted their plug and play kit to my 2005 D5.....very easy to fit....supplied with full instructions (they may even make the Genuine OE kit). Never had a problem.

I cant remember how much it was though, worth giving them a call.

https://www.rightconnections.co.uk/

Cheers
Gazza