Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Coolant Change

Views : 4239

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 4th, 2019, 19:31   #1
Chunk11

Default XC90 Coolant Change

Hi All,

Looking at changing the coolant in my 2007 D5 XC90. As far as I am aware this hasn’t been changed so far in 12 years and I think a refresh would do no harm.
Just had a quick look under the car and it looks like the best drain point is the lower radiator hose on the passenger side? Looks possible without removing the front splash guard but to those that have done this before would it be easier to remove it to give yourself a little more space?
Plan is to go to Volvo on Tuesday and buy the correct amount of coolant. Is it best to top up with de-ironised or distilled water? Which ever is better I will also purchase this.
Then drain the system, flush with the garden hose at a steady flow, re-attach the lower radiator hose, re-fill the system using the correct mix and then top up as necessary. Having not changed the coolant on an XC90 before does this seem correct? Anything other steps to add?

Thanks in advance,

Chunk
Old May 4th, 2019, 20:02   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk11 View Post
Hi All,

Looking at changing the coolant in my 2007 D5 XC90. As far as I am aware this hasn’t been changed so far in 12 years and I think a refresh would do no harm.
Just had a quick look under the car and it looks like the best drain point is the lower radiator hose on the passenger side? Looks possible without removing the front splash guard but to those that have done this before would it be easier to remove it to give yourself a little more space?
Plan is to go to Volvo on Tuesday and buy the correct amount of coolant. Is it best to top up with de-ironised or distilled water? Which ever is better I will also purchase this.
Then drain the system, flush with the garden hose at a steady flow, re-attach the lower radiator hose, re-fill the system using the correct mix and then top up as necessary. Having not changed the coolant on an XC90 before does this seem correct? Anything other steps to add?

Thanks in advance,

Chunk
yes that sounds pretty well how to do it . However if your coolant is a clean bright blue/green it will be fine , Volvo coolant has no recommended change intervals and lasts for many years , My 1988 340 volvo still has it's original coolant for example .. If your coolant is misty or has a yellow or brown tint , then change it .. You will need a full 4 litres which works out just about 50 / 50 it is sold at the dealer in a 4 litre bottle , you won't get coolant of that quality anywhere else for the price .
Old May 4th, 2019, 20:09   #3
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
yes that sounds pretty well how to do it . However if your coolant is a clean bright blue/green it will be fine , Volvo coolant has no recommended change intervals and lasts for many years , My 1988 340 volvo still has it's original coolant for example .. If your coolant is misty or has a yellow or brown tint , then change it .. You will need a full 4 litres which works out just about 50 / 50 it is sold at the dealer in a 4 litre bottle , you won't get coolant of that quality anywhere else for the price .
I agree, I did mine recently, undid the jubilee clip on rad and let drain. It will go on the splash guard but just rinse later.

Mine was 7 years old with 90,000 on the clock and came out like new.

I did mine as I changed the pump and am not sure I would bother.

That said it is easy! And cheap!

As clan says only buy the Volvo stuff.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2019, 20:12   #4
Chunk11

Thanks Clan yes I have looked online and although I won’t know till Tuesday it looks like a 4 litre bottle of Volvo coolant should be around £23 then another £5 for 4 litres of distilled water.
My coolant is red and doesn’t look too bad but since I have changed all the other fluids I can’t just leave the coolant as it would annoy me knowing it’s the only thing left to change. :-)
Old May 4th, 2019, 20:18   #5
Chunk11

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
I agree, I did mine recently, undid the jubilee clip on rad and let drain. It will go on the splash guard but just rinse later.

Mine was 7 years old with 90,000 on the clock and came out like new.

I did mine as I changed the pump and am not sure I would bother.

That said it is easy! And cheap!

As clan says only buy the Volvo stuff.
Thanks mate is £23 around the right price bracket? Did you use distilled water or tap water?
Any other issues? Is it best to run the engine with the coolant cap off to let any air out and let it get warm?

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure I get it spot on.

Cheers
Old May 4th, 2019, 20:27   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks mate is £23 around the right price bracket? Did you use distilled water or tap water?
Any other issues? Is it best to run the engine with the coolant cap off to let any air out and let it get warm?

Cheers
Yes that's about the right price , I never have trouble with tap water , the coolant has corrosion inhibitors which work well . The red stuff would have a 2 year to 4 year change cycle anyway . The system is very good at self bleeding , that is what the small rubber tube does going into the coolant reservoir , just fill it to max or a little more , go for a run to get the gauge up to Normal . let it cool down overnight then top up to MAX in the morning ..
Old May 4th, 2019, 20:30   #7
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:

Cheers
If yours is red then that is likely to be the oats or old type stuff and certainly won’t be latest Volvo so I would change it in that case.

I would take off the splash guard (due to drain Qty) and remove the red coolant. I would then fill with tap water and start the engine warming it to temperature and then drain that. This action will be a very effective flush to get rid of the old stuff which will do it good.

I believe yours has an older coolant system than Clan mentions at 12.5l and accordingly I would add 6l of coolant then top with water if required.

I did not flush mine as the coolant looked good.

I have only ever used tap water in a hard water area and have had no issues.
Old May 4th, 2019, 20:32   #8
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Yes that's about the right price , I never have trouble with tap water , the coolant has corrosion inhibitors which work well . The red stuff would have a 2 year to 4 year change cycle anyway . The system is very good at self bleeding , that is what the small rubber tube does going into the coolant reservoir , just fill it to max or a little more , go for a run to get the gauge up to Normal . let it cool down overnight then top up to MAX in the morning ..
I found the self bleed very good as you mention.
Old May 4th, 2019, 21:00   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
If yours is red then that is likely to be the oats or old type stuff and certainly won’t be latest Volvo so I would change it in that case.

I would take off the splash guard (due to drain Qty) and remove the red coolant. I would then fill with tap water and start the engine warming it to temperature and then drain that. This action will be a very effective flush to get rid of the old stuff which will do it good.

I believe yours has an older coolant system than Clan mentions at 12.5l and accordingly I would add 6l of coolant then top with water if required.

I did not flush mine as the coolant looked good.

I have only ever used tap water in a hard water area and have had no issues.
+regarding the volume , you can never drain all of it out , it would be a good idea to use the drain **** as well down the back of the engine on the smaller water pipe on the driver's side just above the drive shaft , 13mm spanner ...
Old May 4th, 2019, 21:54   #10
gmonag
Premier Member

Check out CheshireD5's (SiRobb) video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMkRdCUAlks