Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Coolant leak when giving starting help/aid?

Views : 1442

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2020, 20:50   #1
Xariez

Default Coolant leak when giving starting help/aid?

Hey,

So as the title says. I own a V50 T5 -04, and today when I went downtown to give starting help/aid for a friend that had a dead battery, I noticed a pool of coolant under the engine, originating from the coolant hose just outside the radiator on the driver side. Went back home, angerly ate dinner, then went out to troubleshoot.

I let the engine get warm, monitored the (now water) levels, no leak. Turned on the fans and set them to LOW inside the car, nothing. Set them to HIGH - still nothing. Went out for a test drive and drove both calmly and more aggressively, took turns and drove straight - and guess what, still nothing!

Now were it not for the fact I gave starting aid, I would be 100% entirely lost - but that is giving me some kind of suspect. Could giving starting aid have released some kind of "overflow" valve and caused all of this? I know it wasn't just condense or similar since the levels in the coolant expansion tank had decreased.

Thanks in advance!
Xariez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 20:52   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Are you sure it was coolant and not water condensate from the AC?
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 21:12   #3
Xariez

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Are you sure it was coolant and not water condensate from the AC?
As per my last line of text, the level had dramatically decreased from the coolant reservoir. AC was also turned off. Otherwise I would have suspected the same!
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 01:22   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

I was asking in case you may have touched, tasted smelled the liquid in the puddle to confirm rather than just rely on the level being low in the tank.

The expansion tank allows for fluctuations in coolant level so the only time you can accurately see the level of the coolant is on a stone cold engine.
If it's at max when cold and continues that way, there's no leak.
Keeping the coolant strength correct will help tracing if there is a leak though as it will leave a distinct residue.
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 02:12   #5
Xariez

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
I was asking in case you may have touched, tasted smelled the liquid in the puddle to confirm rather than just rely on the level being low in the tank.

The expansion tank allows for fluctuations in coolant level so the only time you can accurately see the level of the coolant is on a stone cold engine.
If it's at max when cold and continues that way, there's no leak.
Keeping the coolant strength correct will help tracing if there is a leak though as it will leave a distinct residue.
I did touch and smell it, but it's difficult (for me, atleast) to tell. Especially since the coolant is right now quite diluted with water. Did seem to be around MIN yesterday though, and half-way between MIN and empty when I got back home.

That said, at it's worst, there was a clear pin-hole stream leaking out. I don't know a lot about AC's, but I don't think they should be producing THAT much condensation if it did come down to that.
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 08:12   #6
Welton
Premier Member

I have been warned about a weak coolant connection on the T5 but I haven't tried to find mine yet....

Basically there is a black plastic 'tee' piece below the air filter box and not easily visible, this plastic fitting can crack and leak coolant...which may then run down the hose and drip from the lowest point.

Be worth trying to check this first.

Also check the expansion bottle - these crack on the top surface, if you look closely there may be a 'crazed' pattern in the plastic where it's gone brittle, this problem normally causes air to 'fizz' from the top of the expansion bottle but it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that coolant could be lost from the same unit. If your's looks old/cracked then change it for a new Volvo one, they are really easy to DIY fit.

Oh and there is no way your jump-start help caused a coolant leak.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 20:07   #7
Xariez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
I have been warned about a weak coolant connection on the T5 but I haven't tried to find mine yet....

Basically there is a black plastic 'tee' piece below the air filter box and not easily visible, this plastic fitting can crack and leak coolant...which may then run down the hose and drip from the lowest point.

Also check the expansion bottle - these crack on the top surface, if you look closely there may be a 'crazed' pattern in the plastic where it's gone brittle, this problem normally causes air to 'fizz' from the top of the expansion bottle but it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that coolant could be lost from the same unit. If your's looks old/cracked then change it for a new Volvo one, they are really easy to DIY fit.

I know exactly which "tee"-piece you're talking about, and it did seem to be slightly cracked. I guess the main question right now though is not as much what caused it, but what made it fix itself.
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 00:30   #8
Xariez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post

Oh, and as for the expansion bottle, that one was replaced maybe 10kkm ago and is showing no signs of age as of yet.
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 04:00   #9
Bashy
Aged Member

Try replicating the exact same as you did when you did the "aid", but with AC on this time and see what happens, it really does sound like condensate, even more so that nothing happened after your tests, I think maybe you'd turn the AC off as you may have thought that that would have messed with the tests, just surmising is all but your tests prove that there are no leaks, that's one thing we know for sure. It can be disconcerting seeing the condensate spill forth...
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 09:34   #10
Markos01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xariez View Post
I know exactly which "tee"-piece you're talking about, and it did seem to be slightly cracked. I guess the main question right now though is not as much what caused it, but what made it fix itself.
Might only leak when the part is cold and the crack is more open, it could close with the heat of a warm engine perhaps?

Tags
coolant, coolant leak, leak, t5engine, volvo