Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine cut out & P0032 lambda sensor

Views : 1387

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 19:08   #1
JTG

Default Engine cut out & P0032 lambda sensor

Hi all, new to the forum and to Volvo ownership. Also my first LPG but I'm picking things up quickly. I really like the car but it has one very telling issue that I need to rectify immediately, as the car is only going to be used on dual carriageways/motorways.

The S80 bi fuel I've just bought has a fault whereby the engine cuts out on LPG, so far only when slowing or stopping. It has done this three times in the space of about 80 miles.

Now I know it is not uncommon for the bi fuel's to cut out, but mine otherwise runs perfectly fine (no misfiring). The only other issue the car appears to have is that when I lift off or feather the throttle between 50 and 60, the car can judder a fair amount. It can also take quite some time to restart it, but I assume this is down to there still being gas working it's way through from when it cut out (I will be checking spark plugs at the first opportunity).

When the car does cut out, it triggers the engine management light and throw up the code P0032 which which appears to be the O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1.

So my question really, is what are people's thoughts on the likelihood that replacing the O2 sensor will resolve the issue? I can also find very little information about replacing the O2 sensors (other than how important and difficult it is to obtain the correct one), am I right in thinking hat bank 1 sensor 1 is in front of the CAT and easy to replace?

I intend on cleaning both the MAF and the throttle body soon to rule those out as possible causes of the juddering.

The car has been well looked after and possesses a full service history and the LPG system was serviced in December (I don't know what this serviced consisted of).

Also on a side note, I assume it's not unusual to be able to smell gas to a small extent in the engine bay?

Thanks for any help
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 09:02   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

It will not be the lambda sensor

First thing to do is to give the stepper motor a good clean. Next step is to strip the gas solenoids and give the plungers on them a clean
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 09:48   #3
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
It will not be the lambda sensor

First thing to do is to give the stepper motor a good clean. Next step is to strip the gas solenoids and give the plungers on them a clean
Thanks for the response, that's what I had feared. I have no experience with the LPG system but it sounds like that's very much a DIY job.

The best information I can find about cleaning the stepper motor is in this thread: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...+stepper+motor however is anybody able to advise me on where the stepper motor is located? There is also advice saying to do it by disconnecting a pipe and pouring some injector cleaner into it but again, I have no idea which pipe this would be.

Thanks again for any help
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 12:24   #4
JTG

Ok, so.......

A piece of info I've got is:

"Get a bottle of STP fuel injector cleaner, disconnect the pipe from the dryside gas filter to the distributer. Pour about half the bottle of cleaner into the pipe and refit the connector. Run the car until it switches to gas, the engine will stall. Leave the car overnight, if you need to use it switch it to petrol. Start the car after a few hours (I usually left mine overnight) and let it switch to gas - the car will cough and may stall but will soon settle to a nice idle after the excess cleaner is cleared. Bob's your uncle!"

Is this accurate or do I actually need to take the stepper motor off? if this is correct then could somebody please point out which pipe this is?

I have managed to locate the stepper motor (picture attached for reference as images for these seem to so few and far between)

A couple more pictures in case the pipe I require access to is on one...... Is this the distributor?

Final picture, just curious about what this part is? Looks a little bodged...

I have some injector cleaner and desperately want to try to resolve this as soon as possible, just want to try cleaning it before I purchase a new stepper motor.

Thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7399.JPG (126.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7398.JPG (114.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7397.JPG (122.8 KB, 39 views)
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 12:52   #5
JTG

I want to say the first image is the stepper motor with the distributor underneath it, the second picture is the vapouriser and the third, a filter coming from the vapouriser (which looks old), is this pipe the one I need to take off and pour injector cleaner in?
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 20:33   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Top pick is the stepper and distributor unit
Second pic is the vapouriser
Third pic is the vapour filter

As far as I know STP do not make a LPG injector cleaner. Cleaners for petrol injectors can cause damage to the seals of LPG components
Never use brake or carb cleaner

The correct thing to use is IC12 injector cleaner
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 16:41   #7
JTG

Thanks, I've just bought some IC12.

I made an educated guess which pipe to go for yesterday and used the injector cleaner which does seem to have things running fairly well so far. I will do the same again with the IC12 when it arrives and hope that my issues are resolved without having to start getting new parts for it.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 17:16   #8
JTG

I'm still having issues with LPG. Today the car actually cut out while accelerating and would then stall each time I tried to switch back to LPG.
I've since started the car again and it's switched over to LPG again ok.

I do have one strange symptom which might help with diagnostics... When idling on LPG and I blip the throttle, the revs will stick and won't then drop any lower than 1500rpm. If I blip the throttle to 2500rpm or 3000rpm, the revs will very gradually decrease back down to 1500rpm. Idles fine on petrol at 800rpm and normally idles the same on LPG under normal driving. Has anybody experienced that before or have any idea what would be causing it?
Old Mar 10th, 2016, 15:52   #9
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Next thing will be to strip and clean the solenoid. Check the solenoid coil as that might need replacing
Old Mar 10th, 2016, 15:53   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Also check the vaporiser is not leaking gas from the vacuum port