Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

blower motor stopped working

Views : 496

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 27th, 2019, 19:02   #1
hodge911

Default blower motor stopped working

I,ve read a couple of the threads regarding the ac/heater blower motor packing in .
mines been working fine until this afternoon .
was working fine parked up for 10 mins got back into car started up and no blower . all the leds are working as they should changed the 30a fuse in slot 1 in the fuse box on the end of dash drivers side.
so I,ve stripped out the glove box removed the 4 wire multipin plug no signs of burning on the spade connectors in the plug and no signs of burning in the socket .
in the plug the red wire is live but none of the other 3 are .
so can anyone tell me what to check next
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190727_182830.jpg (21.4 KB, 16 views)
hodge911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 19:41   #2
gmonag
Premier Member

Pin B2 is the +ve to the Fan
Pin B1 -ve

When the fan is comanded ON by the Fan Controle Module, 12v should appear on the B2 and B1 should be at ground.
Try connecting 12v across them to test the motor.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 19:49   #3
hodge911

Default blower motor

update i,ve pulled the blower motor and unplugged the 2 wire connector from the motor to the resistor and connected a 12v feed to it and the motor spins freely and fast [as I would expect it to as there is no resistor to limit the speed]

so am I correct in thinking that it is still the resistor that's gone even though there,s no sign of burning . or is there a chance it could be a wiring fault as only the red wire is live in the 4 pin connector that plugs into the resistor ?

any help would be gratefully accepted as I,m meant to be going away in it on Monday afternoon
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 00:03   #4
gmonag
Premier Member

The "resistor" is actually the fan power unit (fan control module). Test its outputs to the fan connector.
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 08:45   #5
hodge911

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonag View Post
The "resistor" is actually the fan power unit (fan control module). Test its outputs to the fan connector.
Excuse my ignorance but how do I do that ?
Ive tried testing all 4 with a multi meter on ohms setting and put -ve lead on 1 of the terminals and then touching the other 3 one at a time but the reading on the meter doesn't change .
The meter is new and works ok ..
The thing is I'm not 100% sure im doing it right but I think I should of had some sort of change in the reading
Please correct me if I'm wrong
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 10:24   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

It will likely be PWM controlled, not linear. So resistance means nothing. View on a scope or measure voltage when connected to fan motor.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 11:37   #7
hodge911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
It will likely be PWM controlled, not linear. So resistance means nothing. View on a scope or measure voltage when connected to fan motor.
Thank you for taking time to reply but apologies I'm not sure what your meaning .
I've ordered one anyway if it fixes the fault great if it doesn't I've not lost much and get it looked at by an auto electrician
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 17:25   #8
hodge911

Default blower motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodge911 View Post
Thank you for taking time to reply but apologies I'm not sure what your meaning .
I've ordered one anyway if it fixes the fault great if it doesn't I've not lost much and get it looked at by an auto electrician
FINAL UPDATE..
NEW MODULE/RESISTOR ARRIVED TODAY FITTED AND REBUILT INTO CAR ALL WORKING AS SHOULD
it may just be me but I think the fan is running quite a bit faster through out the full range from 1st click to the final .
so thanks to the post containing instructions and pictures on how to replace it made things a LOT EASIER and the part only cost £22.80p inc post from the evil bay and it has a 2yr g/tee
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hodge911 For This Useful Post: