Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacement windscreens from Brookhouse

Views : 551

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2019, 12:59   #1
ExCee70
VOC Member

Default Replacement windscreens from Brookhouse

Morning All,

Does anyone have any experience of the replacement Amazon windscreens sold by Brookhouse?

Anyone have any idea who manufactures them and are they good quality, strong screens?

I know Pilkingtons now do classic car screens and was wondering if that could be another option to replacing mine.

Many thanks,

Mike.

1967 123GT running resto
2012 XC70 SE Lux D5 with Polestar
ExCee70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 15:22   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

Unless they have started up a new facility, Pilkingtons closed the Classic Glass unit at Queenborough, Isle of Sheppey, Kent, quite a few years ago. I think that coincided with Pilkington's purchase by a Japanese glass company.
Brookhouse screens should be good and accurate. They are probably the same ones supplied by all of Europes Volvo parts suppliers. Used to be able to get them from Volvo main dealers at a sensible price too but not had anybody confirm that recently. Possibly only ones with a tinted top strip?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 17:11   #3
arcturus
arcturus

Got mine from VP auto parts.
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 17:16   #4
Faust
Master Member

I fitted a heated rear screen supplied by Brookhouse 3 years ago...

No problems to report (should add that if you use your Amazon all year round as I do, a HRW is essential!).

The only thing to report is that Simon strongly advised opening the screen and checking it was undamaged before signing the courier delivery slip - he stated this was because if the screen was refused delivery due to damage he'd be able to offer a refund - if you left the box for a couple of weeks before opening and that the screen was knackered, then I'd not get a refund.

Seems fair to me, but I just wanted to mention it.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Faust For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 17:27   #5
ExCee70
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Unless they have started up a new facility, Pilkingtons closed the Classic Glass unit at Queenborough, Isle of Sheppey, Kent, quite a few years ago. I think that coincided with Pilkington's purchase by a Japanese glass company.
Brookhouse screens should be good and accurate. They are probably the same ones supplied by all of Europes Volvo parts suppliers. Used to be able to get them from Volvo main dealers at a sensible price too but not had anybody confirm that recently. Possibly only ones with a tinted top strip?

They have indeed started up again....

https://www.pilkington.com/en-gb/uk/...car-windscreen

I've also got my tame Volvo parts guy looking to see if he can source one from Volvo but both these avenues may be prohibitively expensive compared to Brookhouse.

Many thanks for the info.

1967 123GT running resto
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 17:31   #6
ExCee70
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post
I fitted a heated rear screen supplied by Brookhouse 3 years ago...

No problems to report (should add that if you use your Amazon all year round as I do, a HRW is essential!).

The only thing to report is that Simon strongly advised opening the screen and checking it was undamaged before signing the courier delivery slip - he stated this was because if the screen was refused delivery due to damage he'd be able to offer a refund - if you left the box for a couple of weeks before opening and that the screen was knackered, then I'd not get a refund.

Seems fair to me, but I just wanted to mention it.

Thanks Mike, I was also looking at an HRW. Nowt wrong wit the one that's in really so may just go with a decent aftermarket stick on job which is easily removed if a future owner doesn't like it.

Brookhouse now actually state clearly they cannot insure the windscreens for damage so it seems to be at your risk. In all honesty I'd probably take a trip down to collect. Even from Cheshire it would be cheaper than ending up with two knackered screens on the doorstep.

Cheers.

1967 123GT running resto
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 14:16   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

Yes. I have seen that Pilkington website but it hasn't changed for a long while. I do note a small reference to them having a stand at the 2018 November NEC show so maybe they really can supply. They do list screens for Amazons and others. Don't know if they have a UK factory making classic glass though.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post: