Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Should I Get the Dealer Fit (Front Park Assist)?

Views : 3145

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 21st, 2010, 22:44   #1
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Default Should I Get the Dealer Fit (Front Park Assist)?

Has anyone had the Volvo (Front Park Assist) dealer fit option installed on their XC90?

If yes:
  • What price did you pay?
  • How long did it take to install?
  • Did your car get put back together without any problems?
  • Any squeaks and rattles appear after the installation?
  • Would you recommend having it installed?

I have £500 of Volvo vouchers and am interested in getting this option fitted, HOWEVER, I’ve looked at the installation guide for fitting Front Park Assist and I must admit it scares me to death the amount of disassembly required of the car that is required to install it! I fear that the mechanic will never quite put my car back together as well as it was done at the factory due to it being such an invasive installation.

Any feedback would be very welcome.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 00:22   #2
AB-UK
Premier Member

I chose the front parking sensors for my new Exec.
I frequently found myself parking short in carparks with my previous XC90 - I know I know - I should learn to park it better without electronic assistance!
However, I have already found it to be useful after owning the new car for four weeks now.
Only bugbear is remembering to turn them off when entering or leaving my garage
Oh, and then remembering to turn them on again of course.
Can't remember exactly how much they cost to fit as it was part of an overall package.
Fully integrated installation so nothing to report on fit, rattle or squeak front.
I'd say go for it - and since you have vouchers, get them to fit the mud flaps too - they're next on my list since I didn't get the dealer to fit them before I picked up the car. Had them fitted to my previous XC90 and they served to prevent some mud from splashing up the side of the car - of course mud doesn't look too bad on the 4x4, but I guess they also protected the sides of the car from small stones too.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 09:09   #3
XCF
Master Member

You say you have to switch it on / off ? - is this the original Volvo front parking sensor (4 visible sensors in front bumper ) with sound coming out of the cars front speakers?

Reason I ask is I thought the Volvo dealer fit item was controlled by the cars canbus - only turning on when the speed was very low (say below 5mph) , and then automatically turning off when speed picks up.

The aftermarket kits ( with metallic strips behind the bumper) say you need a switch to turn them on / off and my immediate thought when considering them was I'd never remember to turn it on / off - just like you've said,

Can anyone else with Volvo front parking sensors in an XC90 confirm if there is / isn't a switch?
XCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 09:18   #4
yeoman
Master Member

Hi, Yes there is a switch,you can turn it off /on as you wish and the button is next to the electric folding windows button ( I think).I have the volvo front park assist. It is okay. It does annoying go off atimes when you dont not want it to , esp if in slow multi-lane traffic and a car slowly creeps by you.
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 11:24   #5
XCF
Master Member

That button is there with the standard rear park assist - do you need to actually press that to turn ON the front park assist when you come to park ? - or is it like the rears and on at reverse / low speeds automatically (and the button just lets you disable it should you wish to) ?
XCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 12:29   #6
AB-UK
Premier Member

NickNick,
The sensors are "on" by default, but the switch allows you to switch them off, presumably in circumstances I described.
The switch is next to my theft alarm switch.

Whilst on they will sound if you pull up close behind a vehicle in a queue, but you have to be pretty close for the to activate.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 18:01   #7
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Thanks all;

Just so that I'm clear, were there two methods of getting Front Parking Assist?

1. Factory fitted option (not order-able on MY2010 & 2011 models)
2. Dealer fitted accessory option (only way to get this option fit today)

My question is directed towards number 2 where the dealer fits it. Have any of you had the dealer fit the option on a MY2010/2011 XC90?

The attached install guide looks very invasive and I am very curious to know other peoples experiences of have a dealer do this fitting. I really want the option on my XC90, BUT, feel reluctant to trust Volvo to tear my car apart and put it back together...
Front Park Assist (MY2011) XC90 l.pdf
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 18:45   #8
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

Can i just say, the wifes friend has a 2010 zetec s fiesta with rear park sensors, which we thought came fitted new with the car. The truth is he fitted them himself soon after he bought the car. £15 on ebay, and they work a treat. It just wires into the reverse light.
Rossi-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 21:35   #9
volvocamper
Master Member

LRS, I picked up my MY2010 R-Design in Dec and amongst other things specced it with Volvo Front Park System which was fitted by the supplying dealer. I am EXTREMELY particular with my car and hv to say I cannot detect any rattles/damage caused by dealer during fitment of these sensors (and I looked carefully). I guess though it depends which technician at the dealership does the job and how competent he/she is as potential to do some damage or not put it back correctly is as you point out quite possible. The sensors do work very well however my only criticisms are that the 'bleep' which comes from the front speakers is a little on the loud side and when stopped or moving slowly they seem to be triggered by the noise of nearby motorcycles. Point was made that you can turn them off and I find this necessary when putting car in garage as side walls of garage will trigger sensors however you then hv to mind you dont get too close to the end wall. Was fitted as part of a package but think they are about £400 fitted.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 23:16   #10
AB-UK
Premier Member

Volvocamper's experience is the same as mine. I am very satisfied with the fit and operation of the front parking sensors.
The Following User Says Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post: