Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 - Advice please on best LPG System to Fit

Views : 2149

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2016, 13:47   #1
Avroflyer1

Default V70 - Advice please on best LPG System to Fit

Hi guys
I am looking at having an LPG conversion to a 2008 2.5l turbo V70. Can anyone advise on what would be the best system to fit?
Simple question but big step!
Cheers
John M
Avroflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 01:20   #2
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Easy. You already took the BIGGEST step, you just didn't see it when you did it. LPG kits add nothing to a car's value, see Autotrader and see for yourself. Thus...

Don't fit any.

Rant///
The best and sweetest system, liek anything, is the one you didn't pay for. Am I correct, you were intending to do thsi to save money? You'll find one already fitted to your car's equivelant. It'll cost you no more than your current car is worth. If you'd been thinking, that'd be the car you already have now. Work this way and you'll be up £1400-2000ish before you start. Thus it'll not take 18 months, come two years of driving around to break even on the conversion. You'll save money off the bat. Now.

So why carry the cost and the inherent risks and the hit for that break-even period, when some fool has been the idiot for you? That idiot put mindless 'good money after bad'. So, unless there's another reason for doing this, pray tell... ie the same reasons the 'fool' has now for selling his converted car, don't fit any. To spin it round, why do you want to fit a kit? You've alrady tacitly admitted it here, hence the first stage in this is to admit to yourself, [rather than the likes of us] you've paid your hard-earned for, and I'm sorry, the wrong car, for the wrong reasons. So, you're already wildly on the wrong path. In the worst of both worlds, not saving money and facing a dubious bill to do so.

//RANT.

On the otherhand perhaps I should shut-up. I must now retract the above. So... not to appear too harsh, let me herald my undying love for you, you see i need you more than you need me. I need people with your mindset. Where do you think i will get my cars from? When your car has lost its registration snob-value, you'll be bored, and unload a perfectly decent car in 2-4 years. It will sit with 12K pa + high-days and holidays mileage. There at its mileage/deprecaition sweet-spot. Only, unless I shut-up, it'll not have that lovely LPG conversion for sod all.

And that'd never do

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Mar 6th, 2016 at 03:20.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 09:38   #3
Avroflyer1

Default From the old Grumpy in the other corner...

Aye, well, I read your rant and not rant, read it again, went and had a cup of tea and came back and read it again.
Can't quite make it fit the facts so perhaps I should elaborate a bit.
Current car is a 2003 v40 Bifuel. Great car, runs on a sixpence, 170,000 miles of which I've done 120,000. Touch wood would like to see her over 200,000. However want to do more caravanning and she struggles a bit with the weight.
In with a chance to get the afore mentioned 2.5l V70 which isn't yet converted - still petrol - but I've heard and read that the big 5cyl low pressure turbo is strong and makes a good LPG conversion.
I love LPG and reckon the V70 would tow like a dream and wouldn't be that much heavier on gas than the V40.
Alles gut, alles klar?
Hope that helps. Loved the rant, by the way and love you too :-) !
Are you now as confused as I was?
Cheers. Looking forward to the next instalment!
John M
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 09:56   #4
girlracer

Clearly you will need a injection type LPG system.

With yours being a 2008 model it will need to be fitted with flashlube oiling system to protect the valves.

On T5's I have had I have had an OMVL system fitted and on more recent cars Europegas.

Whatever system you get make sure it can be serviced wherever you are likely to go. Some makes are limited to just a few garages
girlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 00:11   #5
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Ahhh. well now. Silly boy. Why didn't you say?! If you've nto bought the 'kin thing, then for chrissakes don't. If your heart desireth such a car, as I said, find one already done. Why fixate on any particaulr car and then its conversion? I'd read my missive a third time if I were you.

Provided you are prepared to delay flashing your wallet, you'll get the car you wanted with it already gassed-up, and for the same kind of price as non-gassed. I can assure you there is never any hurry to buy a used car, used cars are like sh*t and idiots, there's never a shortage of either. Sit tight and if the first is not right, another'll be along. That's how it is with cars. Because they're a vanity-purchase, there's always be more cars than schmucks to buy them.

In the meantime do you homework, so that when a likely candidate comes up, you have a clue. Then rather than spend your cash on conversion, if you really aren't sure what you're looking at, take classicswede or one of his ilk along to run over it for you. Your local LPG guy can then give it a service if you're not up to it. All for way less than total fitment.

LPG blokes generally know theri way round cars, they have to, so dropping him £50-100 will likley be worth it long-term. And if he knows he's got to make the thing run sweet, he'll not let you buy any pup.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Mar 7th, 2016 at 00:24.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 14:02   #6
htomi

Go with PRINS or STAG system,spare wheel tank and let it done by a certified installer/garage with warranty. But.. before you do any steps further, do the homework and ensure you not going to face with any fuel pressure related errors after conversion - switching between fuel types.
htomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 15:51   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

It will most likely need a fuel return or working emulator on that age.

Prins can be more prone to VSR than most other systems but the hardware of the system is good (vapouriser and injectors)
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 14:28   #8
Sad ac

I have a "Stag" and a BRC with flashlube, would go BRC again.
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 09:09   #9
Avroflyer1

Well, Mr CNGBiFuel, Your dulcit tones have finally registered - buy one already done. Sound advice, if one comes along, although I would like a few years at least out of it and any I've seen have been rare and well into six-figure mileage :-(
I will observe the market more closely....

Mr Classic - what's "VSR"? LPG I like but Acronyms I hate!

Htomi - are the fuel pressure related errors to which you refer, peculiar to the type of system, or the V70 model type, or the standard of the installation or...? Please elaborate!

Many questions I know but I am trying to do my momework!

Thanks to all. All advice is welcome!!
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 09:19   #10
Avroflyer1

Ah - found it. VSR=Valve Seat Regression. Big no-no for VW air cooled conversions for aero use...
Carry on doing the homework, Avroflyer...