Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 56 plate d5 Ticking when hot.

Views : 947

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 26th, 2019, 13:14   #11
Danjwilko

Il give the 2 stroke oil a go if it helps keep the fuel system clean and lubed I'm all for it, the liqui moly will have to wait as I've only just done a full service on the car, used the Castrol 0w30 going with Volvo's recommendation. However I've just seen the handbook chart and going off the UK temperature range of -15-+30 odd and being older 126k it has now done would I be better switching to a 5w30 or 5w40 oil, the conflicting info over the threads is highly confusing. More confused wether I did right by the engine and/or the dpf (hate the dpf with a passion. However no problems with it yet touch wood on this car.
Danjwilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 14:35   #12
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjwilko View Post
the liqui moly will have to wait as I've only just done a full service on the car
Both Liqui Moly Ceratec and the Liqui Moly Oil Additive just pour in and self mix with your existing oil so you don't need to wait if you want to use it although as with every Euro 4, you need to be careful with the overall oil level so may need to suck some out of the dipstick first to avoid overfilling.

On a side note, I take it you didn't fill your oil to max on the dipstick when doing the last oil change.....

Quote:
used the Castrol 0w30 going with Volvo's recommendation. However I've just seen the handbook chart and going off the UK temperature range of -15-+30 odd and being older 126k it has now done would I be better switching to a 5w30 or 5w40 oil, the conflicting info over the threads is highly confusing.
There's nothing to be confused about.
If your owner's manual made by the manufacturer of your engine says that a 5 30 or 5 40 is acceptable then it's acceptable.
You must also match the required spec though so on a Euro 3 D5, the alternative choice is simple..... Shell Helix Ultra 5 40 but that's B4 spec and not suitable for a Euro 4.

With a Euro 4, your biggest issue with a 5 40 is finding a high quality synthetic oil which will also match the B5 spec requirements at a sensible price.
5 30 B5 is pretty easy to come by.
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 15:28   #13
Danjwilko

Ahh i seee i thought you was referring to the liqui moly flush to clear the tappets out incase theyre blocked etc.

il bear that in mind for the next change, i do it each year regardless of milleage as a precautionary measure i dont believe in the time scales between services to many modern cars having issues relating to infrequent oil changes. I meant by conflicting info some mention only using the volvo spec of 0w30 a5/b5 where others have said they have gone on to use the 5w-30 on higher milleage d5s.

i think i have some mobil 1 5w30 low ash oil for cars with dpfs not sure if that meets spec il have to check had it as a top up on another car.

Regarding the oil level i followed the vida whichi was 3 marks from the top iirc.

Last edited by Danjwilko; Jul 26th, 2019 at 15:57.
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 17:28   #14
peckys

Did you find the cure? Mine volvo has very similar ticking sound only when engine is hot.
peckys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 18:07   #15
Danjwilko

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckys View Post
Did you find the cure? Mine volvo has very similar ticking sound only when engine is hot.
Hi pecky I've purchased all the parts to do it, however I've not had chance to fit them yet. After listening to another d5 same problem all were replaced and now fine so I'm assuming being optimistic here it should cure the issue. Il post as soon as I get them done however at this rate it will probably be toward the end of the year.
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 19:42   #16
peckys

Quote:
Hi pecky I've purchased all the parts to do it, however I've not had chance to fit them yet. After listening to another d5 same problem all were replaced and now fine so I'm assuming being optimistic here it should cure the issue. Il post as soon as I get them done however at this rate it will probably be toward the end of the year.
Okey, let me know.

Is it possible that it’s bad injector noise?
peckys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 20:03   #17
Danjwilko

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckys View Post
Okey, let me know.

Is it possible that it’s bad injector noise?
I'm honestly not 100% sure on that as the last car I had injector issues on it did it from cold start up replaced the faulty injector and no noise. Can't remember which car had the hydraulic tappets but a failed tappet also did the same thing from cold, noise constantly, where as the worn out mechanical tappets that needed readjustment were more noisy when hot.

I've ran the injector tests via Vida and all was ok well within parameters, the 2 stroke oil over 2 tanks didn't do anything noise wise, It's literally when cold doing short journey's stays quiet.
As soon as heats up starts making the racket. The only other option I've not explored was a post mentioning possible oil feed issue when hot.

If I find any possible cheaper fixes before undertaking the whole lifter replacement Il post my findings but so far can't find anything else plausible.
Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 22:11   #18
Danjwilko

I thought I'd add an update on this, I've done 2 oil changes over the last year, one when I first got the xc and I followed the 0w30 A5/B5 recomendation on both, added the ceratec on the 2nd, I can say on start up the engine sounds smoother and is definitely quieter, however as soon as it starts to get up to temperature the tapping is all you hear so it will be in the garage for the lifters to be done as soon as I get a chance. Along with sorting out the annoying drone/grinding sound hopefully have it purring as a d5 should soon enough.