Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 D5 adding 2 Stroke Oil to Fuel

Views : 2272

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 27th, 2019, 12:07   #11
Chunk11

Thanks Zebster that just confuses me even more as it obviously says that it makes no difference and that the zinc can ruin your injectors!

Tempted to just give it a go...
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 12:27   #12
mopedmick

Lightbulb

May as well try a bit of snake oil or a sprinkle of fairy dust whilst you are at it, diesels are designed to run on, oh let me think, DIESEL, start adding other things to modern common rail diesel at your peril .........
mopedmick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mopedmick For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 12:40   #13
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopedmick View Post
May as well try a bit of snake oil or a sprinkle of fairy dust whilst you are at it, diesels are designed to run on, oh let me think, DIESEL, start adding other things to modern common rail diesel at your peril .........
That's pretty much what I thought a few years back while reading similar glowing testimonials on a Honda forum when I previously owned a high mileage 2005 diesel Accord. However I nevertheless began adding 2T at the recommended 1:200 ratio for an extended trial (until I'd completely used the whole 1L bottle of 2T)... I have to say that I personally noticed no benefit whatsoever in economy, smoothness nor general engine noise while adding 2T. Eventually someone there added that link which I've reposted in this thread, strongly suggesting that in a controlled trial there was no observable benefit and that injector damage from zinc build-up was a likely outcome.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 12:41   #14
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk11 View Post
it obviously says that it makes no difference and that the zinc can ruin your injectors!
That report extrapolates a theory but doesn't follow it through with practical tests over tens of thousands of miles.

I've put at least half a million miles onto injectors with 2 stroke in the diesel and I have diagnostics to monitor the performance of my fuel system which shows no negative effects.
That's where my opinion comes from and many others have done similar so when exactly are our injectors going to be ruined?
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 13:02   #15
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
That report extrapolates a theory but doesn't follow it through with practical tests over tens of thousands of miles.

I've put at least half a million miles onto injectors with 2 stroke in the diesel and I have diagnostics to monitor the performance of my fuel system which shows no negative effects.

That's where my opinion comes from and many others have done similar so when exactly are our injectors going to be ruined?
From the report conclusions:
''Engine test results show that a 200:1 blend of 2-stroke oil in diesel results in a 2% loss of engine power in a 16 hour test due to injector fouling, a risk that would apply to any common rail diesel engine, but could also worsen fouling in older engines''...
Having come to that experimental conclusion (NOT by extrapolation) they obviously didn't see the need to continue the practical test to replicate tens of thousands of miles of driving.

As on the Honda forum, opinion will obviously be divided on this issue. Personally I see the benefits of adding of 2T to diesel fuel as akin to homeopathy; ineffective but mostly harmless (unless you have a DPF).
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 13:17   #16
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
From the report conclusions:
''Engine test results show that a 200:1 blend of 2-stroke oil in diesel results in a 2% loss of engine power in a 16 hour test due to injector fouling, a risk that would apply to any common rail diesel engine, but could also worsen fouling in older engines''...
Having come to that experimental conclusion (NOT by extrapolation) they obviously didn't see the need to continue the practical test to replicate tens of thousands of miles of driving.

As on the Honda forum, opinion will obviously be divided on this issue. Personally I see the benefits of adding of 2T to diesel fuel as akin to homeopathy; ineffective but mostly harmless (unless you have a DPF).
If the tests are reliable and such a noticeable deterioration happens after just 16 hours, it would be reasonable to extrapolate further that my injectors after 17 years should be some kind of clogged mess and my engine performance would be down.
How come my injectors are fine after 17 years?

Are you saying that a 16 hour test with extrapolation is more credible than 17 years of continued usage?
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 14:07   #17
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
If the tests are reliable and such a noticeable deterioration happens after just 16 hours, it would be reasonable to extrapolate further that my injectors after 17 years should be some kind of clogged mess and my engine performance would be down.

Are you saying that a 16 hour test with extrapolation is more credible than 17 years of continued usage?
Show me your peer-reviewed paper and I'll try to give you an honest answer! Seriously, it's hard to give judgement on unsupported anecdotes without causing offence but I'd perhaps speculate that maybe the zinc build-up will 'plateau out' rather than build up linearly with respect to time? Perhaps once it's built-up to a certain thickness the outer layer burns off? I honestly do not know and I'm not going to get into an argument; I've given supplied the thread with a link to some engineering/scientific findings and maybe those who wish to support the use of 2T should do likewise?
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 14:14   #18
mopedmick

Quote:

This may be perfectly ok in a D5 of this vintage as this is first generation common rail technology, diesel fuel systems have changed a huge amount since & I would not take the risk on a modern generation vehicle .....

Last edited by mopedmick; Jul 27th, 2019 at 16:02. Reason: Spelling
mopedmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 15:11   #19
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Show me your peer-reviewed paper and I'll try to give you an honest answer!
My fuel pressure readings are as new, it fast passes emissions every year and has the same power output as new so there is no deterioration.
This should not be possible if the injector fouling hypothesis is correct so peer reviewed or not, the results of that 16 hour experiment is not borne out by my real world data taken over several years.

There's no argument being had and there's certainly no offence taken as I decide what to do based on my long term experience rather than lab experiments by other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopedmick View Post
This may be perfectly ok in a D5 of this vintage as this is first generation common rail technology, diesel fuel systems have changed a huge amount since & I would not take the risk on a modern geneation vehicle
Can you explain how diesel engines have changed and why 2 stroke in diesel is now a risk too far?
What will happen, why will it happen, how will it happen, how soon will it happen?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 09:40   #20
DJT

Based on the posted study, I don't think I'll be doing this.