Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Dashboard temperamental

Views : 660

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 27th, 2019, 21:39   #1
TomW

Default XC90 Dashboard temperamental

Does anyone know if I can take out the dash from my about to be scrapped 2002 V70 standard petrol engine and put it in my 2003 T6. In my T6 the whole dashboard has been going down with nothing displayed. Indicators and windows are also down. It occasionally springs back to life. I've looked through the forum and this problem occurs mostly on the older cars and in the summer heat when the electrics behind the dash expand and contract.
If the dash is identical and interchangeable I could do it tomorrow instead of sending it off for repair. By installing the V70 dashboard is this going to upset any electrics in the T6.
My old V70 has logged 30k more miles than my T6 so if swapping it is successful will the higher mileage from my V70 then be displayed in the T6?
Sorry not expressing myself very well but hope not too confusing.
The clean shot is the T6 and the other from the V70.
Thanks
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3549E32D-F084-46D9-8253-4B27E676FD7D.jpg (63.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg F13489C9-17AD-4485-A8BB-6955CBCCF8BB.jpg (64.1 KB, 17 views)
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 02:27   #2
oragex
Premier Member

Not sure if the connectors are the same because that is the facelift model. It may or may not work but I can't answer if you will get or not an SRS message, so be ready to find the Vida software to clear the code if it happens. Have the battery disconnected while swapping it. Besides an SRS message and light you have nothing to loose
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 08:38   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Start by comparing connectors in Vida
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 09:58   #4
TomW

Many thanks for that. I'm going to take both out today. What's Vida and SRS message?
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 11:26   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
Many thanks for that. I'm going to take both out today. What's Vida and SRS message?
VIDA is the first and last diagnostic tool you will ever need for your car. It contains full parts lists, repair instructions, technical descriptions, functional descriptions, and diagnostics of everything I;the car.

Wiring diagram is part of Vida but can also be found online as pdfs. Google is your friend.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 11:28   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

SRS is an industry Standard abbreviation and you will likely find it in your owners manual, right at the start of the manual.

Clue: the first S stands for Safety
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 13:03   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
SRS is an industry Standard abbreviation and you will likely find it in your owners manual, right at the start of the manual.

It should be and always has been Supplementary Restraint System unless some 20 year old has thought up a new meaning in the latest handbooks !
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 17:20   #8
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post

I screwed up
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 18:25   #9
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post

Several modules on these cars are connected through a 'communication network'. The SRS system is connected too on this network, same of the dashboard (DIM) unit (the audio unit too). Whenever one of these modules is disconnected with the car battery still connected, the computer will display a permanent SRS-AIRBAG SERVICE URGENT message on the dashboard display, along with an yellow triangle light. These will stay on while driving, and can only be erased with the Vida software or with some high end scanner. This light does not affect the SRS system functioning, but it's annoying to see while driving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (131.6 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by oragex; Jul 28th, 2019 at 18:28.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 19:53   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
Several modules on these cars are connected through a 'communication network'. The SRS system is connected too on this network, same of the dashboard (DIM) unit (the audio unit too). Whenever one of these modules is disconnected with the car battery still connected, the computer will display a permanent SRS-AIRBAG SERVICE URGENT message on the dashboard display, along with an yellow triangle light. These will stay on while driving, and can only be erased with the Vida software or with some high end scanner. This light does not affect the SRS system functioning, but it's annoying to see while driving.
It should do because the SRS has a fault therefore can't be relied upon in a crash . ( in this case a fault in the warning light circuit )