Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I must admit, I'm a bit bored of my T5.

Views : 3762

Replies : 69

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 13th, 2019, 10:57   #1
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Default I must admit, I'm a bit bored of my T5.

Appreciate this isn't a technical topic but just wondered whether anyone else has felt like this about their S40?

I've owned it a year, sorted out the headlights, got the engine to 'stage 0', fitted a thick anti-roll bar on the back, but it just can't seem to really bond with the car.. I don't know what it is.

Just feels a bit soul-less... Almost like it's too reliable and too easy to drive.

When I compare it to the slower S60 that I had previous, that car had so many "design flaws" that contributed to it's character and gave the car some real character, and it also looked VERY distinctive from every angle... but I find my S40 to be just a little bit too bland to look at, even with the R-design kit. I can't find any flaws with it's design in terms of day to day usage... I guess that's a good thing but still...

I feel like the only reason I'm keeping hold of my S40, is because its reliable.

Quite torn here on whether to move on...

Last edited by T5R92011; Aug 13th, 2019 at 11:03.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 11:22   #2
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
Appreciate this isn't a technical topic but just wondered whether anyone else has felt like this about their S40?

I've owned it a year, sorted out the headlights, got the engine to 'stage 0', fitted a thick anti-roll bar on the back, but it just can't seem to really bond with the car.. I don't know what it is.

Just feels a bit soul-less... Almost like it's too reliable and too easy to drive.
You can have mine for a bit if you want? Plenty that needs sorting on that

They are a bit bland to look at, the R-Design is nice but the rear IMO, looked better on the pre-facelift with the circular reverse lights.

If you're bored of driving it, remap it, they're pretty flat in standard form but remapped are meant to be much better.

I personally find them boring due to the turbo/engine setup. The high pressure turbos on the S40 T4 and the older T5's were so much more fun, they have a proper surge of power, shove you in your seat - Great grin factor, these T5's don't do that

Personally in your shoes, I'd remap it and see how you feel about it after that.

You could also replace the stupid exhaust Volvo put on it to get a bit more grin from the engine. It's a superb sounding unit ruined by Volvo's system. You can get subtle exhausts that sound great when on the loud pedal but don't drone or sound too different at idle.

What would you replace it with?
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 11:29   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post

When I compare it to the slower S60 that I had previous, that car had so many "design flaws" that contributed to it's character and gave the car some real character, and it also looked VERY distinctive from every angle... but I find my S40 to be just a little bit too bland to look at, even with the R-design kit. I can't find any flaws with it's design in terms of day to day usage... I guess that's a good thing but still...

I feel like the only reason I'm keeping hold of my S40, is because its reliable.

Quite torn here on whether to move on...
I would get an 850 T5 for as little as £500 raw power like it should be :-)
or get a map tune for the S40 to make it what it should be as in the big volvos , a High Pressure turbo ..
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 11:33   #4
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I would get an 850 T5 for as little as £500 raw power like it should be :-)
or get a map tune for the S40 to make it what it should be as in the big volvos , a High Pressure turbo ..
Have toyed with getting one myself. Sadly they're all mostly rust buckets now and the ones that aren't are getting very pricey.
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 11:54   #5
Markos01

Interesting post OP.

I have the C30 T5, which looks-wise I prefer – I love the back end of it – but the size of the C30 isn't for everyone.

I think on these the gear change is a bit too 'modern', and the steering lacks some feel compared to better machinery, they're almost too easy to drive in some ways. Quirks and design flaws can sometimes add character as you say...

I think the two suggestions here are the right ones if you'd like to keep it and bond with it more: a remap and an exhaust. Mine's not remapped but I've got a custom exhaust (£500) as I think the sound the car makes is a big thing for me... Also wheels and suspension can transform a car's appearance, could be another thought?

Untitled

Video of the exhaust:
Untitled

Last edited by Markos01; Aug 13th, 2019 at 12:04. Reason: Added video
Markos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 12:18   #6
domhart10
Volvo S40

The S40 is meant to be exactly as you just described it, its understated and just to dish out the miles easily. Handling package is soft, even with just a rear anti roll bar that wont really do that much, and im guessing you are still on oem shocks and coils?

Really depends what you are after, I felt exactly the same as you after a year with my S40 ... never thought it was boring but I knew the car had way more to give. It really depends what you want from it and how far you want to go.

Just getting a standard map will make a huge difference to the car, then onto things like coilovers or lowering coils for handling etc the upgrades are endless.

Mine was pretty much the identical to yours but defenitly not any more as after the remap I wet down the turbo upgrade route to a K16 hybrid .... defenitly wont be boring. But even before the current turbo upgrade the coilovers made it a real weapon on the track mated to that extra power and exhaust for that nice T5 sound.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 12:19   #7
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos01 View Post
Video of the exhaust:
Untitled
Yep, that's the kinda sound they should all have had when coming out the factory

Love your C30, they're definitely marmite cars though, I remember on release they got very mixed reviews in the looks department.
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 12:24   #8
Markos01

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
Yep, that's the kinda sound they should all have had when coming out the factory

Love your C30, they're definitely marmite cars though, I remember on release they got very mixed reviews in the looks department.
Thanks FM

I think I have a thing for slightly quirky looking cars!
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 12:31   #9
Markos01

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
... and exhaust for that nice T5 sound.
About that T5 sound: I only went for a Volvo because of the T5. It's smooth and powerful and with a better soundtrack than almost all 4 cylinder cars. Cold start-up with the OEM exhaust was really nice, but 30 seconds later it was all a bit too quiet for me...
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 12:40   #10
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos01 View Post
About that T5 sound: I only went for a Volvo because of the T5. It's smooth and powerful and with a better soundtrack than almost all 4 cylinder cars. Cold start-up with the OEM exhaust was really nice, but 30 seconds later it was all a bit too quiet for me...
haha yes I just had a complete straight through system on the car which is incredily loud, absolutly tonnes of pops and some pretty big bangs. Never heard anything like it before at all, sadly removed it now and fabricated a new one which you can see in my build threat to stay within the sound db levels for UK tracks.

System was custom made by Flux, incredible work.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote