Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake light bulb holder woes

Views : 1269

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 25th, 2019, 00:10   #1
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Default Brake light bulb holder woes

You'd think it'd be real simple.....and maybe it is.

My 2007 V70 had a right brake light which had a melted holder. It was white-ish plastic.

I replaced it with a black one from an earlier V70. At one point I actually got it to "1/4 turn" into place. When they go in easily they really do just pop in.

The bulb (known good , new bulb) doesn't light.

How does one go about this?
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 07:53   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Multimeter and logic
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 08:23   #3
petey
Master Member

A good bulb is one that you can see light up. Each and every other bulb is duff till you prove otherwise. Many is the hour that I’ve chased any number of cables trying to prove a new bulb was good....

Jam a hammer between the seat and the brake pedal and get into the cluster looking for the feed. With the ignition off, the only live wire should be the brake light, helpful if you haven’t got a wiring diagram, but be aware that jamming probes into things can blow fuses.

If the holder melted, it might have bent a connector coming out.
So, check for a feed at the multi plug, then at the surface connector and then into the bulb holder. I suspect it’ll quickly become obvious, they usually do.
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 14:43   #4
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

I copy what you're saying. I have the multimeter out now.

Does the multi plug simply unplug? I know, just get on with it.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 17:03   #5
petey
Master Member

Soz, can’t help there I’m afraid, I’ve been ‘lucky’ to only have to change the upper ELB207 tail light bulbs and they hurt me enough.
You should start with the sink and trace your way back to the source, but I would consider looking for something odd visually first, but don’t waste too much time on trying to see it, the multimeter is absolute in these cases.
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 08:44   #6
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Brake light relays in the REM are also a known source of trouble when brake lights stop working. Depending on model year and whether they/it has been replaced before, your brake light relay may either be two single relays or a double relay in one package.

Melting suggest poor contacts rather than over current which would cause fuses to blow, saying that, fuses can fail just through age, so another place to look in the REM.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 13:17   #7
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey View Post
Soz, can’t help there I’m afraid, I’ve been ‘lucky’ to only have to change the upper ELB207 tail light bulbs and they hurt me enough.
You should start with the sink and trace your way back to the source, but I would consider looking for something odd visually first, but don’t waste too much time on trying to see it, the multimeter is absolute in these cases.
Check the holder to make sure that the middle sprung connection is actually in contact with the bulb by levering it up a little, check also the bulb you have got is firm in the holder - many bulb caps are under-size and won't make a good connection - Georgeandkira often recommends using a dielectric grease make sure of a bulb is connected.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 16:57   #8
BlueRubber
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
Georgeandkira often recommends using a dielectric grease make sure of a bulb is connected.
Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't dielectric grease prevent electrical contact as it is not an electrically conductive material?
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 18:42   #9
Longhouse21
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRubber View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't dielectric grease prevent electrical contact as it is not an electrically conductive material?
Interesting article here regarding the use of non-conducting and conducting greases:
https://www.w8ji.com/dielectric_grea...ive_grease.htm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Longhouse21 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 13:07   #10
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRubber View Post
Yes, dielectric grease is non conductive, but I assume it prevents vibration thereby allowing better contact.

I have not used dielectric grease, but have used a smear of conductive copper grease on the bulb's tubular metal part side connection of a lamp to improve the connection, much as you would with battery terminals.........there are also recommendations about using a strip of metal foil to take up any slack in a holder; personally I would not use it unless in dire emergency as you do need to make sure foil cannot slip and come into contact with both connections at once.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Aug 30th, 2019 at 13:57. Reason: Use of english
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post: