Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Test drive question

Views : 1042

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2020, 11:46   #1
GDPR
USER DELETED FOLLOWING GDPR REQUEST

Hi everybody, new member here - I have read some posts that relate to this subject but would like anybody with experience to advise me.

I am in the process of purchasing a 2010 V70 2.4d - 80k miles, one owner, service history checks out ok. Well cared for car.

On a test drive yesterday, roughly one hour, I drove around 25 miles on rural A and B roads - not going above around 60 mph obviously. The car pulls well, the auto box shifts as expected. My only concern - and this may be because I'm not used to Volvos generally - is that the engine seemed very hot when I returned to the dealership.

The car was running for probably 10 minutes before I took it out, and probably 5 minutes after I returned and parked up. The ambient temp yesterday was around 16c so not hot by any means.

When I lifted the bonnet i felt what I considered real heat - and when the engine was turned off I removed the oil filler cap and a wisp of [smoke?] issued forth for a second.

I started the car up again and the fans came on for about 5 seconds then switched off.

I'm used to diesels running cool, having driven BMW and more recently Jag 2 litre units. No temp warnings came on at any time, and nothing else untoward occurred.

Is this something I should be concerned about, or is it simply the way this engine runs? It is due a service so maybe this will assist.

Many thanks for your help.

Last edited by GDPR; Jul 9th, 2020 at 12:12.
GDPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 13:19   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo1967 View Post
Hi everybody, new member here - I have read some posts that relate to this subject but would like anybody with experience to advise me.

I am in the process of purchasing a 2010 V70 2.4d - 80k miles, one owner, service history checks out ok. Well cared for car.

On a test drive yesterday, roughly one hour, I drove around 25 miles on rural A and B roads - not going above around 60 mph obviously. The car pulls well, the auto box shifts as expected. My only concern - and this may be because I'm not used to Volvos generally - is that the engine seemed very hot when I returned to the dealership.

The car was running for probably 10 minutes before I took it out, and probably 5 minutes after I returned and parked up. The ambient temp yesterday was around 16c so not hot by any means.

When I lifted the bonnet i felt what I considered real heat - and when the engine was turned off I removed the oil filler cap and a wisp of [smoke?] issued forth for a second.

I started the car up again and the fans came on for about 5 seconds then switched off.

I'm used to diesels running cool, having driven BMW and more recently Jag 2 litre units. No temp warnings came on at any time, and nothing else untoward occurred.

Is this something I should be concerned about, or is it simply the way this engine runs? It is due a service so maybe this will assist.

Many thanks for your help.
There is a LOT of hot exhaust manifold and turbocharger and catalytic converter and particle filter down behind the engine , possibly 2 turbochargers , heat rises ... If it has just done a regeneration that hot air rising will be at 600C ... Diesels should run at the same temperature as petrol engines for best economy . A few wisps of crankcase gasses is normal , but it should not be under pressure when you take the cap off , a bit of vacuum is preferable ..
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 13:49   #3
GDPR

Many thanks. And yes there appeared to be no pressure when the cap was taken off.
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 11:03   #4
AlexV70Drive1

They all get pretty hot under the bonnet even my 1.6d feels very hot under the bonnet but it’s not an issue if the car is running fine and has enough coolant/oil in it. A lot of it is due to the turbo as that thing zings hot as well as the cat. Take it for a longer test or leave it idling for 20/30 mins to be sure it’s not going to overheat but I’m pretty sure it is normal and just fine. If they won’t allow you leave it idle then maybe they are trying to hide something. Also see if it’s had its timing belt and water pump changed as that will be due if not already done and could be the water pump starting to fail, probably not an issue but it’s always good to know if it’s been done or not. From what you’ve said it does sound ok but it’s always good to check before you do a deal just for peace of mind. I nearly bought a vectra for my dad a few years back after a good test drive it was fine but we left it idling while I filled out the V5 and the water pipe starting ****ing coolant out all over the floor... not what you want to see when you’re about to buy a car so it was left there no deal done that day!

I do think yours will be fine it’s not a vectra after all
Enjoy your new Volvo they are brilliant cars
AlexV70Drive1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2020, 19:31   #5
GDPR

Thanks for the responses. I now have the car and took it out today. What I have noticed is that all seems well - however the aircon, when switched on, causes the engine cooling fan to run at full speed. I originally thought it was the aircon compressor making the noise but I am sure it's the main engine cooling fan. Pretty much immediately I switch the aircon to 'off', the fan will stop. Switch it back on and the engine cooling fan will be on intermittently but regularly.

Now it was a warm day today - 23 degrees, so this may be perfectly normal. The temp was set to 21 degrees in the car and the cold air is clearly working fine.

The drive was about 25 miles, a-road at 50 mph and dual carriageway at 70-80 mph.

I guess I need to experience it in all conditions to understand if this is the way it behaves.

Do any other v70 d5 owners have an opinion on the above? The only issue I can tink of would be thermostat-related in some way.

I should add that in every other way this is a really great car - solid and comfortable.

Thanks for your help.,
Old Jul 18th, 2020, 21:29   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo1967 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I now have the car and took it out today. What I have noticed is that all seems well - however the aircon, when switched on, causes the engine cooling fan to run at full speed. I originally thought it was the aircon compressor making the noise but I am sure it's the main engine cooling fan. Pretty much immediately I switch the aircon to 'off', the fan will stop. Switch it back on and the engine cooling fan will be on intermittently but regularly.

Now it was a warm day today - 23 degrees, so this may be perfectly normal. The temp was set to 21 degrees in the car and the cold air is clearly working fine.

The drive was about 25 miles, a-road at 50 mph and dual carriageway at 70-80 mph.

I guess I need to experience it in all conditions to understand if this is the way it behaves.

Do any other v70 d5 owners have an opinion on the above? The only issue I can tink of would be thermostat-related in some way.

I should add that in every other way this is a really great car - solid and comfortable.

Thanks for your help.,
The cooling fan will always run whilst the AC is operating , usually at low speed though depending on the outside temperature and engine and ambient temp etc . if the engine gets hot on a hot day it may well run fast but it should slow down shortly after. The fan has infinitely variable speeds so no fixed steps .
Old Jul 19th, 2020, 00:29   #7
Borealis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The cooling fan will always run whilst the AC is operating , usually at low speed though depending on the outside temperature and engine and ambient temp etc . if the engine gets hot on a hot day it may well run fast but it should slow down shortly after. The fan has infinitely variable speeds so no fixed steps .
A super video illustrating what Clan just said (although title of clip a bit misleading, I think it should rather be "Volvo cooling fan noise...": https://youtu.be/qqOK4F6w1g8
Borealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2020, 08:02   #8
GDPR

Thanks again everyone. This seems to suggest that things are normal and this is just a lack of experience on my part.
Old Jul 24th, 2020, 14:54   #9
apersson850
Premier Member

The cooling fan will not always run just because the AC is on. But it's much more likely that it will run, as more cooling is needed.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2020, 17:22   #10
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile real figures

You could always plug in an inexpensive elm327 (sub £10) blutooth obd 2 dongle, plug is to the right of the steering wheel under dash.. and run the torque app on your phone or similar, you can then see the coolant temp (should max out at 89c when warmed up) i think from memory, and other stuff like boost and intake temp etc, probably too much info but just a thought.. just bear in mind that the dash gauge doesnt really work like a linear gauge its more like a "temp is in range if vertical" indicator, so the obd figures will flutuate while the gauge on the dash stays vertical.. hope thats making some sense

Last edited by Thassos; Jul 24th, 2020 at 17:28. Reason: and another thing..
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote