Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Drivers seat

Views : 681

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 8th, 2020, 06:40   #1
genghisk

Default Drivers seat

Just a quick one.

Should my drivers seat be able to adjust up and down? It tilts, slides and obviously the back rest adjusts but can't seem to see if it the base will lower...? It's a 97 V40 T4.

Cheers

Nath
genghisk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to genghisk For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2020, 08:11   #2
P156KWJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisk View Post
Just a quick one.

Should my drivers seat be able to adjust up and down? It tilts, slides and obviously the back rest adjusts but can't seem to see if it the base will lower...? It's a 97 V40 T4.

Cheers

Nath
If it's like mine the assembly is on a scissor style plinth that has a separate lever for front height adjustment and rear height adjustment, rather than adjusting it all at once. Later ones had an electric adjustment option but I don't think that was the case with Phase 1s unless someone can tell me otherwise.
P156KWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to P156KWJ For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2020, 17:39   #3
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

genghisk, I guess from your post you've not got the glovebox manual and so working out how to raise & lower the seat's not that intuitive.

To raise the front & rear you lift each lever and then either push down on the seat to lower it, or let it rise itself.

Perhaps it's already at the top or bottom of its travel, which is why you might not think to push it down or lift it up.

As it springs up when the levers are released you'll need to push down to lower the seat but to you it might feel like you're doing something wrong.

Attached is the pages from the US online manual which might help you to work out where the levers are on the seat.

BTW, well done on going for the T4 - I've got one myself, lots of fun
Attached Files
File Type: pdf seat adjustment Volvo S40 + V40 p72-75.pdf (91.3 KB, 11 views)
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 20:29   #4
genghisk

Cheers CharlesStevenson thanks for the download but I'm afraid that's not my seat, I've got a phase 1 v40 and on the left hand side of the drivers seat there is only one lever that if pushed down let's me tilt the seat base. The lever can be pulled up but nothing happens...

Love the T4s though, always had a soft spot for them since I was a kid. Mine needs some TLC but nothing major
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 07:29   #5
ITSv40
VOC Member

The phase1 seats have a single lever on the inside side of the seat. It stands up at an angle at the join of the backrest and the seat cushion. Pull the lever up to adjust the rear and push down to adjust the front. Best done sitting in the seat and using your weight to either allow the cushion to rise or depress it downwards.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 19:04   #6
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Whoops genghisk - I missed the '97 part of your 1st post but it looks like ITSv40 has given you the answer you required.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesStevenson For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 17th, 2020, 06:16   #7
genghisk

So after looking under the seat... there was nothing I could see that looked out of place, un till that was I tapped the frame very lightly with a hammer, there was a load bang and now my seat goes up and down when the lever is pulled up....as it should I guess...

Something wedged or seized perhaps

Thanks all anyway