Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gear Selector Service Required

Views : 31269

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2019, 07:56   #21
Varga Peter

Default Gear selector service required

I had the gear selector service required messege appear a couple times on the dash on a 2014 XC60. I went to the Volvo repair station, where they checked the cabelling and said it will be fine. I drove the car again, then it popped up again. I drove to the station again, where they put a new gear selector into the car (300 EUR). I drove again a couple days and it popped up again, I drove to the station again, now I had to leave my car for a whole week there. They had finally found the issue, three wires belonging to the main electrical circuit were damaged and caused a short circuit in the car. They had to rewire the foulty parts and I paid 300 EUR again, but I seems, the problem has been solved.
Varga Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2019, 21:38   #22
ZippyIII

Found the fault on mine, mouse got in and ate the ribbon cable
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mouse cable.jpg (173.1 KB, 94 views)
ZippyIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2019, 11:59   #23
viriia

@Jeffxc90
HOW U REPLACE THE RIBBON CABLE? THANKS
viriia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2019, 12:11   #24
viriia

@Jeffxc90
HOW U REPLACE THE RIBBON CABLE? THANKS
Old Oct 26th, 2019, 14:01   #25
viriia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyIII View Post
Found the fault on mine, mouse got in and ate the ribbon cable
how to replace that ribbon cable? do u have instruction? thanks
Old Oct 26th, 2019, 14:02   #26
viriia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffxc90 View Post
I have found the issue.

The ribbon cable has burned. Of course I can not see an obvious reason for this to happen. The attached files show the damage.

The next question is....Can I replace just the ribbon cable? How do I get the gear shifter off so I can get access to it?

THanks
how to replace that ribbon cable? do u have instruction? thanks
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 11:48   #27
NMB
Volvo XC90 T6 & XC90 D5

I have the Gear Selector Service required to issue and having stripped down the selector I have resistance tested the ribbon with an ammeter and its all good - put back together and it moved to D once but then nothing and the same error.

Anyone got any next step ideas here?
NMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 15:11   #28
racingclub

I was the thread starter many years ago.

We've still got the old girl, but no-one has ever got to the bottom of my problem.

It comes and goes - maybe months without error, and then pops up again. We just live with it now.
racingclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 19:04   #29
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, there is an earlier thread from a guy in oz who had similar issues

The cause was one of his kids spilling fizzy think on the area of the gear selector. The fizzy drink had seeped through onto the small pcb
This little pcb holds the 'led devices' that indicate gear position and the 'w' on winter mode.

In his case it was very obvious that some of the tracks on this pcb had deteriorated.

As it happenes I was replacing my gear knob and gaiter and saw a complete selector unit on ebay for about £40. The knob on this donor was fully leathered rather than the grey plasticky knob I had fitted. The silver grey had worn through to white base plastic and the small pin which allows the button to pivot the selector button had broken it:s housing and was ready to fail disasterusly. So I gave mine a treat of a new knob assy and gaiter.

So the rest was spare and offered the pcb to the guy for cost of postage. Upon fitting hos problems solved.

I suggest it is helpful to remove the whole assembly by unplugging all cables and the bolts that hold the unit down in the area of transmission tunnel.

Actually revealing the pcb is not easy as there it is behind a small plastic plate that clips into the housing of the whole unit. I managed to prise this out on the doner pretty easily but this may be because I had the whole unit on a bench.

The guy on Oz had less luck breaking one of the lugs but there is no pressure on this assembly and three lugs held it in place.

This thread was summer 2021 and you could see the whole of the history here.
So my suggestion is to buy a donor selector on the bay and play with it. Your problems could well be this pcb or cables, but beware.

The ribbon cables cannot be unplugged from the pcb and are fixed to the pcb, even though they look like they can be unplugged. DONT Try.

Hope this helps someone.

Looking at ebay this evening I see

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-XC9...-127635-2958-0

Plus a load more.

John l
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john langrick For This Useful Post: