Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Underside Potection?

Views : 1116

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2012, 21:02   #1
000mark000

Default XC90 Underside Potection?

I note that some XC90s have metallic/brushed steel underside protection and the front and back (the back piece being wider on the 2006 facelift). My 2004 54 doesn't have this.

Was it an option, and if so, does anyone know if it can be retrofitted?

Thanks
Mark
000mark000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 22:10   #2
Sportwag

The rear bumper piece is plastic (offers zero protection) and was added as part of the 2006 facelift. You can buy an aftermarket rear bumper skirt for the Pre-facelifted models from sellers on eBay and retro fit - I bought one (from Poland) ready painted however the fibreglass "gassed out" during the cold winter months and left small pinheads in the paint finish. Some others on this forum have bought and fitted these and I am not sure if they faired better.
Sportwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 23:40   #3
000mark000

Thanks - not reall bothered about protection, just aesthetics. Main issue is that at the front, the bit below my intercooler piece is a bit tarnished, so keen to get something that covers it up/tidies it up.
000mark000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 00:26   #4
Sportwag

Get it resprayed or do it yourself. On my previous XC90, I used a wire brush on a drill and resprayed using Hammerite Smooth silver. If you do go to a body shop, it should not be too expensive.
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 14:28   #5
GerryS

I fitted the genuine Volvo skid plate to the rear of my 2006 (pre-facelift) XC90.

I saw the fibreglass ones on ebay, but went for the original from FRF in Swansea. It's just silver plastic, so won't give any/much protection, but very easy to fit and vastly improves the look of the rear bumper in my view.

As others say, the front plate is standard and can easily be refurbished with a bit of attention.

Gerry
GerryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 19:50   #6
xallenx

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryS View Post
I fitted the genuine Volvo skid plate to the rear of my 2006 (pre-facelift) XC90.

I saw the fibreglass ones on ebay, but went for the original from FRF in Swansea. It's just silver plastic, so won't give any/much protection, but very easy to fit and vastly improves the look of the rear bumper in my view.

As others say, the front plate is standard and can easily be refurbished with a bit of attention.

Gerry
Do you have pixs?
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 21:59   #7
Sportwag

In my view the Volvo aftermarket fitment looks a bit naff and seems to discolour over time. The alternative is to buy a 2nd hand 2006 onwards bumper and fit it instead.
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 16:55   #8
GerryS

Quote:
Originally Posted by xallenx View Post
Do you have pixs?
See attached pic - sorry not a brilliant picture (probably should have taken the towbar off first!). The skid plate is just fitted with some plastic bolts with allen key heads.

Not had any problems with it discolouring after 2 and a half years. The post 2006 facelift skid plate is much wider and I don't know whether it fits the pre-facelidt bumper exactly. I stuck with this one because it wasn't too expensive and was right for the model year.

Gerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4413 (Medium).JPG (51.9 KB, 24 views)
GerryS is offline   Reply With Quote