Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Halfords named worst UK retailer

Views : 12451

Replies : 182

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2012, 12:04   #1
js7799
250K and Counting

Default Halfords named worst UK retailer

Not much surprise here

Halfords’ staff were “unhelpful and rude”, according to a survey of 11,000 shoppers. The bike and car parts store scored only 51 out of 100 in the poll for consumer watchdog Which?.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...rst-store.html
2002 Volvo V70
2009 Volvo V70 SE 2.0
js7799 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to js7799 For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:22   #2
Daim
Brit in Germany

Went to Halfords Lowestoft on Wednesday as I was there and I actually got a rather friendly answer from someone...

I asked for Xenon bulbs for my C30. He said "we unfortunately don't sell them here, as the demand isn't there. Be prepared though for some costy prices though". And that was it...

He seemed to be competent and was friendly...

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:29   #3
y2blade
Premier Member

tbh I never need Advice from the staff....I just go in, grab what I need and pay.

I can't remember the last time I EVER asked a member of staff in ANY shop for their opinions on things!

Last edited by y2blade; May 21st, 2012 at 12:32.
y2blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:42   #4
catflem
Master Member

They're always the shop of last resort for me.

The customer service aspect doesn't worry me unduly......... its their rip off prices that really get my goat.

Sticking items on a bit of cardboard and then vacuum wrapping it, does not mean that you can charge 3 or 4 times what an item is worth.
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:55   #5
Axionknight
Premier Member

I'm not suprised really, they just employ melons so let's face it - what can you expect?

I buy oil and cleaning products from 'em, but only when it's on offer.
Axionknight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Axionknight For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2012, 13:07   #6
Volvo6
Master Member

I have mixed views on Halfords; I like the concept of being able to go into an shop where I can buy tools, car cleaning stuff, oil and all sorts of other stuff, all in one place...that I like.

I rarely ask for advice on things in Halfords because I generally know what I want and I just go in and get it. On the rare occasions that I do have to ask the staff for help they are usually quite helpful but certainly don't strike me as being particularly knowledgeable about cars.

The problem with Halfords as I see it is that they have delved too far into the fitting/repair side of things with cars without really having the expertise to do so. Not only that but they have but they have perpetuated the image that they can carry out the functions of a garage when they quite clearly can't.

The last two times I've been there I've overheard clearly clueless motorists asking for all sorts of help with car things like seat belts not working to punctures. Most of the time the staff politely reply that they can't address issues like that. I wonder what gave people the idea though that Halfords was a place to ask about things like that in the first place? Just go to a proper garage for goodness sake!

Halfords should stick to selling stuff and maybe fitting windscreen wipers etc. And stop pretending and advertising they are something they are not!
Old May 21st, 2012, 13:14   #7
Volvo6
Master Member

Just to add to that I have a lot of Halfords tools at home; axle stands, trolley jack, ratchet sets, torque wrenches etc and they all seem to be of good quality and I would happily by tools from them again.
Old May 21st, 2012, 13:18   #8
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

The staff in my local Halford's are quite hopeless and not interested in helping. I've asked staff a couple of times where certain items are kept only to be told they don't stock them when they actually did and I once went in for an item but they were out of stock and oh what a hassle it was to get them to check the other Halford's on the other side of the city. But the thing I hate the most is their dishonest approach to their advertised discounted prices and how they mark up an item significantly for a short period so they can then advertise it as on special, however one thing I have realised is that their specials can still be above the RRP so I then look elsewhere for a decent deal. The one good thing is that they are only around the corner and are open late and on weekends.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 13:53   #9
blackrevolver
Premier Member

Quote:
I wonder what gave people the idea though that Halfords was a place to ask about things like that in the first place? Just go to a proper garage for goodness sake!
Its prob because they advertise virtually everywhere in their store (along the lines of) "we fit this, just ask" so I guess customers believe the staff are trained up to offer expert advice.
blackrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 14:02   #10
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Never been ill-treated nor had bad attitude in the local Halfords in Colchester. Actually, quite the contrary. As for help when asked, always and never seemed to be an issue.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote