Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

tow bars

Views : 1357

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2006, 21:49   #1
xc90er

Default tow bars

Hi,
Anyone fitted a towbar to their xc90? Is it better to go for a volvo own £££ brand or a halford one? What does the standard "tow bar preparation" mean? IS the electrics already fitted under the bumper?

Thanks guys.
xc90er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 09:10   #2
tedm

Hi,
I had a Witter towbar fitted a couple of years ago at a local towbar fitters in Chester. Work cost about £300 and was a good job.

Volvo towbar is good an removable which is nice, but it's expensive as usual.

Witter towbar is also removable and at least as good as Volvo.

Not sure about Halford but I'd be a little wary. Main thing is to have it fitted by pro's as it's easily possible to mess up the wiring if not done properly with the correct parts.

Wiring is built into the car but if you get it wrong car will not start!

Check out you rlocal towbar fitters and ask for a witter removable bar.
tedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 13:59   #3
DCO

As I was buying a new vehicle, and being a wimp, I opted for the Volvo detachable bar on the basis that if anything went wrong, it had to be the dealers fault! Although any competent fitter should be able to cope with the XC90, if there were problems, you might find one party trying to blame another. Some tings would be obvious, but if it was somehow wired incorrectly, you may find it affecting something that appeared unrelated to the tow bar. Who then pays for the time spent tackling the problem when the effect is found to have been caused by the tow bar fitment?

Conversely, if the vehicle is already out of warranty, then I would probably opt for the Witter, although it would depend how much I was saving. If you get a quote from the dealer, try and negotiate a better price. You may find that the eventual saving on a third party bar is not worth it in respect of your peace of mind!
DCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 20:22   #4
xc90er

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCO
As I was buying a new vehicle, and being a wimp, I opted for the Volvo detachable bar on the basis that if anything went wrong, it had to be the dealers fault! Although any competent fitter should be able to cope with the XC90, if there were problems, you might find one party trying to blame another. Some tings would be obvious, but if it was somehow wired incorrectly, you may find it affecting something that appeared unrelated to the tow bar. Who then pays for the time spent tackling the problem when the effect is found to have been caused by the tow bar fitment?

Conversely, if the vehicle is already out of warranty, then I would probably opt for the Witter, although it would depend how much I was saving. If you get a quote from the dealer, try and negotiate a better price. You may find that the eventual saving on a third party bar is not worth it in respect of your peace of mind!
Cheers. I'll get a quote for the witter tow bar and see how far i get with the dealer.
xc90er is offline   Reply With Quote