Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bicycle lighting

Views : 10132

Replies : 175

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2013, 22:40   #171
griston64
Premier Member

I seem to have double posted here !

Last edited by griston64; Dec 12th, 2013 at 22:45. Reason: Double post
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 22:42   #172
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippedoffagain View Post
Only when I thought I'd built up enough speed such that any more and I wouldn't be able to stop in most reasonably anticipated circumstances.

I'm not suggesting that someone should walk in front of every vehicle carrying a warning flag, just that its common sense that you have to balance safety against actually getting where going in a reasonable time. There is nothing that will stop from 30mph in a few feet (unless it meets an immovable object like a wall or the back of a lorry), but you have to sort of balance what you think others are likely to do with what you'll be able to do about it when they do.

I know a pushbike doesn't stop that quickly. I've found that out myself the hard way, so I tend to not cane it along where I think there's a real chance of having stop abrubtly.

I used to ride a racer years ago, and I found they just don't stop. I prefer mountain bikes now, and I prefer to be off the road rather than on it, but I've found that a mountain bike stops in a fraction of the distance that a road bike does. I guess its because there's more rubber on the road and they are less aerodynamic. Not great for doing good distances on the road though.
Its the disc brakes on mtb's that make the massive difference. My mtb has high end Avid discs and the stopping power is amazing. I don't really use it much though and it would be far too slow for commuting. Also I ride single speed to work as it's simpler and cheaper to maintain for all year round use. Rim brakes on all road bikes are pretty useless for stopping as you rightly say. Funny thing is the campag Chorus on my race bike are the best I have but they are only really there for decoration unless you are descending on windy roads.
740 SE 1990
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 17:11   #173
volvorocks
Rodney

I have read most of the thread and do not see any mention of car drivers that drive on full beam in country lanes, simply ignoring and disrespecting any oncoming cyclist. Used to really annoy me.

I do not really cycle much nowadays although used to, and used to tow a little chariot with my bike as well. I had two bright lights on the front of the bike, one was 'normal' and lit the road up incredibly well, the other 'high beam' with an extended range.They ran off a large battery that fitted where the drinks holder went. When a car approached that was on full beam I simply flicked the on button of the 'high beam' lamp, which normally ensured the car driver dipped their lights.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 19:18   #174
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

My name's Chris and I ride a bike.
There, I've said it and don't feel any different!!
Read the first 5 pages of this and it seems to be going back and forwards as normal when this subject comes up. There are good, law abiding cyclists and there's not. There are good, law abiding car drivers and there's not. We need to all get along to make the roads that little bit safer for everyone using them. Cyclists coming along a main road with bright flashing lights! If I come to a junction and see a bright flashing light I will stop and wait anyway, whether or not it's a cyclist.
Not sure if this has been brought up during this 'discussion'. One of my concerns that I only started thinking about a few weeks ago concerning the ultra bright flashers... how many people have suffered an epileptic fit in the street, or even in a vehicle because of the flashing light? It's a well documented fact that epileptic fits can be brought on by this strobe effect. We hear the warnings on telly all the time in the news when there might be lots of camera flashes on a report. They warn about it on strobe lights also. Has any incidents been attributed to this or do they just go as un-explained.
2014 V40 Cross Country
Please consider registering with the Anthony Nolan Trust, you could save a life.
scottishvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scottishvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 19:36   #175
owyn
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippedoffagain View Post
Right at the beginning of my driving days, my dad, who's driven just about everything with wheels or tracks professionally for his whole working life gave me a piece of advice that has saved my skin more times than I can't count.

It went like this. "Don't wait to see how things are going to turn out, if something's not right, slow down, slam on if you have to, just don't wait".

Obviously the circumstances have some input here. A few times I've jumped on the throttle instead of the brake, such as if I make a mistake and put myself broadside with a great big truck for example, so lets not get hung up on the detail, but the essence of it is right.

I once, when I was inexperienced, didn't apply that advice. I saw something going on about 200 yards ahead, so I eased off the throttle but didn't brake. By the time I realised that all the cars in front were not just slowing down but were actually stopped, I ended up doing quite an impressive skid as I tried to stop in time (I managed it thankfully).

I saw someone mention how they'd been overtaken then the car slammed on. May I respectfully suggest that I would not have taken it for granted that he was going to give me any clearance, and I'd have been on the brakes the instant I realised he was starting to come back into lane too close in front. Ok, it sounds like the car driver was at fault, but who is to blame doesn't really make that much difference if you're smashed up or dead. I take the same attitude in the car as I do on a bike. Try to limit my own mistakes (we all make them), try to have some sort of contingency in case I make a mistake (ie don't be 'at the limit' of anything and have a backup plan (overtaking for example, I always make sure I've got twice as much time as I think I need, and that I can drop back in as a last resort)), and EXPECT other people to make mistakes and allow some contingency for WHEN they do.
That was me that mentioned it, and thanks for the advice, I had no chance, cars stop much faster than bikes, especially on damp roads. It wasn't numptiness on my part being an advanced driver and former pro bike racer.
I managed to start slowing when I heard the car behind and realised there wasn't enough room to do the overtake. The only reason I stayed up was I managed to take the heat out of it before the guy had overtaken me, if I'd waited until he was alongside even it would have resulted in a face plant into his rear screen.
owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to owyn For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 13:53   #176
liberate
I've Been Banned

i use flashing lights, cycling in urban areas means lots of lights thus making bike lights easy to miss. in my opinion flashing lights are better seen. have to say as a motorist i've never had a problem with bike lights?

Last edited by liberate; Dec 23rd, 2013 at 16:39.
liberate is offline   Reply With Quote