Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bi-Fuel engine Differnces

Views : 1280

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 08:39   #1
Stumo

Default Bi-Fuel engine Differnces

Copyed from S70 forum -'Classicswede' you might be able to help me?

Looking at replacing the PCV system after tracking down a vacuum leak at the flame trap and currently doing the required reading and research. All the images I have found all show a hose from the top of the oil separator running up through the manifold and attaching under the spark plug cover. I dont seem to have this hose. I know the inlet manifold has the gas injectors fitted to it (possibly a variation from the standard part number) does it have a different PCV system too? I'd like to have the correct parts at the reassembly phase...
Also has anybody successfully reconfigured the wiring from the 'gas tank level indicator on the cluster back to water temp? The tank was removed when shipping the car and the cost to reinstate the system is prohibitive. When im taking the manifold off, Im planning on blanking the gas 'injector' ports, removing water and vacuum connections and removing the redundant parts- is this even possible ? Im running the car perfectly with the control ECU for the gas unplugged. The dealers here stared blankly at me when I mentioned it was a Bi fuel model. So any help gratefully accepted.
Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 16:10   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

By the description it sounds like you have a 10 valve engine. The breather system on the 10 is not the same but can't think exactly off the top of my head where the pipe connects
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 16:13   #3
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

The hose from the catch tank to under the spark-plug cover is identiical to the stock vehicle, on the 20V anyway. Not unique, but still I had a game, but the correct part is not unique to Bifuels. Last time round I cobbled my own bigger-bore hose because the Volvo version is too small and clogs. I only stayed with factory type on the hose you refer too, because it ws pretty good.

Bigger hose is the way to go and is covered on numerous posts on the PCV issue. Careful not to be distracted by the boy-racer mods done to this, they won't work. That tiny hard-nylon hose clogs, definitely be rid of that. Remember Volvo don't make cars or PCV hoses for the lieks of you with your 15+ year old clunker. They make proper hoses, for them, ones that last the warranty... then clog.

Use fully syth oil and they don't clog half as much.

Don't feck about with factory bits, those are for the slack-jawed insisting on being taken up the jacksy by Vovlo, this is your boy...

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...ic.php?t=53448

Cheaper. Better.

PS: Do you realise how rare that car is in RHD? Have you the CNG or LPG flavour Bifuel? If its factory fit Bifuel and CNG, you likely have the last one in the world.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jan 3rd, 2016 at 16:53.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 19:54   #4
Stumo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...ic.php?t=53448

Cheaper. Better.

PS: Do you realise how rare that car is in RHD? Have you the CNG or LPG flavour Bifuel? If its factory fit Bifuel and CNG, you likely have the last one in the world.
Thankyou - that makes sense the maths in that link - I shall head down that path.
Is having the last one in the world a good thing? Why would it be the last one?
It is factory fit CNG (10v)- no good here, we only have LPG in these parts. I realised it was an option - due to the cluster being marked with the gas level, but the way the filler is riveted in and "sealed" under the filler flap - I assumed it was an after market option pack installed by the local agent (some mechanics not known for the aesthetics of their work) not factory. If its rare I'll stick it on a boat and send it back! Ive only had it a couple of months and bits just keep breaking ,but , as you say its a 15+ year old clunker - good thing I love it + there arent too many of them around here..
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 08:00   #5
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

The PCV is just hoses, cobble your own larger bore version and you'll have upgraded for far less that it will ever cost for Volvo hoses. So why would you not?

You have the first ever production CNG car in the world. Volvo did it first and yours is it. The filler is factory because theyweren't going to tool just for teh few made in RHD. There are some LHD versions but yours will be hte last RHD.

It is what I thought it was. Rare but sadly for you, that deos not maek it valauble. Few even know it existed. You have the last in the world. Volvo only brought them in as press-mules, they numbered depending on who you listen to either, two or under four as i understand. The others went to the crusher. I suspect this is the car that was wandering about South London. I was chasing it forever but could never quite track its owner, until after he had sold it. I would have paid handsomely for it.

Back here, to the vast majority it is worth no more than its stock equivelant.
I want that filler you speak of and the gas ECU too! So don't break it with lettign me know. I'll make it worth your while. Please PM me you tel numebr and I'll call you for more info. If you still have the CNG filler receptacle I'll pay you £50 for that alone.You'll need a 28mm spanner if I recall.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jan 5th, 2016 at 08:03.
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 23:53   #6
Stumo

Smile

I'll PM you later with details - Id be more than happy to box up any bits you need and send to the Mother land (you can have the whole fookin lot- no good here). However the back of the filler has been unceremoniously cut and filled with sealant. Ill patch the inside of the filler...

I did as you said- cobbled together larger bore hoses and a couple of copper 90 plumbers brazing bends to stop any kinks. Works like (better than) new.

The answer to the question - "where is the second hose from the catch can to the port under the spark plug cover" is there is no second hose on a 10v engine. Only a single outlet on the oil trap.

What an arse removing the manifold with all those gas hoses, I removed the injectors and replaced them with M10 1mm pitch bolts with ends ground to match the profile of the intake , refitting was a breeze with no octopus of gas hoses to wrestle with, and continued to remove all the gas components and bracket ( I looped the water hose back into the tee that did run to the BSGT (big shiny gas thing).
Started car and it ran like a dream - will track down wiring to water temp sender after my cuppa, to see if I can have a water temp indication on dash.
Old Jan 8th, 2016, 13:51   #7
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Well done. I t beats me why thsi common job is not done this way as a matter of course. The factroy hoses are known to be poor, pricey and too small, so clog all the more so need doign again. I suspect now you've done yours, you'll never need think of it again.

Parts: Happy to have what you've got, and pay accordingly. I'm after anything largely because when I need it, I'll not get it for any price. It simply will not exist, and information is non-existent for a car that no one took interest in, back in the day, let alone now. Reliable info isn't available. Mine is not even registered as a Bifuel.
It's ironic that the last should not even be in the UK.

I should ahve thought you could use the gas level gauge as a WT. Who we kiddin', why bother with a WT gauge when if the calbration is roughly right, it'll do the job? Hell, methinks, barn-yard mechanics is fine here. I use a Scangauge in my OBDB port for WT, but they are pricey.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jan 8th, 2016 at 14:04.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 07:07   #8
Stumo

Ive PM'd you...