Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Problem with car modem

Views : 18462

Replies : 118

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 20th, 2018, 20:18   #21
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Default Modem Software Problem

The last two days every time I start the car the Car’s Modem fails to connect with the only way to obtain a connection being to delete the Modem’s Data Settings and allow it to then auto connect after which in most cases it works as normal.
This problem has only occurred since its 3 month service last week when approx 17 modules had software updates.
Has/is anyone else experienced this constantly reoccurring software related problem?
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 10:23   #22
Neil S

In a word, yes.
I have tried everything mentioned here to try and get it working following the service. Nothing works and I've removed the SIM and put it in a phone and it worked fine. Back in the car and it doesn't work.
So I'll have to go to the dealer to be told there's nothing they can do or I doubt they'll even understand the problem.
Had a hired Skoda in Scotland this last week and it was nice to be in a car that just worked and didn't sound like I was driving around in a rattling van.
Neil S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Neil S For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 11:04   #23
Chief inspector
Master Member

This does all sound a bit poor, this is now a very standard feature on these cars and the dealers should really be fully trained in putting the network settings back to the way the customer had them and then making sure it works before giving it back.

Its not some rare earth weird option or 3rd party accessory.

Last edited by Chief inspector; Dec 23rd, 2018 at 11:12. Reason: Typo
Chief inspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 17:27   #24
Bicax

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
The last two days every time I start the car the Car’s Modem fails to connect with the only way to obtain a connection being to delete the Modem’s Data Settings and allow it to then auto connect after which in most cases it works as normal.
This problem has only occurred since its 3 month service last week when approx 17 modules had software updates.
Has/is anyone else experienced this constantly reoccurring software related problem?
Yes, it's exactly what I tried to describe initially, and after all this time it's still an ongoing issue...

I have tried everything (except going back got the dealer due to lack of time) and nothing seems to fix it.

In the meantime what I've been doing is resetting the modem data settings when going on a long trip, since that seems to fix it until I restar the car. And for short trips, I just use Bluetooth tethering and share my phone's Internet connection.

It's inconvenient since sometimes Spotify buffers too much if I'm not using the car's antenna, but it does the job.

If my dealer manages to fix this I will let you know.
Bicax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bicax For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 22:47   #25
Mavi57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicax View Post
Yes, it's exactly what I tried to describe initially, and after all this time it's still an ongoing issue...

I have tried everything (except going back got the dealer due to lack of time) and nothing seems to fix it.

In the meantime what I've been doing is resetting the modem data settings when going on a long trip, since that seems to fix it until I restar the car. And for short trips, I just use Bluetooth tethering and share my phone's Internet connection.

It's inconvenient since sometimes Spotify buffers too much if I'm not using the car's antenna, but it does the job.

If my dealer manages to fix this I will let you know.
I found this workaround - after every trip I remove the sim in the trunk and replace it after 5 seconds. This enables the internet connection in the car and the connection with the On Call App on the phone. What doesn't work is the On Call button in the car - I get an error during transmission of car's location.
Mavi57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 23:44   #26
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
Still having to repeatedly action the above ‘most’ days to get the Modem to connect...........
Before I contact my dealer next week to get the Modem Software reinstalled/reloaded, does anyone know the initials of the Modem Control Module so I can check it against the report I asked for showing the 17 modules updated several weeks ago? Maybe Clan?
Old Dec 29th, 2018, 10:24   #27
Lexman8
Premier Member

It's probably the Vehicle Connectivity Module (VCM) and/or the TEM module if that's still a separate unit.
_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ECU dependencies.jpg (391.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Software update modules v3.jpg (291.1 KB, 54 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2018, 11:15   #28
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
It's probably the Vehicle Connectivity Module (VCM) and/or the TEM module if that's still a separate unit.
_
Brilliant - the VCM module was updated last month so may well need 'refreshing'.
There was no mention of the TEM as being updated, so may no longer be applicable.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 10:15   #29
simonjedrake
Premier Member

UPDATE
Just been into my dealer this morning who confirmed that the above problem with the cars Internal Modem not consistently connecting is now a known fault and is subject to TJ 34350 (or 35340?) released on 21st Dec.
So until it is fixed I shall continue my daily routine for the 9 out of 10 times it auto fails to connect on start up which always fixes it of:
Under Settings of Network/Mobile Data - I just "delete/confirm/re-enter/confirm" both the Username AND Password fields which for Vodafone are the same easy 3 digits 'wap' each time.
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 03:47   #30
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Angry

Hi to all. Same issue/problem here.
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote