Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake Fluid low

Views : 5727

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2019, 21:13   #1
giw12

Default Brake Fluid low

Hi

About 3 weeks ago the low brake fluid light flashed up very briefly when I turned very sharply. Since then the message has been displayed for a longer and longer period and as of yesterday, on the drive to drop off for a service, the message was almost permanently displayed. The fluid level in the resevoir is low so it’s not going to be the level sensor.

The indie has had a good look but can’t find anything, and even the 4 year old/40000m front brake discs look fine (rears changed 2 years ago).

Any ideas why fluid levels are dropping so quickly? There is no record of a fluid change in the last 6 years so maybe this is the issue?

Car is 2006 D5 163hp auto.

Thank you

Last edited by giw12; Jan 30th, 2019 at 21:15. Reason: Missed a bit
giw12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 21:20   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

It's a sealed system.

You can only loose brake fluid through a leak.

Look carefully everywhere.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 22:03   #3
robsterpaterson

You say that the front discs look fine, what about the pads? What about the rear pads?? As the pads wear, the fluid level will drop as the pistons sit further out of the caliper body.
If they're OK, as Swiss says, the fluid has to be leaking somewhere. Maybe try topping the fluid up and either have someone pump the brakes while you check ALL of the lines, hoses, unions and calipers or fashion a length of wood to hold the brakes under pressure. Be better to have a glamorous assistant on hand to pump them as should be easier to spot a leak that way vs constant pressure I reckon.
'01 ZX12R
robsterpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 22:09   #4
harveys
Master Member

The Brake master cylinder could be leaking have a good look above the pedal in the car.
or could be leaking into the servo not so easy to find.
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 09:44   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

As previously mentioned, its most likely due to brake pads wearing down, this is quite normal, as they wear the brake fluid level drops, just add a little to bring it above minimum level, but not too much as when you eventually replace the pads and push the pistons back to get new pads in, the fluid level will rise and overflow if you put too much in and don't take some out before pushing pistons back. (Warning brake fluid will damage paintwork so take care)

"BUT" Check that there is not anything leaking to be sure, as warning lamps should never be ignored and the cause found, leaks in the brake system usually result in air getting in and a spongy brake pedal.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 11:02   #6
gmonag
Premier Member

Quote:
About 3 weeks ago the low brake fluid light flashed up very briefly when I turned very sharply. Since then the message has been displayed for a longer and longer period and as of yesterday, on the drive to drop off for a service, the message was almost permanently displayed.
So you drove for 3 weeks with no brake fluid.........!?

Those warnings are there for a reason.

Last edited by gmonag; Jan 31st, 2019 at 11:04.
gmonag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 12:51   #7
giw12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonag View Post
So you drove for 3 weeks with no brake fluid.........!?

Those warnings are there for a reason.
Not sure where I said there was no brake fluid....I monitored the level in the reservoir.

Yes, I'm aware of the purpose of warning lights/messages.
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 12:52   #8
giw12

Apparently the pads are all fine as well.

After 4yrs/40k, can I really drive so like Miss Daisy that my front pads are still fine?
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 14:05   #9
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giw12 View Post
After 4yrs/40k, can I really drive so like Miss Daisy that my front pads are still fine?
Totally

Brake pad wear is governed primarily by two factors:
  • Geography (hills cause you to brake more)
  • Driving style (some drivers brake harder and more often than others)
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 14:16   #10
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

I agree with Harveys - as yours is a 2006 after 12+ years could well be the seals in the master cylinder are past their best allowing fluid into the servo. Not sure how you test for this though; I guess if everything else is checked and leak tight, then has to be the master cylinder.
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote