Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sitting at traffic lights-correct procedure?

Views : 1353

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 06:48   #11
SwissXC90
Premier Member

I was taught that you should always have your foot on the brake when stopped for a number of reasons:

You have positive control of the car, and are actively braking. No chance of it rolling.

If someone drives up to you from behind, they know you are braking and are more inclined to slow down and stop thus reducing the chance of running in to you.

If everyone in the queue at a red lignt has their brakes on, the combined row of brake lights is a clearer indication to other vehicles driving up that a queue of braking or stopped traffic exists, and the will more likely slow down thus reducing the chances of a rear end accident

If someone hits you from behind, here is less chance of you rolling forward into the car in front, as your brakes are applied. This reduces accident damage.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 09:34   #12
AB-UK
Premier Member

From the point of view of the laws of physics, allowing the vehicle to move forward if impacted from the rear will decrease the amount of damage done to the rear.
And if you are stopped half a car length from the car in front, as my instructor taught me many years ago, you are less likely to be shunted forward into it.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 10:07   #13
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

A couple of other factors to think about:

- if you have just come to rest from say 60 mph, the brakes will be hot. Keeping pressure applied whilst stationary can caused the discs to glaze unevenly resulting in brake judder. Some may be sceptical of this but I have experienced it when Mrs T borrows my 90.

- if you are sat in traffic with the car in d and your foot on the brake, if you get hit hard and disorientated you’re likely to take your foot off the brake....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 10:45   #14
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Passage from the Highway code:

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Feb 3rd, 2019 at 10:50.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 10:49   #15
gmonag
Premier Member

Quote:
when the auto hold is applied the brake lights stay on until you pull away, even when foot is off the brake pedal
Is that a fact? If so, it should be outlawed in order to comply with The Highway Code
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 15:18   #16
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonag View Post
Is that a fact? If so, it should be outlawed in order to comply with The Highway Code
It is a fact, its no different as a driver keeping his foot on the brake pedal, you can't outlaw everyone's right foot to stop that happening but in the auto hold cars the driver still has the obligation and option to either apply the electric parking brake which releases the foot brake and brake lights or putting gear selector in park which in my car releases the foot brake and applies the parking brake as well if auto hold is on.
So its the same rules in either car parking brake on, foot off brake pedal once a car stops behind you.
The problem is not everyone is aware that the brake lights stay on, its not mentioned in the owners manual, I only found out by the XC90 forum.
Now I have thought about the options the electric brake is the best option as putting gear selector to park usually starts the stop/start engine back up as you go through reverse, which is not desirable in standing traffic. The parking brake comes off automatically as you move off in my car.
I must get into the habit of using it, it even puts itself on when you turn the engine off so you just get used to everything working by itself.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Feb 3rd, 2019 at 16:48.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 18:49   #17
gmonag
Premier Member

I can't cope with all these fancy gismos, having owned older cars all my life (the newest being 2007). What happens in a few years when they all start failing?

I still miss the manual advance /retard lever...
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 13:00   #18
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

This conversation shows the benefit to all of doing an advanced drivers course where you sit with a professional police driver - an example of what not to do is sitting to turn right in the middle of the road with your foot on the foot brake and your wheels pointing right - if you are hit from behind you will be pushed into the oncoming traffic with dire consequences.
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XJSDriver For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 17:28   #19
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJSDriver View Post
what not to do is sitting to turn right in the middle of the road with your foot on the foot brake and your wheels pointing right - if you are hit from behind you will be pushed into the oncoming traffic with dire consequences.
^^THIS. Always.

I had a friend who came to grief in exactly that way on a fast A-road. He was struck from behind by a van and with his front wheels already set right, his Mini was pushed over the white line and directly into the path of an oncoming lorry, whereupon it was broadsided. That is one hell of a mess, I know, as I was following 5 minutes behind.

For this reason, I will never set my wheels for a turn across a carriageway whilst waiting.
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 18:38   #20
robsterpaterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJSDriver View Post
This conversation shows the benefit to all of doing an advanced drivers course where you sit with a professional police driver - an example of what not to do is sitting to turn right in the middle of the road with your foot on the foot brake and your wheels pointing right - if you are hit from behind you will be pushed into the oncoming traffic with dire consequences.
Any proper advanced training from RoSPA or IAMRoadsmart using 'civilian' coaches will also drill that into you. Good point though, post-test training is an excellent investment.
'01 ZX12R
robsterpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote