Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Belly pan" for '93 850 SE saloon -- essential?

Views : 1116

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 10:50   #1
scormie

Default "Belly pan" for '93 850 SE saloon -- essential?

Managed to trash the belly pan (for want of a better term) of my '93 850 SE saloon against a high kerb t'other day. This is the plastic tray that lies at the bottom of the engine compartment at the very front of the car and appears to act as a stone chip protector for the radiator, or is maybe there to improve the aerodynamics of the car -- or perhaps both!

Just want to know if it's important that it gets replaced. I suspect it won't be cheap to do so, so if it's not essential then I'd rather not!

TIA,

Stuart Cormie
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 11:57   #2
mraldonnelly

Default RE: Belly pan" for '93 850 SE saloon -- essential?

I think it's there primarilty to protect the radiator from debris being flung up. I'd definately get it replaced. Depending on the damage you could always try repairing it with Duck Tape. Magic stuff that.

Andy
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 12:31   #3
karlp

Why not use a large sheet(s) of fibreglass to repair it. If you put it on the inside (engine) then no one wil notice..

Karl
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 16:13   #4
jason

I removed mine and within 6 months had problems with water lodged in the starter motor and other areas most likely from the exposed parts not being covered,i d replace it if you can .

Jason
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 19:48   #5
sholtby
Premier Member

Default RE: Belly pan

The cover is designed to stop muck getting flung up under the engine. The one on my van came off when I went through some deep water and hasnt been replaced now for 3 years without problems.
However a previous non volvo car I had had the panel missing and during hot weather in standing traffic with the fan running the engine would get rather hot. When I fitted a belly pan it ran cooler as the air was correctly ducted from the front of the car.
In conclusion its obviously better replaced or repaired using a fiberglass repair kit.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote