Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fixed towbars and parking sensors

Views : 5894

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 21:12   #11
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

This link shows the fitting instructions for the trailer module (I hope I have the right year )

It may enable you to look at the wiring and modules on your car to identify if the correct module has been fitted to enable the rear sensors to work correctly with trailers

http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories...turecode=en-GB

I hope this helps
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 22:21   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnikgriff View Post
Folks

Getting my XC90 in a few weeks, will my parking sensors work okay with a fixed towbar. Looks like I will be okay, but obviously the towbar fitters are all trying to sell me a detachable one (which I'll never detact).

Thanks
No problem with reverse sensors and Volvo towbars , some non-volvo towbars are known not to work though also those protection plates you add for caravans and trailers can cause a malfunction with the ultrasonics too .
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 10:19   #13
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
No problem with reverse sensors and Volvo towbars , some non-volvo towbars are known not to work though also those protection plates you add for caravans and trailers can cause a malfunction with the ultrasonics too .
I think that this is why you need to have the official Volvo wiring fitted with the towbar. I have seen towbar electrics 'spliced' into the vehicle electrics using Scotchlocks which means that the reversing sensors still operate when a trailer is fitted.

I understood that a major function of the official Volvo parts are that they switch of the reversing sensors when a trailer is detected on the electrical circuit which enables you to reverse without the system indicating you are about to hit something. I think there isd also a software update required to make it all work correctly.

Please let me know if this is incorrect as it could save me a lot of money getting a towbar fitted to my XC60 (Wiring harness that integrate into the vehicle wiring seem to start at around £150 )
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 18:35   #14
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90caravanpuller View Post
How do I tell which I've got?
Does your car show a flashing <- -> indication on the instrument panel at the bottom RHS .... (same panel that shows the ignition warning/ seatbelt / parking brake etc) when using the indicators whilst a connection is made to the towbar plugs? .... if so then I believe you have a Volvo trailer module fitted (mine makes no beep sound just flashes the dash indication) ... the module should be fitted in the rear LHS wheel arch on the chassis rail at the same position as the rear fuse/relay panel..... remove the triangular carpet/foam packer and have a look.

hope it helps
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 18:43   #15
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I think there isd also a software update required to make it all work correctly.

Please let me know if this is incorrect as it could save me a lot of money getting a towbar fitted to my XC60 )

Not sure about the XC60 but the software update on the XC90 ONLY auto disables the rear fog light on connection, nothing else .... it all works out the box ....despite the horror stories that one Glasgow dealer tried to convince me about .... exploding rear fuse/relay panels and burned out rear UCH modules ..... CRAP .... the Volvo fitting instructions are very clear and concise and they also state that the software update is only required if the auto-off rear foglight sensing is required.

Hope it helps
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 15:50   #16
XC90caravanpuller
VOC Member

Default towbar electrics and sensor function

Thanks for all the detailed knowledge.
Got the car back after the warranty people OKed the repair.
£250 for one sensor replaced!
Cheque for 80% came this morning ( which was nice)!
I'm winterising the caravan this weekend so will connect up and see what happens.
Will post back when I can see which relay I've got!
Ross
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90caravanpuller For This Useful Post: