Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 bifuel - now refuses to run on LPG

Views : 18097

Replies : 64

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2009, 13:59   #11
MikeHill

Default Tank Solenoid valve repair/replacement

I finally put the car up on ramps yesterday, established that the power to the tank solenoid valve is active when the petrol/lpg switch is pressed but no sound or feel of the solenoid valve activating - effectively this is confirmed by the engine dying. The engine bay solenoid on the evaporator gas supply can clearly be heard to click.

The tank solenoid seems to be itself the only tank isolation valve and mounted on a pipe which itself is threaded directly into the tank end plate. So it seems to me that in order to service or replace the valve I will need to exhaust all the LPG from the tank - I think I can do that by breaking the slackening a nut on the gas filler pipeline somewhere in the open air with a cold engine and exhaust then unscrewing the lpg solenoid assembly from the tank? I don't think volvo offer offer the solenoid valve separately as a spare - just a complete end plate assembly at £864 !!

I tried giving some firm taps to the valve but it has not been persuaded to operate, the electrical connector looks fine and is itself quite well shielded.

Any experienced advice welcomed.

Mike Hill
MikeHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 17:00   #12
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Hi Mike,

no need to do that. Send me a pic of the valve and I will be able to match it. Chances are the coil is at fault. If so all you need do is replace that.

If the plunger is teh problem then you will have to release a little gas. Not a job for the inexperianced.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 19:03   #13
MikeHill

Default Making progress

Thanks for the assistance, I put her up on the ramps again this afternoon and managed to check the solenoid coil for continuity - having bought some superseal connectors from http://www.zackfords.co.uk - the coil was open circuit.

General corrosion was masking the fact that the solenoid should be easily removable once the 8mm bolt is removed. Sprayed it up with penetrant and gently "persuaded" it to come off. As a test I replaced it with the coil head from the front solenoid adjacent to the evaporator. Satisfying clunks now emanate from the solenoid as the gas is switched on and off.
So I have packed it with grease to try and prevent future corrosion and reassembled the back with that coil in place.

Now all I need to get back in the gas business is a replacement solenoid coil head "Med Tecnica Italy" 12V DC 11W. Does anyone know where they can be bought - or what will fit and work as a suitable alternative?
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 00:41   #14
FatLadZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHill View Post
Thanks for the assistance, I put her up on the ramps again this afternoon and managed to check the solenoid coil for continuity - having bought some superseal connectors from http://www.zackfords.co.uk - the coil was open circuit.

General corrosion was masking the fact that the solenoid should be easily removable once the 8mm bolt is removed. Sprayed it up with penetrant and gently "persuaded" it to come off. As a test I replaced it with the coil head from the front solenoid adjacent to the evaporator. Satisfying clunks now emanate from the solenoid as the gas is switched on and off.
So I have packed it with grease to try and prevent future corrosion and reassembled the back with that coil in place.

Now all I need to get back in the gas business is a replacement solenoid coil head "Med Tecnica Italy" 12V DC 11W. Does anyone know where they can be bought - or what will fit and work as a suitable alternative?

http://www.valves-online.co.uk/
FatLadZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 09:49   #15
MikeHill

Default LPG Solenoid coil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatLadZ View Post
Thanks for the thought but the configuration of the coil needed is fairly specific and sadly not available there - I have however found one which looks to be spot on at http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Partsrange__W0QQ_armrsZ1
Just waiting for it to arrive in the post!
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 13:30   #16
MikeHill

New solenoid coil arrived this morning, fitted to evaporator solenoid and now back cooking with gas!
Engine management light has come back on - I turned it off and it stayed off while running on petrol. The message related to misfire on cylinder 5 then, which I gather is not uncommon, I will probably find it is the same again but will chose to ignore it and check the codes every couple of weeks.
Thanks to everyone who has helped with their comments, observations and advice.
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 09:20   #17
MikeHill

Final follow up comment - I promise.
I searched this site on lpg misfire and on this thread:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=76567

Came across this brilliant entry by POUCH:

Hi i also have a 2003 bi fuel 140.000 on clock, iv'e done 70.000 in last two years,when i bought the car it had a missfire, so i disconected gas pipe below the filter,a small hiss is heard as the gas in the pipe is relessed,no problem just dont smoke
Then i poured half a bottle of STP injector cleaner down the pipe,reconected the pipe,started the engine waited for auto switch over,the car would spplutter and stall,then i leave the car for a few hours to let it desolve the oil deposits.
Then when i start it i takes a few seconds to clear, then runs like a dream,i do this process when ever it starts to miss or stall,or every 10.000 milles.I have tried diff types of cleaner and found this one to be best! good look

What a brilliant, easy and economical answer it has proved to be - my engine management light has now gone out!

I was anticipating planning a Saturday stripping down and cleaning the distributor as others have indicated it may solve the missfire message problem - what a relief.

Last edited by MikeHill; Nov 1st, 2009 at 09:23.
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 18:08   #18
cjr

Hi. I need some advice. My Bi fuel S80 has suffers from stuttering when running on gas. I received a quote for around £900 for it to be fixed, but after reading several threads seems like some tlc might just be the answer... however I am not technically minded! Any thoughts on where I can get help without splashing out £900 ?
cjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 19:31   #19
MikeHill

Please do consider giving this procedure a try, the only tool you will need is a screwdriver, it will take very little time and has worked wonders on our S80 Bifuel:

Buy a bottle of injector cleaner, disconnect the distributor feed gas tube from the filter - there will be a small escape of gas, do not smoke when doing this, probably best done with a cold engine. Pour half the can of injector cleaner into the tube, then reconnect. Start the engine on petrol, switch to gas and stop the engine as it splutters with the injector cleaner going into it. Leave to soak for an hour or so or even overnight, restart the engine on petrol then switch to gas - it may stall and you may have to repeat this a couple of times until all the cleaner has cleared and the flow of gas been re-established. I have just followed this procedure on my S80 factory bifuel with astonishing and pleasing results - it runs more smoothly now than it has since I bought it in Feb. Without the time and aggro of removing the distributor.

I think this procedure both cleans and lubricates the unit from the inside.
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 20:16   #20
cjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHill View Post
Please do consider giving this procedure a try, the only tool you will need is a screwdriver, it will take very little time and has worked wonders on our S80 Bifuel:

Buy a bottle of injector cleaner, disconnect the distributor feed gas tube from the filter - there will be a small escape of gas, do not smoke when doing this, probably best done with a cold engine. Pour half the can of injector cleaner into the tube, then reconnect. Start the engine on petrol, switch to gas and stop the engine as it splutters with the injector cleaner going into it. Leave to soak for an hour or so or even overnight, restart the engine on petrol then switch to gas - it may stall and you may have to repeat this a couple of times until all the cleaner has cleared and the flow of gas been re-established. I have just followed this procedure on my S80 factory bifuel with astonishing and pleasing results - it runs more smoothly now than it has since I bought it in Feb. Without the time and aggro of removing the distributor.

I think this procedure both cleans and lubricates the unit from the inside.
Mike thanks. I will try and locate the feed gas tube. Assume its disconnecting the green hose at front of diagram:

http://bioage.typepad.com/photos/unc..._schematic.jpg

would it be easier from the regulator end.... or is this the wrong hose?

Cheers
cjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lpg section, power loss