Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2008 C70 Trunk Divider Switch help

Views : 1261

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2020, 05:42   #1
Cemarek

Default 2008 C70 Trunk Divider Switch help

Hi, I am new to the forum and Volvo in general. I just got a low mileage 2008 C70. The Trunk divider that latches down into the two clips in the trunk floor is missing the Stud on the driver side which I believe activates the switch to allow the top to open and retract. Is there a way to by pass this switch? Can a magnet be used to activate it and cycle the roof up and down? I haven’t found a replacement divider yet to repair it and would like to cycle the roof to see if it works or if anything else needs attention. Thanks in advance for any input!
Cemarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 10:47   #2
pinballdave

It's a hall-sensor, so you just need a suitable sized bit of metal to trigger it.

If you compare the left and right hand latches, you should see that the right hand latch is a single piece moulding, and the left hand latch has a rectangular piece set into it. The rectangular piece is the tip of the hall-sensor.

If you duct tape a bolt on top of the sensor, it should be enough to trigger it.
pinballdave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballdave For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 10:59   #3
zapcity1

+1 on pinballdave's post.

I'm assuming your C70 is LHD so this makes sense The hall sensor for the roof divider is fitted to the LH divider clip in the floor (the RH clip is passive). If your bar/post is missing on the divider, then the sensor won't be triggered and you should get the divider warning on the dash.

If you havent seen it, then this doc. is very useful: -
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/c7...-Technical.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to zapcity1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 05:29   #4
Cemarek

Thanks for the help!
All I had to do was place a small magnet on the switch and it worked. I put a bolt on it first but it didn’t activate it.
Now I have another question, is there any sort of cleaner or conditioner I can use on all of the seals and weatherstripping? I hope to make this last as long as I can!
The Following User Says Thank You to Cemarek For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 11:38   #5
zapcity1

Good news on the divider.

Glad you are tackling the seals. Probably very wise in a Houston climate! They cost a fortunte to replace, so looking after them is so important, and regular lubrication will prevent leakage which can be disastrous.

I use the following regime (as per attached document): -

Put roof in service/maintenance position.
VIDA is useful to put the roof in the maintenance position as its awkward to reach all the seals. If you don't have VIDA, just stop the roof when it is about 3/4 open. Don't forget to complete the cycle when finished though.

Drop all the windows as you'll need to climb in the back of the car and get in some awkward positions!

Clean the seals thoroughly with water/shampoo to remove all the dirt. Make sure you get under the folds in the seals as the dirt and grit gets trapped easily. Let them dry for an hour. Follow this with a wipedown with Isopropyl Alcohol - IPA (1161721 or alternative from local supplier), then treat with Krytox GPL-105 [1161840] (not Nextzett gummi pflege stift as it doesn't last). I do this twice a year.
Don't forget to do the seals on the leading edge of the rear windows too!

ZAROX OYN 14 or Slugslime Fluorofluid are alternatives to Krytox. Krytox is expensive but you need only a tiny amount.

If you have time, I always do the seal cleaning process on all of the seals on the car (doors, boot etc.), plus check the boot drain holes near the rear windows when the boot is open. These block regularly and a poke around with a long zip tie normally does the trick in unblocking. If they are clear you will see water running out of the drains behind the rear wheels.

While the seals are drying, I do a quick lubrication of the roof mechanism too. I do this whole process twice a year, but annually should be ok.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Volvo C70 Roof Service.pdf (421.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by zapcity1; Jul 14th, 2020 at 13:36.
zapcity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 13:09   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemarek View Post
Thanks for the help!
All I had to do was place a small magnet on the switch and it worked. I put a bolt on it first but it didn’t activate it.
Now I have another question, is there any sort of cleaner or conditioner I can use on all of the seals and weatherstripping? I hope to make this last as long as I can!
Yes volvo do a kit of oil and an applicator, the rubbers should first be cleaned before treating with this special oil .The lubricant is Perfluorated oil 1161840
quite expensive .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1161840.jpg (110.5 KB, 4 views)
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 17:41   #7
Cemarek

Thanks for the info! I will search for these products here in the Houston area.
This is sort of a side question, will treating the seals help the windows slide on them easier? I noticed the drivers side window often sticks about 3/4” from fully closed at the top, sometimes a few cycles up and down will get it to close all the way, but it has on occasion stopped working and gone to the 1/2 way up position. I just let is sit for an hour or so and it then rolled up fine, but the only thing I can imagine might be happening is that it is hitting resistance on the seals before it is fully closed? Have you ever seen this type of thing happen?
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 18:18   #8
zapcity1

This thread might help.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...opping+halfway

Clan has some good advice within that might be useful.
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 21:10   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemarek View Post
Thanks for the info! I will search for these products here in the Houston area.
This is sort of a side question, will treating the seals help the windows slide on them easier? I noticed the drivers side window often sticks about 3/4” from fully closed at the top, sometimes a few cycles up and down will get it to close all the way, but it has on occasion stopped working and gone to the 1/2 way up position. I just let is sit for an hour or so and it then rolled up fine, but the only thing I can imagine might be happening is that it is hitting resistance on the seals before it is fully closed? Have you ever seen this type of thing happen?
Yes it will indeed help the glass slide over the rubber.
Old Jul 15th, 2020, 00:25   #10
Cemarek

Thank you guys so much, this forum has been very helpful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cemarek For This Useful Post: