Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Best advice for engine longevity?

Views : 2750

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2019, 18:47   #11
V50 Craig

Thanks for all the replies. It's a 6 speed manual not an auto, however a few weeks ago the gearbox came off to have a driveshaft input bearing replaced, so obviously fresh oil was put in it then. Just fingers crossed it lasts the time!
V50 Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 23:38   #12
The Thong
VOC Member

Ahhhh yer fine, they’re a robust gearbox. The clutches are rubbish on em, I have no faith in Dual Mass Clutches, mine failed at 75k which seems the average for em.

TT
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 11:40   #13
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
Ahhhh yer fine, they’re a robust gearbox. The clutches are rubbish on em, I have no faith in Dual Mass Clutches, mine failed at 75k which seems the average for em.

TT
Yet my previous tdi P1 is on 230,000 miles on original clutch and flywheel.
I accept the dual mass flywheel has a finite life unlike the seemingly unlimited of solid, however they are not inherently short lived if treated with a bit of mechanical sympathy.

I was taught to ease the gearstick through the gate with fingertips not ram it through as if it were a pump handle as I see so many do. To get the wheels rolling before giving it a boot full of revs not dump the clutch on 4k etc. It's shock loading kills the dm flywheel springs and it's weak or broken springs kill the dm flywheel.

5 ton sprinter cherry picker constantly on stop start journeys made it to 185k before new clutch and flywheel needed.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 19:22   #14
KerPLoD
240 Owner, VOC Member

I'm a bit late to the thread but 70mph is no better or worse (probably better being a diesel) than 60. I'd change the oil every 10k miles personally. Other than that, the fact you're taking it on long journeys will automatically make it more reliable than most cars of the same type.

I guess you could argue filling it up with decent fuel could help? Trouble is there's so many conflicting accounts on both sides it's hard to tell.
Check out the restoration of my 240 here...
KerPLoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 19:50   #15
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Yes premium fuel can help as it has additives which clean, enhance burn, etc. Only beneficial if used predominantly, long-term, though. A tenner here, half a tank there, sporadically, will do sod-all.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 21:47   #16
dingov70
Master Member

Stepping in here , from the motor trade view point . Regular oil & filter changes at less than the manufacturer's reccomendations is a sure fire winner .

Cheaper oil changed more often is way more beneficial than using better oil to it life limits , think about the junkbuilding up in suspension .

I test cars & vans all day long that are not due oil changes & the goop i find is not nice
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 23:24   #17
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Yet my previous tdi P1 is on 230,000 miles on original clutch and flywheel.
I accept the dual mass flywheel has a finite life unlike the seemingly unlimited of solid, however they are not inherently short lived if treated with a bit of mechanical sympathy.

I was taught to ease the gearstick through the gate with fingertips not ram it through as if it were a pump handle as I see so many do. To get the wheels rolling before giving it a boot full of revs not dump the clutch on 4k etc. It's shock loading kills the dm flywheel springs and it's weak or broken springs kill the dm flywheel.

5 ton sprinter cherry picker constantly on stop start journeys made it to 185k before new clutch and flywheel needed.

Paul.
Agreed, I still use old skool gear shifting and avoid off the mark stresses but the DMF’s do seem to be weaker than the old school clutches. 230K... impressive

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 00:20   #18
KerPLoD
240 Owner, VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post
Stepping in here , from the motor trade view point . Regular oil & filter changes at less than the manufacturer's reccomendations is a sure fire winner .

Cheaper oil changed more often is way more beneficial than using better oil to it life limits , think about the junkbuilding up in suspension .

I test cars & vans all day long that are not due oil changes & the goop i find is not nice
Absolutely agree - anecdotal I know but I knew of a chap with a 1.9TDi Golf MK V (horrid thing but each to their own) who did about 30,000 miles a year - he was having the oil changed every 9000 miles or so despite VW's much higher recommended intervals (12500 I think?) and it's not far off 300,000 miles.

Interestingly, there's a youtube channel called CarThrottle who bought a Skoda Octavia with 430,000 miles on the clock - all because the previous owner was OCD about preventative maintenance.
Check out the restoration of my 240 here...
KerPLoD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KerPLoD For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 09:05   #19
IainG
Premier Member

Hi

Quote:
The only thing I would change here is:-

I was always told an oil filter takes a while to become effective. Effectively the filter is slowly becoming more effective as it is slowly blocking up. So a filter tends to be changed when it is actually filtering at its best. But it has to be changed before it blocks and reduces oil flow or the bypass opens.

The compromise I have been taught is to change the filter on time but to do an intermediate oil change to improve the life of the engine.

Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 09:11   #20
dingov70
Master Member

Iain , I can see & understand the rationale in your comment , but me personally filter everytime for the small cost incurred . Especially when looking at cost of certain German makers engines £ 4 -6,000 inc labour .