Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlight fog lamps

Views : 1851

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2019, 20:35   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Stupid question .... or no! How do these spots fit to a 745 facelift style under bumper faring as the lower section has humps and bumps in places where I would imagine the spots fit? Bob
Spots???

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2019, 22:07   #12
bob12
bob12

OK ... front fog lights Dave! The question is how do they stick on to a facelift under bumper faring which has a 'slightly' different look for the earlier style.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2019, 23:05   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
OK ... front fog lights Dave! The question is how do they stick on to a facelift under bumper faring which has a 'slightly' different look for the earlier style.
That's a good question and one i don't have an answer to - yet! Only been thinking about it 3 years!

If/when i have needed to use the front fogs on my beast, i get congenital halfwits flashing because they think they are driving lights, for the simple reason they are above the bumper.

They soon wish they hadn't though!

They get a seriously bright eyeful and it's all legal!

Outer dipped beams, 2000Lm each of LED power, outer mains on "flash", another 2000Lm each of LED power.

Front fogs, 35W HID ~2000Lm each, inner main beams/auxiliary driving lamps 35W HID ~2000Lm each - total of 16000Lm of light!

Bear in mind one 55W halogen bulb is in the region of 12-1600Lm depending whether it's an ECP cheapie basic 55W halogen to get you through the MoT for tuppence ha'penny and a brass farthing or a F-expensive Nightbreaker that will burn itself out in short order (local Police go through a pair of Nightbreakers every 2 months on average) you can guess how bright it is!

For the record, "spot lamps" are no longer legal for road use in this country, haven't been for quite a long time since the KC Daylighters were outlawed in the early 70s because of problems with dazzle. The law back then was unclear about additional lighting and no recommendation was made for spot lamps. As such, they are outlawed by their exclusion from the Destruction & Abuse Regs for road use.

Front fogs must be equidistant horizontally from the centre line of the car and at any height up to 1200mm from the ground (that's 4' in old/real money) and driving lights, the long range things designed to ONLY work with full beam can be at any height but again, must be equidistant from the centre line of the car.

Getting back to your question though Bob, the pre-facelift 7xx had the holes ready for the brackets for the Bosch front fog kit to be fitted. The Ring ones i linked to above are basically the same lamps, initially made under licence from Bosch but i believe because they've now changed how the lens is secured (a better way in fact) that they no longer need the licence from Bosch and/or have bought the rights.

The facelift models don't have those brackets because they don't need them, the front fog lights are built into the main headlight units. Probably to improve aerodynamics i would think.
It's pretty much the same whatever car it is, if it was designed with front fogs originally, it's not going to be easy to fit alternative units. My Rover for example used Cibie front fogs as used on Renault 5 & 21 models from the mid/late 80s. Nothing else fits without modification, however the Ring units do fit with a custom bracket and a slight bit of trimming of the surrounding trim. At least they don't rust faster than a Lancia in a salt-bath!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Jul 5th, 2019 at 23:16.
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 10:12   #14
Forrest
VOC Member

In my very limited experience of fitting aftermarket fog lamps it is very difficult to get them to look right without having to remove scarily large portions of the spoiler. Without biting the bullet and doing this they tend to look very obviously “bolted on”. The last time I tried was on a mk2 Cavalier and I bought the proper Vauxhall/Opel kit that came with detailed instructions for butchering the spoiler. The results were OK, but I was never totally convinced worth the effort. I certainly don’t think I’d bother when the car already has perfectly serviceable front fogs. But each to their own.

If it were me I’d rather buy a pre-facelift 740/760 with the under-bumper lights already fitted. 🙂
Forrest is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 10:15   #15
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Thank you Forrest re your practical experience.

And on that experience I guess some modifications even done to manufacturers guidelines might put off purchasers when one comes to sell the car?

And. Yes. If possible buy a car with the spec one desires.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Jul 6th, 2019 at 10:30.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 10:41   #16
bob12
bob12

My facelift doesn't have built in fog lights or any fog lights come to that Dave. I shall have to look sometime to see if there is an aperture in back of the headlight where an extra bulb might fit and wiring in the loom.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 10:47   #17
Forrest
VOC Member

This thread on Turbobricks is worth a read for anyone contemplating such a project and wanting to get as close as possible to OEM.

http://www.turbobricks.org/forums/sh...d.php?t=290048

It’s about fog lamps for pre- and post-facelift 740s. Apparently, under-bumper kits did exist for post-facelift 740s. These would presumably fit a 940 with minimal modification.
Forrest is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 10:49   #18
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I do not know the car in issue here. Is it possible to buy the spoiler or whatever from the earlier car that foglights would naturally fit, so a totally OK result can be achieved?

Just an idea without knowing anything about the car design &c.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Jul 6th, 2019 at 10:56.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 10:52   #19
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
This thread on Turbobricks is worth a read for anyone contemplating such a project and wanting to get as close as possible to OEM.

http://www.turbobricks.org/forums/sh...d.php?t=290048

It’s about fog lamps for pre- and post-facelift 740s. Apparently, under-bumper kits did exist for post-facelift 740s. These would presumably fit a 940 with minimal modification.
That sounds interesting.
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 10:58   #20
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That's a good question and one i don't have an answer to - yet! Only been thinking about it 3 years!

If/when i have needed to use the front fogs on my beast, i get congenital halfwits flashing because they think they are driving lights, for the simple reason they are above the bumper.

They soon wish they hadn't though!

They get a seriously bright eyeful and it's all legal!

Outer dipped beams, 2000Lm each of LED power, outer mains on "flash", another 2000Lm each of LED power.

Front fogs, 35W HID ~2000Lm each, inner main beams/auxiliary driving lamps 35W HID ~2000Lm each - total of 16000Lm of light!

Bear in mind one 55W halogen bulb is in the region of 12-1600Lm depending whether it's an ECP cheapie basic 55W halogen to get you through the MoT for tuppence ha'penny and a brass farthing or a F-expensive Nightbreaker that will burn itself out in short order (local Police go through a pair of Nightbreakers every 2 months on average) you can guess how bright it is!

For the record, "spot lamps" are no longer legal for road use in this country, haven't been for quite a long time since the KC Daylighters were outlawed in the early 70s because of problems with dazzle. The law back then was unclear about additional lighting and no recommendation was made for spot lamps. As such, they are outlawed by their exclusion from the Destruction & Abuse Regs for road use.

Front fogs must be equidistant horizontally from the centre line of the car and at any height up to 1200mm from the ground (that's 4' in old/real money) and driving lights, the long range things designed to ONLY work with full beam can be at any height but again, must be equidistant from the centre line of the car.

Getting back to your question though Bob, the pre-facelift 7xx had the holes ready for the brackets for the Bosch front fog kit to be fitted. The Ring ones i linked to above are basically the same lamps, initially made under licence from Bosch but i believe because they've now changed how the lens is secured (a better way in fact) that they no longer need the licence from Bosch and/or have bought the rights.

The facelift models don't have those brackets because they don't need them, the front fog lights are built into the main headlight units. Probably to improve aerodynamics i would think.
It's pretty much the same whatever car it is, if it was designed with front fogs originally, it's not going to be easy to fit alternative units. My Rover for example used Cibie front fogs as used on Renault 5 & 21 models from the mid/late 80s. Nothing else fits without modification, however the Ring units do fit with a custom bracket and a slight bit of trimming of the surrounding trim. At least they don't rust faster than a Lancia in a salt-bath!

I dissociate myself from David's posted comments re when oncoming drivers flash their headlights possibly or apparently to alert him that they are suffering dazzle.