Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlight fog lamps

Views : 1842

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2019, 13:16   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post

I dissociate myself from David's posted comments re when oncoming drivers flash their headlights possibly or apparently to alert him that they are suffering dazzle.

The (very severe) cut-off on the fogs is below the top level of the dipped beams - confirmed with a headlight beam setter.

No light scatter into the dazzle area either, therefore they are not being dazzled. They're just not used to seeing fog lights above the bumper.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 14:39   #22
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The (very severe) cut-off on the fogs is below the top level of the dipped beams - confirmed with a headlight beam setter.

No light scatter into the dazzle area either, therefore they are not being dazzled. They're just not used to seeing fog lights above the bumper.
Whee the lights are mounted is not really relevant. Oncoming drivers do not know where the lights are mounted. What makes you think they flash in comment at where the lights are mounted?

They appear to experience dazzle. Why else would they "flash" except they are experiencing dazzle?

If an oncoming driver has dazzle they have dazzle. I should hppe that you might for example ask for your car to be examined by a Vehicle Examiner.

Aggressive powerful light response by you is seriously even possibly lethally dangerous.

Probably....Dangerous Driving.

Just my opinion.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 14:54   #23
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
This thread on Turbobricks is worth a read for anyone contemplating such a project and wanting to get as close as possible to OEM.

http://www.turbobricks.org/forums/sh...d.php?t=290048

It’s about fog lamps for pre- and post-facelift 740s. Apparently, under-bumper kits did exist for post-facelift 740s. These would presumably fit a 940 with minimal modification.
Thanks Forrest that link seems to clarify matters for the facelift - Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 14:57   #24
bob12
bob12

Quote:
I do not know the car in issue here. Is it possible to buy the spoiler or whatever from the earlier car that foglights would naturally fit, so a totally OK result can be achieved?

Just an idea without knowing anything about the car design &c.
Not readily possible, if at all, as the design and underlying metal work of front end is different. Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 15:15   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Whee the lights are mounted is not really relevant. Oncoming drivers do not know where the lights are mounted. What makes you think they flash in comment at where the lights are mounted?

They appear to experience dazzle. Why else would they "flash" except they are experiencing dazzle?

If an oncoming driver has dazzle they have dazzle. I should hppe that you might for example ask for your car to be examined by a Vehicle Examiner.

Aggressive powerful light response by you is seriously even possibly lethally dangerous.

Probably....Dangerous Driving.

Just my opinion.

Your opinion is WRONG. It has passed 3 MoTs with flying colours with the current lighting set up - FACT.

If anyone is culpable of dangerous driving it is them, for flashing when there is no need, they are trying to police the (factory) position of my fog lights without knowing what they are. Just like YOU in fact.

If it was every oncoming driver that did it, you might have a point but it is NOT.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 16:11   #26
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Your opinion is WRONG. It has passed 3 MoTs with flying colours with the current lighting set up - FACT.

If anyone is culpable of dangerous driving it is them, for flashing when there is no need, they are trying to police the (factory) position of my fog lights without knowing what they are. Just like YOU in fact.

If it was every oncoming driver that did it, you might have a point but it is NOT.
There is nothing further that I wish to say.

Old Jul 6th, 2019, 18:38   #27
Forrest
VOC Member

Whilst reluctant to get involved in this spat, which I can see both sides of, it’s worth noting that front fog lamps aren’t currently checked in the UK MOT. They will be (if present - they are not a legal requirement) on cars first used after 1st March 2018 when they become due for an MOT from 2021. This will not apply to our cars which are all likely pre-1999.

I always try to resist the temptation deliberately to dazzle drivers who appear to fail to dip their lights. Modern headlights tend to dazzle me anyway and you cannot always tell if they are on main or dipped beam.

However, if an approaching driver deliberately flashes because they believe you to have neglected to dip your lights it does not seem unreasonable to me to pull the headlight stalk in response to their gentle reminder to do this. If this results in several million candle power of main beam and driving lamps shining back at them then so be it. Their “bad” I’d say. You have merely performed the logical and polite response to their own deliberate gesture.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 19:09   #28
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Whilst reluctant to get involved in this spat, which I can see both sides of, it’s worth noting that front fog lamps aren’t currently checked in the UK MOT. They will be (if present - they are not a legal requirement) on cars first used after 1st March 2018 when they become due for an MOT from 2021. This will not apply to our cars which are all likely pre-1999.

I always try to resist the temptation deliberately to dazzle drivers who appear to fail to dip their lights. Modern headlights tend to dazzle me anyway and you cannot always tell if they are on main or dipped beam.

However, if an approaching driver deliberately flashes because they believe you to have neglected to dip your lights it does not seem unreasonable to me to pull the headlight stalk in response to their gentle reminder to do this. If this results in several million candle power of main beam and driving lamps shining back at them then so be it. Their “bad” I’d say. You have merely performed the logical and polite response to their own deliberate gesture.
Errr, what spat?

Just someone trying to while away the hours by goading people into a response that could be construed as aggressive, abusive or similar - i've simply stated the facts with added emphasis (underlining/bold type) to try and get the misunderstood message of what i was saying.

However you've obviously understood everything i said without the need for it so i was presumably fairly clear in my woding the first time.

Anyway, that aside, just to add an extra bit of clarification as you reminded me, fog lights and driving lamps aren't routinely tested on older cars, except for function. "If fitted they must work" is usually the response i've had when i've asked about front fog lamps.

The MoT tester i've used for the past 15 years has rarely put the front fogs or driving lamps on the beam setter unless he thinks they may be out of alignment. I've never had that happen on any of my cars and not had a failure for headlamp misalignment either.
I also invested in a headlight beam setter (ex MoT station) some years back so i can definitely check, to MoT standard, that my headlights, driving lights and front fog lights are all performing within the prescribed limits.

The Constructions & Use Regulations (aka Destruction & Abuse Regs) are an absolute minefield and also contain a few contradictory things (to a point) so you have to basically read them re-read and then try and work out what you can and can't do.
For example, i've added DLRs (Daytime Running Lights) to my non-Volvo and make use of the original indicator housing with a two-colour LED bulb and removing the original internal orange diffuser. Nothing in the law or MoT egs that say this can't/shouldn't be done.
Likewise on the rear, i have used similar LED bulbs so the indicators also serve duty as additional reversing lamps - again, nothing to say it can't be done and said vehicle has passed 2 MoTs like it.

Old Jul 7th, 2019, 13:34   #29
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

For wht it may be worth.

As I have explained. I don't see how oncoming drivers would know where David's lights are mounted. He gets "flashed" often enpugh to mention it....in connection with foglights. It seems possible or likely that the drivers experience some dazzle.

I have no concern about where David's lights are mounted.

David and I have expressed our different opinions. His opinion about the other drivers and about me. My opinion about his use of his lights. I still hold that opinion. We are simply disagreed.

Except that I still see a lot of good in David. A lot of, I sadly know he won't like this wording but it is my way of saying it, I see a lot of that which is of God within him.

There is nothing to see here.

And there really is nothing further that I wish to say.

Old Jul 12th, 2019, 00:35   #30
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

There was indeed a facelift 740 (non-GLT/Turbo, so no integrated foglights) under-bumper foglight kit. That applies to US-spec 940s, too, some of which had the "facelift 740 non-fog" front. I *think* the bumpers are the same, so there ought to be a method for mounting them. They are mounted in plastic moulded pods which hang under the bumper.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post: