Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sun Roofs?

Views : 1665

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2014, 11:52   #1
Jack Spaniel

Default Sun Roofs?

I have a question.
Looking at many for sale ads for 240s, and many quote a sun roof.

Are these after market items where you cut a hole in the roof with a jig saw and fit them yourself?
or
Was there a factory fitted sun roof option? Electric or otherwise?
1 x 244
Jack Spaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 12:31   #2
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Others will know better than me and a search of the forum will produce some information.

I'm fairly sure my metal tilt/slide sun roof is genuine Volvo, factory fitted? It has a proper Volvo dashboard switch.

I understand some other sun roofs were fitted by the Volvo dealers as extras.

I tend to the view that it is better not to have a sun roof. It's something else to leak or otherwise go wrong. Fitting it might well involve cutting some strength out of the roof.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 13:12   #3
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

In general, I'm inclined to share 'Stephen Edwin's' view that simpler is better when it comes to cars. Having said that, I do love my sunroof and leccy windows!

None of our 240s - and we've owned five, including DL, GL & GLT - had sun-rooves fitted but that doesn't mean that they weren't! I have seen some horrible after-market glass panels, often badly fitted, that caused me to reject an otherwise suitable car.

All of our 740s, of which we've had three, and my 940, have been equipped with factory-fitted sun-rooves. The 7's were / are manually operated and the 9's was electric - all were / are leak free and reliable.
john.wigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 16:11   #4
Jack Spaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
have been equipped with factory-fitted sun-rooves. :
I had quite an argument with myself over roofs versus rooves. Thought about horses and hooves, but rooves just did not look right. Still don't know which is correct.
1 x 244
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Spaniel For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 18:39   #5
wooble
Stay gold baby!

If a saloon has a sunroof it is probably factory, quite a lot of saloons were equipped with a metal hand-cranked tilt and slide roof from the factory. There was an accessory kit to convert it to electric operation (basically a blanking plate + motor that fit over the winder and a dash switch, this might even have become standard-fit later on? I've never owned a saloon, so I'm open to corrections.

A factory fit sunroof on estates is incredibly rare. I would have said nonexistent, but last time I made that claim somebody popped up and said they'd seen one. either way, 99.999% of sunroofs on estates are aftermarket, and worth avoiding.

The only factory roofs were metal tilt + slide, anything with a glass pop-up style one is a retrofit. Some were offered by dealers even, but they're generally still awful. I've stripped two cars out which were so equipped, and in both cases I found that the installer of the sunroof, finding the transverse reinforcing bar (which runs between the b-pillars and provides strength in case of side impact or rollover) was in the way, had neatly solved the problem by cutting it out and throwing it away. I don't want to thing what that must have done for the impact resistance of the car.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 22:15   #6
Lucien
VOC Member

Steel sliding sunroofs were a factory option and fitted as standard to the later ('87 on?) GLT saloons (not estates). They didn't tilt though other than downwards so as to slide under the rear of the car's roof.

Dealers also sold the dealer-fit moonroof option (pop up only and a glass (plastic?) panel). They weren't nice.

An electric sunroof is very rare. I've only ever seen a couple before. Would appreciate pictures if you have them!

Kind regards
Lucien
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 23:50   #7
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

My 92 SE estate has a metal electric tilt or slide decided by a switch on the dashboard, sunroof. Where it was fitted, I don't know.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2014, 11:27   #8
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I had an early (round headlight) saloon which had an original metal sliding roof (not a window).

My 1989 DL estate had a tilt-up window. It was real glass, not plastic, and marked Volvo.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2014, 13:21   #9
rusty244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien View Post
Steel sliding sunroofs were a factory option and fitted as standard to the later ('87 on?) GLT saloons (not estates). They didn't tilt though other than downwards so as to slide under the rear of the car's roof.

Dealers also sold the dealer-fit moonroof option (pop up only and a glass (plastic?) panel). They weren't nice.

An electric sunroof is very rare. I've only ever seen a couple before. Would appreciate pictures if you have them!

Kind regards
Lucien
Yep, my granddad's '91 saloon has a factory option manual metal sunroof. Only slide operation available, doesn't have a tilt feature.
rusty244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2014, 16:39   #10
Jack Spaniel

OK got all that. Now about this roofs/rooves dilemma, what do you think?
1 x 244