Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1.6D Starting Problem

Views : 1790

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2016, 22:13   #1
BrokenVolvo

Default 1.6D Starting Problem

Needing some help with my Volvo 50 1.6D.

A couple of weeks ago i went out and started it up and first thing i noticed was it didn't first up first turn like it normally did. The engine then ran for a few seconds before cutting out. It ran smooth and didn't splutter or stall.

Then when i tried to restart it it turned over for between 45-60 Seconds before spluttering for a few times before starting up. Then the rest of the day it is fine the only thing it may take 2 or 3 turn overs before starting but won't cut out.

Its only doing this on the first start of the day.

It has been into the garage twice now and they still not found the problem. The first time they took it to volvo who diagnosed pedal switch (Didn't sound right to me) got it back and worked fine for 2 days before the exact same issue happened again. So off it went back to the garage.

They phoned today to say its ready. Asked what they did and didn't really get an answer from them on it but said they have sorted it. They are saying there is no error codes or anything displayed. I am very dubious of this and expecting when i go out in the morning it will do the exact same as before.

I have tried searching the net and the forum but not found this fault anywhere. Has anyone ever come across this and able to point me towards what the problem is?
BrokenVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2016, 10:33   #2
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Maybe air getting into the system? Any leak off pipes on it?
Old May 24th, 2016, 11:13   #3
BrokenVolvo

Thanks for the reply.

As predicted it has done the exact same this morning so i will be on to the garage shortly. I have video of it every time on a morning doing the same thing.

Is there anyway i can easily test this? I find it strange how it only does it once a day first thing on the morning and it doesnt splutter splat and runs smooth and just cuts out like i turned the key off.

Also missed off the original post its a 59 plate and done 101k on the clock.
Old May 24th, 2016, 11:59   #4
ovlov236

Default v50 1.6

Hi
Has The Fuel Filter Been Changed ?
ovlov236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2016, 12:00   #5
BrokenVolvo

Yeah that was changed recently.
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 13:14   #6
veloce288

Hi, I'm from Italy and I have a V50 D2 r-design My12 and have the same problem. It is random not every day but last time the engine the engine needed 3 long ignition tests before resuming and running properly. No errors...... I still have to replace the diesel fuel filter
veloce288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2017, 13:03   #7
Billggski

It sounds like fuel starvation, fuel pump on its way out? Or an air leak allowing the fuel to run back?
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote