Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

20" Wheels - excessive road noise

Views : 102889

Replies : 1289

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 15th, 2017, 11:50   #1171
skyefarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver Dave View Post
Skyefarmer, which tyres have you got fitted to your 20" wheels, are they the standard Continentals or the Contisilents.

My standards were swapped for Contisilents by Volvo UK after a number of emails from myself and my dealer complaining of excessive noise from the tyres.

The change to Contisilents made a huge difference with a further drop in road noise when I switched to 18" rims with winter tyres.
Driver Dave, I've got the Contisilents, unfortunately (had hoped that I hadn't and switch would fix problem). I'm currently planning on buying the Volvo winter wheels 19" 10-spoke with Pirelli Scorpion Winter tyres. See how they go for the winter, and then possibly switch to Michelin Cross Climate. Bizarrely, this is the "cheapest" way to stay OEM. Anyone else tried the Pirelli Scorpion Winters?
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 18:42   #1172
Wobbly

I did the same thing on my XC60 - got a good deal on Volvo alloys which arrived wearing the Scorpion tyres. Based on my experience with the tyre I have nothing but good things to say about them.
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 08:55   #1173
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyefarmer View Post
No news, but I would just add that I don't think Volvo has admitted anything. When confronted with my (and the dealer's) view that the car suffers from excessive road noise, their response was simply "it's a characteristic of the car" in the same way that a car has a four corners and a steering wheel. My interpretation was "you can lump it".
I have to disagree that Volvo haven't admitted anything. Back in August 2016 I posted to this thread the first details of Volvo working with tyre manufacturers to develop a quieter running tyre for the car, and some modifications to suspension which were on there way. Since then we've had the ContiSilent tyres, the suspension mod and the b-pillar fix. So while I don't disagree that the levels of road noise in the cabin are still not really on par with those of a luxury SUV, Volvo have been doing something about it.

I believe that part of the problem is Volvo UK's customer service team, who seem to know very little and often just send you back to your dealer. And there seems to be a huge variation in the quality of after sales service from dealers too.

Fortunately, I've been very happy with my dealership and the way in which they've handles all my issues, including this road noise problem.

So while Volvo UK and some dealerships aren't great at dealing with the complaints, we can't say Volvo have done nothing about it.

:wq
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 08:57   #1174
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I had B post mod carried out, cant convince myself it made any real difference to the noise that sounds like a window slightly open or rear door not closed properly
While i'm only slightly convinced by the effects of the ContiSilent tyres, I have to say I've not been able to detect the rear window slightly open sound following the b post modification, this mod may quite a difference in my mind. But everyone's hearing is different!

Old Sep 20th, 2017, 18:29   #1175
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
I have to disagree that Volvo haven't admitted anything. Back in August 2016 I posted to this thread the first details of Volvo working with tyre manufacturers to develop a quieter running tyre for the car, and some modifications to suspension which were on there way. Since then we've had the ContiSilent tyres, the suspension mod and the b-pillar fix. So while I don't disagree that the levels of road noise in the cabin are still not really on par with those of a luxury SUV, Volvo have been doing something about it.

I believe that part of the problem is Volvo UK's customer service team, who seem to know very little and often just send you back to your dealer. And there seems to be a huge variation in the quality of after sales service from dealers too.

Fortunately, I've been very happy with my dealership and the way in which they've handles all my issues, including this road noise problem.

So while Volvo UK and some dealerships aren't great at dealing with the complaints, we can't say Volvo have done nothing about it.

What was the suspension mod?
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 19:30   #1176
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
What was the suspension mod?
I'm not sure exactly what the part is that's changed, but there is a new/different part they fit if you report knocking from the front suspension at low speed. When I had it done, I thought it was just a part replacement for a fault, but having spoken to the dealership yesterday, I realise they fit a modified part.

Old Sep 21st, 2017, 01:16   #1177
neon
Premier Member

Thanks, do you think it is worth getting done to reduce road noise.
Old Sep 21st, 2017, 13:42   #1178
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
Thanks, do you think it is worth getting done to reduce road noise.
I think its only applied to your vehicle if you are getting knocking sounds from your suspension. So it doesn't help with background road noise, but it does fix noise from suspension at lower speeds.

The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 09:51   #1179
skyefarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post

Different perspectives, I guess. Being late to the party, my 2017 came with all the mods and tyres which resulted from the dissatisfaction of earlier buyers. But it's still noisy. Volvo have done nothing for me. I've ordered the 19" winter wheels with Pirelli Scorpion Winter tyres for £1,600 with no guarantee that the tyre noise will improve. And I'll have an unwanted set of 20" with ContiSilents in the garage.
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 00:54   #1180
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyefarmer View Post
Different perspectives, I guess. Being late to the party, my 2017 came with all the mods and tyres which resulted from the dissatisfaction of earlier buyers. But it's still noisy. Volvo have done nothing for me. I've ordered the 19" winter wheels with Pirelli Scorpion Winter tyres for £1,600 with no guarantee that the tyre noise will improve. And I'll have an unwanted set of 20" with ContiSilents in the garage.
I ended up doing a similiar thing but have the contisilents and I am using them in the summer. 19" in the wintern to make do. I agree it could be much better after paying £55k and disappointed Volvo have not followed through with a more permanent fix. This is really the only big area for me that is a negative on a great car and would potentially make me look at alternatives if I was buying again, but not enough for me to change now.

Last edited by neon; Oct 2nd, 2017 at 01:00.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote